Female mice bullying each other? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Female mice bullying each other?

Hi. I have two female mice living in a 10-gallon tank together, I've had them for a couple of months (adopted them in December from a small pet store). I didn't notice until recently, Maybe they just started, But lately there has been squeaking noises coming from inside the tank. I run over and check on them, But by the time I get there whatever they are doing they've stopped. I've never seen them be aggressive with each other, I've tamed them and I always handle them together, They sometimes groom each other but it's mutual and neither looks more of an alpha than the other when they do. They both have access to clean water and food constantly, They are about the same size, And they have 3 hides at the moment (it gets changed around every week when I clean their cage, But they always have at least 2 hides, one for each).

Are my mice bullying each other? Or is the squeaking them just communicating or...? I don't have the money or space to have two separate cages for them both, And I can't give one up. I also heard somewhere that you should have at least three together because their hierarchy will be unbalanced or something? I'd like to get a third mouse but I don't know when or if I'll be allowed.

Please help! Thanks for any info or suggestions. I don't want my babies being mean to one another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Newborn Pup

I would suggest trying the split cage method and try to get them to get along again.

If you are unfamiliar with the split cage method, here is how it goes:
The split cage method is when two small animals are not getting along or you are trying to introduce them. Though you do not have two cages, this is a temporary setting until they get along. You split the cage with mesh wire, a lid, etc. where they can still see and smell each other. Every day, switch the mice, so if one is on the left, switch her to the right and if the other one is on the right, switch her to the left, so there will be the smells of the other mouse. After about 1-2 weeks, or whenever you feel they are ready, take out the divider

For more info on the split cage method; (I can't add a link but, Google split cage method)There are many great websites out there that can help for sure! I hope this helps

-PawPrintPug

Eden :-)

Ming (pug) 13 years
Mei-Mei (pug) 4 years
Teagan (Gerbil) 2 months old
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPrintPug View Post
I would suggest trying the split cage method and try to get them to get along again.

If you are unfamiliar with the split cage method, here is how it goes:
The split cage method is when two small animals are not getting along or you are trying to introduce them. Though you do not have two cages, this is a temporary setting until they get along. You split the cage with mesh wire, a lid, etc. where they can still see and smell each other. Every day, switch the mice, so if one is on the left, switch her to the right and if the other one is on the right, switch her to the left, so there will be the smells of the other mouse. After about 1-2 weeks, or whenever you feel they are ready, take out the divider

For more info on the split cage method; (I can't add a link but, Google split cage method)There are many great websites out there that can help for sure! I hope this helps

-PawPrintPug
I'll try that next time I hear them bullying each other, Thanks!
But I don't have an extra water bottle I can use, They share one, Could I use a bowl? or is that a bad idea? I don't have any access to a pet store right now as the nearest one is an hour away and I can't drive :I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Newborn Pup

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyvayle View Post
I'll try that next time I hear them bullying each other, Thanks!
But I don't have an extra water bottle I can use, They share one, Could I use a bowl? or is that a bad idea? I don't have any access to a pet store right now as the nearest one is an hour away and I can't drive :I
I think the Bowl would be dangerous for your mice,(It doesn't take much to for them to accidentally drown) So here are some options

1) Order a water bottle from an website that sends out mail (Such as Amazon, Petco, PetSmart, etc.)

2) Make a DIY water bottle (I cannot put a link, but I will direct you to get there) all you need is a disposable water bottle, a marble, and a drill. (And adult supervision if you aren't one...lol) I'm sure that there are other videos but this is the one I found on YouTube it is called: "Homemade Water Dispenser Bottle For Pets" and it is by RandomRaptor679 I have not tried this diy for my gerbil, but judging from the comments, it worked for a lot of people. Oh, and of course you want to monitor this, because it is made at home, there is always a risk that it could break.

Hope this helps!
-PawPrintPug

Eden :-)

Ming (pug) 13 years
Mei-Mei (pug) 4 years
Teagan (Gerbil) 2 months old

Tags
mice