Finally pics of the whole rattie family - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Finally pics of the whole rattie family

I finally got an opportunity to shoot pics of everyone. Enjoy!

This is Peaches, our beige berkshire female, so sweet and calm for a girl

This is Boris, my sweet hairless rescue everyone's heard me talk about!

This is Lucy, my pink eyed white, still skiddish but getting there

This is Genie our black berkshire, freaking escape artist and freaking pregnant (no idea how some pet owners can be so irresponsible)

Last but not least this is my dumbo Figaro, and my constant shoulder rat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:17 PM

Whoa. Genie looks creepily similair to my male, seymour, even down to the white belly. SO CUUTE!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 12:41 AM

OK I think I've reached my cuteness limit for the day! Absolutely buetifull! Is Boris true hairless or double rex? He looks pretty fuzzy but hard to tell either way he's a cutiepie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 06:16 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

aww they are all so cue, I love Figaros markings!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for all the compliments! I'm certainly proud of them! To tell you the truth I have no idea what Boris's genetics are. We rescued him from a petstore that was about to put him in the feeder bin due to his hernia. All I can say is that he has curly whiskers, lots of fine peach fuzz all over, but no real hairy patches. Oh, he also has a gray sadle mark on his back and gray on one side of his face. All of this can give me clues as to his genetic background, but I'm sure we'll never really know.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Will It Ever Change?

well, generally a hairless is called a double rex, that means single rex= curly whiskers and fur, double rex=hairless and explains the curly whiskers. he's super cute! i love figaro, he looks sooooo cuddly

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Actually, as far as I can tell from relatively minimal research, there are three genetic sources of hairlessness, nu/nu, hr/hr and of course Re/Re (believe that's the code for double rex.) All three have curly whiskers. The nu and hr typically have less hair, having no patches and little if any peach fuzz, whereas the double rex have more peach fuzz or even patches of thick hair. So if he was totally without peach fuzz it would be easy to say what he is, or if he had thick patches it would be easy to say what he is, but because he's right in the middle with loads of peach fuzz, it's kinda hard. I could tell by breeding him because double rex is dominate, so if bred with a normal coat female there would be rex babies, the other genes are recessive so off spring with a normal coat female would be carriers but would have a coat like their mama. Unfortunately I'll never be able to test it in this manner because Boris has a hernia which can be a genetic defect, so I suppose we'll never know for sure.

Yes, Figaro is super cuddly so is Peaches. My others are very active and lots of fun to watch and play with, but they are my sweet kiss-giving, cuddly shoulder rats, and there's nothing like a sweet cuddly rat to make your day better
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:25 PM

My best guess would be double rex, bottom line tho....who cares, he's gorgeous!! LOL I was just curious really they are all bueties!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:34 PM

Very, very sweet!

What cute rats you have! I like Boris best, I have a bit of a soft spot for furless rats. My Eve is bald and also has a tiny hernia, the vet said it wasn't too much to worry about. Glad you saved Boris from the bin.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Boris and Figaro are in one cage and then Lucy and Genie are together in one. So far Peaches is still on quarantine in a whole separate floor of the house because she's new, but she will eventually go in the big cage with the girls. I do love Boris the best probably. He has so much personality and he's such a mama's boy!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Cute rats!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:29 PM

Cute pictures! I especially love your hairless guy.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Great looking rats!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for all the compliments! I like Boris best too, but shh don't tell the others, they all think they're my favorite!

Tags
pet owner, pink eyed white, white belly