First rat soon - Page 10 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 02:07 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I agree completely. Good for you. Rats are just so wonderful and loving. They really do bring so much joy to us. That is one of the reasons it is so hard to lose them.

Gracie would be proud of you.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

This is NOT Gracie, but it looks a lot like her. I never got any pictures of Gracie.

[This rat is from a rescue called Chelle's Critter Haven, and her name is Jessie.]
post #138 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 03:39 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh my, she is beautiful! Jessie looks like such a sweetheart.

Is she a possibility for when you are set to adopt new girls?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 03:40 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Jessie looks exactly like my boy Maximus, who is a Berkshire. Dark chocolate fur with a white belly and white forearms. Very cute!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #140 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Playful Pup

Aprilleigh I am SO SORRY for you loss, all your girls had such short lives, but I can guarantee that time spent with you and your family was the best time of their lives. You are most definitely a good rattie mom.
In your case I would steer clear of Petco at this point for sure, something just doesn't seem right to me. even my local Petco is iffy to me when it comes to any animal they have there....although I did get my lovely Isabel (rat) there. The main issue with my situation was I only went in to buy me some new mice since my previous two passed away from cancer...and I saw Isabel. She was just so precious and gorgeous, they were selling her half off because she was missing her eye. To me that just seemed strange...and so never owning a rat before I took her in, took her to the vet and found out other than her eye she is completely healthy. even to this day I am very wary of Petco, I always see male mice who have open wounds and sores, its very upsetting to me cause I am an absolute animal freak.
So there is no doubt in my mind that your girls may have already been sick prior to you getting them. Do you have any other pet stores? More Local rather than a nation wide company?
I know it will probably be hard to take in more ratties, but maybe going through another local pet store, or heading down to the spca, or a breeder will be the best of luck for you.

please do keep us updated. And again I am so very sorry for your loss, it's always hard when you lose a family member no matter how big or small.

My thoughts are with you <3

Trixie, Daisy, and Gracie are in a better place now free from any sickness they had while in our world. And it's comforting to know that my girls now have new friends over the rainbow bridge.

*Love sent from my "zoo"; Isabel (rat), Ava (rat), Sable(mouse), Raina (mouse), Nakotah (mouse), and Esme (mouse).

My animals are my babies:
Cats: Abegale, Figaro, Chud and Adalynn
Ferrets: Panda & Fox
Mice: Nakotah, Raina and Esme (all white)
Rats: Ava (white&gray) and Isabel *new addition* Opal and Zuri (part siamese)
My Parents Cats (I love them like they are my own): Cutie, Grey, Precious, Milo, Belindo (aka Billy), Oreo, Pepper, Koda and Fluffers

Rest in Peace all my babies I miss you dearly:
Mice: Sable (March 2013), Piper (March 2012), Kayleigh (Dec 31, 2011), Eleanor, Analeghsia, Chloe and Zoey.
My Kitties I grew up with: Babs, Gonzo. Moon and Angel
My kitties who never came back home: Peach and Buster
I miss you all, you will forever hold a place in my Heart <3
post #141 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Nice post Summerclara, that was so sweet. I agree. Our babies all get to spend wonderful time with each other at the Bridge, agreed.

I believe that April was planning on getting some girls from a local rescue place, correct? (In case Aprilleigh is reading this) which I think is terrific! We adopted our first two boys from a breeder, but the second time around with our new adopted boys, we decided we really wanted to get rescue kiddos that needed a home.

(Not to imply that pet store rats do not need homes though! But...)

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #142 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Jessie and her cagemate would be possibilities except they are not local. The local rescue didn't have any that looked like Gracie.

I used to have a local store I went to for all my aquarium needs (bought both of the big tanks there, and most of my fish) that also had a few rats, but the owners retired and closed up shop over the holidays (they had tried to sell the store a few years ago, but had no serious takers). The other store I like sometimes has a chinchilla or two, but other than that it's all fish.

I will say the local Petco takes very good care of their animals, but they have no control over what problems they arrive with from the vendor. They can reject any obviously sick animal, but that's it. There are other Petcos in my area that aren't as diligent.

Tags
new rat, new rat owner, rat