Flicks keeps attacking monty! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Flicks keeps attacking monty!

anyone got any tips on introducting a new rat to a old one? ive cleaned the cage out totally and moved everything around. Introduced them on nutral ground but as soon as they get in the case Flicks (the bigger older one) hisses and constantly bits monty.
Im at a lost, the other older rat loves monty and plays peacefully with her, its just flicks. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

hmmmmm... I'm not sure, there is not a lot you can do, but keep trying to introduce them on a regular basis, they should get used to eachothe eventually, I think...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Try another cage. When I first put Figaro in with Boris (the older dominant rat) they did fine on neutral territory, but when I put Figgy in Boris's cage (even when it was washed) Boris didn't like it because that was his territory and he was sooo mean to Figgy. So I put them both in Figgy's cage and then Boris acted fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:15 AM

Try getting a kiddy pool and put some shavings in there and introduce them in there. If that works out maybe buy a totally new different cage and new things.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:47 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah trying a different cage will help. but either way they end up there, right? so no matter what, they're going to have to sort out what belongs to who. just do lots of cleaning with vinegar to get rid of scents.

for introductions, bathtubs and bathrooms work great. add a saucer of milk or yogurt, something they cant pick up and walk away with. forces them to sit near each other, share food, and see that neither is out to get the other. it helped me for sure.

other than that, have lots of patience!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 06:25 AM
RAT ADDICT

Well since your already doing the intros on neutral ground,I also have to agree.Buy a new cage and put them in it.It will be new territory then and things will be easier.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *