Food For Rats .. ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Question Food For Rats .. ?

Does Anyone Know What Other things rats like to eat or what else i can put into there food bowl other than boring dry rat food LOL i use rat nuggets as i am from the UK thats all the rat food we use but its safe as the petstore provided it for me
can you feed them puppy treats or dog food or anything if so what type ?
what can you put in the dish all the time along with there orignal rat food ?
i have fed them some carrot wheatabix rice crispies , cabbage and tomatoes and potatoes are they all fine ?
thanks again

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 03:03 PM

What my girls like to eat

Im from the UK too. I feed rat nuggets and the rat mix they sell in Wilko's. They also get treats of cheese, meat (just a bit of whatever I've had for dinner), carrot, apple, rice crispies, special K, choc drop treats, dried banana chips, cooked pasta etc. I did read something about not giving them lettuce as some of them can have some sort of reaction to it, but not sure how reliable that was.

I hope Ive just posted a picture of Nekkid and Eve, if not then some random pic from our pc might be in this reply!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

all the things you said are fine. Do not feed your rats oranges of any sort or kidney beans- they can cause problems- nothing to high in protein should all be good

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:28 PM

I feed my rats everything! Cereal, oatmeal, wet dog food, small pieces of meat. There are certain things you should not feed them, like raw sweet potatoes and chocolate. I forgot to mention I also feed mine fresh fruits and veggies.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yep all of the above! plus leftover dinner plate stuff, hard boiled egg, peas, corn, uncooked pasta, cooked rice. my boy licks my dinner plate every night!!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:10 PM

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bclee/ratfood.html

This is a link that tells what your rat can and cant eat hope it helps!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

thanks everyone for your help
i feed mine raw potatoe but not SWEET RAW POTATOE is this still ok ?
yeah i know not to feed them lettuce
and that link you send me (sarah) is brill thanks
x

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

The potato plant is toxic. As for the actual part that we eat, there are claims that go both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.drlam.com/opinion/rawpotato.cfm
Excessive ingestion of raw potato can produce gastro-intestinal, liver, as well as heart damage.
However, (searching briefly) I did not find anything in more "official" sources like WebMD about it being poisonous. Maybe I'll look into it more later, but I'm on my way out right now.

Bottom Line: If you're not sure, why risk it?

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

yeah i wont be risking feeding them potatoes anymore thanks for the info !
x

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 01:11 PM

http://www.ratfanclub.org/diet.html Here's another link with an even better list, I usually refer to this one. ( No offense rat freak the link was great this one is a bit more intensive!) Also I actually don't feed lab blocks for the most part because i'm not thrilled with the high corn and or grain content. I supplement my mix with a good high quality dog food ( usually nutro natural light or chicken soup) be careful of excessive protein levels but most rats tolerate it just fine. And also childrens chewable vitamins.
Also not sure if it's on the list, no peanut butter, as rats salivary glands are in the back of their mouths pb can easily choke them. Well that's all I can think of. Looks like you've got some good advice all together!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 02:05 PM

My boys enjoy softer foods, like gerbers pea and carrot baby food, and yogurt as a treat. It's great for training because you can take it away after they have a taste and they cant run off with it. lol.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

perfect timing lol... I found a list of forbidden foods for rats and saved it on my laptop, thought I'd share...

Forbidden food

Bleu cheese, Liquorice, Raw dry beans or peanuts, raw sweet potato, raw red cabbage and Brussels sprouts, raw artichokes, green bananas, green potato skin and eyes, wild insects, rhubarb, orange juice (for male rats only). Raw bean & potato & red cabbage must be cooked well before giving them.

love to help!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Tags
chicken soup, dog food, food bowl, high quality dog food, lab block, lab blocks, male rat, male rats, quality dog food, rat food