Food and Supplement to Stop Dandruff? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Food and Supplement to Stop Dandruff?

Bishop has lots of dandruff.
He doesn't seem itchy, water eyed, or scabby at all, just flaky.
His entire cage is made of towels and fleece, i doubt its allergy.
It just doesn't fit.

I would make a bet he needs much better food and maybe some vitamins/supplements! He has an immunity disorder and im sure that all ties into skin/fur health as well. Right now hes just Mazuri Rat Lab Blocks and daily romaine, apples, and broccoli. It's not a bad lab block diet, but it wont give him everything he needs.

Im thinking of switching to Native Earth by Harlan Teklab.
I found a seller but the smallest is a 40 pound bag. Thats my dog in rat food.
What do you think of this food? Do you use it?
You guys know any smaller sellers?

Bishops smaller than he should be, has problems growing fur and doesn't heal quickly. Id like to get him on some supplements and vitamins too. I hear echinacea drops are good.
Are there certain products you guys like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 05:50 PM

Bishop hasn't been too well though has he? Usually, a rat which hasn't been well cannot always clean themselves properly, if you feel you need to use anti dandruff shampoo (personally I would not recommend it because of the chemicals) if you do, use one specifically for small animals, is his fur greasy? Obviously, if the condition is serious, I would recommend seeing a vet... Also, another point is that if he is on his own, he hasn't had a cage mate to help groom him, hope this helps...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Thatcher View Post
Bishop hasn't been too well though has he? Usually, a rat which hasn't been well cannot always clean themselves properly, if you feel you need to use anti dandruff shampoo (personally I would not recommend it because of the chemicals) if you do, use one specifically for small animals, is his fur greasy? Obviously, if the condition is serious, I would recommend seeing a vet... Also, another point is that if he is on his own, he hasn't had a cage mate to help groom him, hope this helps...
Hes been ill with a URI, but he seems to clean himself...but I dont know for sure. He is on his own, im hoping to get him friends at the end of july:C
His fur is NEW. He just starting growing fur and I think this is also a reason for dandruff. His fur is very dry actually...he drinking lots of water though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Part of the Pack

Go to the grocery store and get Brewers Yeast. You can also give fish oil supplements. Both should help with haircoat and dry skin. Both are much cheaper at a grocery store than 'special' for pets - even though they're the same. Vitamin E can also be helpful I believe.

There is a multivitamin/mineral supplement called vionate (I think?) as well, that a lot of people use. You can get it from www.jefferspet.com.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Ill go check that stuff out when we go shopping! thanks!
The item called vionate doesn't say anything about rats instructions, hamsters are about 1/8 teaspoon so maybe...1/7 or the same?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

If his fur is growing back the skin cells are being lifted so the strands of hair can push through...dandruff. Wee babies when their fur is finally coming in go through this period as well.

The best thing for coat and skin (and buck grease) is a small amount of olive oil on a crust of bread or toast. It helps from the inside out.

What are you feeding him? Diet can affect this as well.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Ive been feeding him Mazuri Lab Blocks, apple cuts (no seeds haha), romaine lettuce, and broccoli everyday. Ill try the oil on bread too!

I want to add some supplements to his diet as well.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 06:13 PM

rats if given to much protien it can cause skin irritation. aslo broccoli, espessially if it is given to them raw, is hard for them to digest, so he probably isnt getting all the nutritional value of it that a person does. brussel sprouts are great for rats but they have to be cooked, also vitamin c will do wonders, and when my rats eat strawberries (which are high in vitamin c) it makes there coats so soft and shiny.

you said he was alergic to lots of stuff aswell so i dont know if this suggestion would work. one of my foster rats looked like he had a skin irritation simmilar to what you are discribing. the vet i took him to suggested tea tree oil shampoo to bath him in. it stops it from itching and also is a mild form of pain reliever. i also use pure tea tree oil to treat small cuts or scrapes my animals get.
and im alergic to antibiotics, before i discovered the teatree oil i had to clean any scrapes i got with rubbing alcohal ugg that stuff stings, but the tea tree oil doesnt sting at all and works so much better.

i would ask a vet before using it on your little guy. best of luck

Evie

Last edited by Brighteyed; 07-02-2009 at 06:18 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. i should have a vet appointment or check up soon for him so ill ask about it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Im looking at his neck now (where its practically hairless) and im seeing a few tiny red bumps. It might be ingrown hair or whatnot, but are the possibilities of mites? I think we checkled him for that though...the vet would have told me if we had mites. :C
He loves to be scratched there too, so they are itchy.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 12:04 AM

that looks like an alergic reaction, maybe he is allergic to some of the food you are giving him?

my dog phocian is alergic to gluten he used to loose hair and have rashes all over his lower back, now that he is no longer eating gluten it has gotten better. do you think you could go to the vet and get him allergy tested, or maybe they could run some blood tests to see if he has the right vitamins or isnt low on iron or calcium ect. maybe thats worth a shot
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Im giving him Mazuri rat lab blocks...what could he allergic too?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 03:54 PM

i have no idea, i would just ask the vet. i mean it could even be a mold that happens to be in your house somewhere. take himto the vet.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

My vets closed. like every other vets office.
So heres a picture of bishop I darkened up and played with so you could see the tiny bumps. they are tiny, not big at all. Ive been putting vitamin e oil onto his dry areas and seems to be working. Thats why hes shiny.
As far eating it, he doesn't mess with it much and its not toxic in the dose i put on him...he should be fine.

Also, are these orange spots on his side from maturity? i heard some males will get oily like this?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 04:19 PM

aww poor baby! i would get him to a vet as fast as possible :o
but the but the oily orange ones are caused by to much protien. this happens mainly in males. my male rats got that when i was gone for a week and my mom fed them nothing but dog food and sunflower seeds because the dogs got into my rat food and ate it >.< so anyway why dont you try suplimenting his diet with roled oats and red wheat. these are also called old fassioned oats. dont give him any thing like eggs or cheese or soy nuts or dog/cat food. stay away from giving him sugary cerial or other human junk food (this includes dried fruit it often has alot of sugar added. total cerial has alot of vitamins just dont give him to much. and cooked whole grain rice is good to (my rats love the stuff)

and of course fruits and vegetables are good to

when you go to the vet ask him if you can have a list of the daily food amounts (the percentages or protiene, fat, cargohydrate ect) and you can find lists of what amounts the veggies ect have from health websites. you can also find vitamin tablets you add to rats water but they are sometimes hard to find