Foster Ratticles - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Foster Ratticles

In a couple of hours,I am taking in a pair of foster rats. There are 10 of them,but I am just taking 2. ALL of them were going to be brought to me last night temporarily,but I wasn't home...the rescue managed to find foster homes for most of them though.

I can't wait to get my fosters. I have their cage set up. All 10 of these rats were in little tanks and not cared for properly...one of them has a massive groth on his neck/throat. He is in another foster home and will be going to the vet Tuesday to see if it can be removed. Hopefully it can,these rats are all only 7 months old. The owner surrendered them.

I don't know what my fosters look like,but I did see a picture of the one with the neck growth...poor guy! It should of never been allowed to get so big. Anyway I just wanted to share,I will be posting pictures once I get these guys.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 02:17 PM
is a little "special"

Can't wait for pics!
Poor guy with the growth. Do they know what it is, and is it getting removed?

BTW, that's great that you found a small animal rescue to foster for. Since Sunny died, I've wanted to foster some small animals or reptiles, but the only foster organizations I know of are for dogs and cats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Vanilla, I can't wait to see pictures of your new rescues.
I am sure I speak for your new kiddos when I say they are grateful to have you!

Jess, have you tried some websites for rescue animals? Vanilla will hopefully see your post and make some good suggestions. I remember Adopt a Pet.com but there was also another really good one that my husband and I used, but I can't remember the name...it was a great rescue/adoption site where you can use a drop down menu for what kind of animal you are looking for, i.e. reptile, small animal, dog, etc. and you type in your local zip code. It is a national site that will bring up animals close to where your live that are available for adoption/rescue. Dang, I can't remember the name! Vanilla, do you know which site I am referring to? Or are there zillions?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:12 PM
is a little "special"

Oh, OK I'll check that out! I probably won't do it until summer though, when I have more time.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Jess, I JUST remembered the site I was trying to think of...it is called Petfinders.com.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I got my two fosters...I have Kiefer and Sutherland (you will see them on the link below). Poor guys, don't know what hammocks,ladders or toys are. They just slept on the floor of the cage for a few hours since coming. They are friendly...but it is weird,they do not beg for my love/attention like MY rats do. They don't beg for food or to come out. They just don't know it yet I suppose.

I do have some pictures,but my batteries had to be charged...so I won't get them uploaded until a little later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Can't wait for pics!
Poor guy with the growth. Do they know what it is, and is it getting removed?

BTW, that's great that you found a small animal rescue to foster for. Since Sunny died, I've wanted to foster some small animals or reptiles, but the only foster organizations I know of are for dogs and cats.
It is a tumour and he is going to the vet Tuesday. Sadly because of the size of it and where it is located,things are not looking good. You can actually see a picture of the rat with the growth here. These are all of the rescue rats.The rat with the growth is the 2nd one.

http://birdandsmallanimalrescue.webs...oradoption.htm

I have fostered and adopted from this organization before. Guinea pigs and rats...but I only do rats now.

Where are you located again? I can do a search and see what I can find?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina View Post
Vanilla, I can't wait to see pictures of your new rescues.
I am sure I speak for your new kiddos when I say they are grateful to have you!

Jess, have you tried some websites for rescue animals? Vanilla will hopefully see your post and make some good suggestions. I remember Adopt a Pet.com but there was also another really good one that my husband and I used, but I can't remember the name...it was a great rescue/adoption site where you can use a drop down menu for what kind of animal you are looking for, i.e. reptile, small animal, dog, etc. and you type in your local zip code. It is a national site that will bring up animals close to where your live that are available for adoption/rescue. Dang, I can't remember the name! Vanilla, do you know which site I am referring to? Or are there zillions?
Thanks I am happy to have them here. I have them in quarantine now,but it is so weird. I am used to rats begging for me to shower them with affection and take them out...but these two are quite indifferent to me right now. I know they will soon be begging too,but right now,it is so weird how they don't care about me. All of my pet ratties LOVE when I love on them and bring them food and toys and everything.

Petfinder is the one you are thinking of. They list lots of animals and the rescues they are with,so Jess maybe you could find something there!

* Lisa *

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Jess I had a little look for rescues in Minnesota and I found a couple,but I didn't have a lot of time to check out how good they are...so maybe you could bookmark them and check them out?

Small animals.
http://rodent.rescueme.org/Minnesota
http://www.pgaa.com/minnesota.html

These two above seem more to list MN rescues,but maybe you can find something?

Rabbits.
http://www.mnhouserabbit.org/adoption/index.html

Guinea Pigs.
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MN169.html

Seems my search took me to breeders pages more then rescuess. But you could always ask other MN shelters if they have contacts to rescues?

* Lisa *

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yep, I finally remembered it was called Petfinders, thanks!
Poor Ryder...god I can't believe someone would let that tumour get so big. Poor thing. I hope he can pull through this.
Sounds like Keifer and Sutherland will be learning how much fun it is to be a rat who is loved. I look forward to hearing how they do.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:15 PM
is a little "special"

Thanks Lisa! I checked them out, I didn't know that MN had a guinea pig rescue!
I can't do bunnies or piggies though, because I don't have space for a large enough cage and I don't want "spray wars". If I did foster, I would probably want to have some ratties (I've never had them, and I want to see what they're like!) or a reptile (Another beardie? There are so many that are mistreated.) since I'll have a spare 40 gal. I could always put an add on CL too.

About the tumor, wow. Just wow. That's disturbing.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 05:36 PM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
I got my two fosters...I have Kiefer and Sutherland (you will see them on the link below). Poor guys, don't know what hammocks,ladders or toys are. They just slept on the floor of the cage for a few hours since coming. They are friendly...but it is weird,they do not beg for my love/attention like MY rats do. They don't beg for food or to come out. They just don't know it yet I suppose.

A few days with you will teach them about human love, I'm sure. Keep us posted on the little guys!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Betta Bomb

Aww, they're all cute! I wish I knew which store it was!! lol Bring back 12 rats and tell them about they're "sexing" job!!! lol ugh. People.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina View Post
Yep, I finally remembered it was called Petfinders, thanks!
Poor Ryder...god I can't believe someone would let that tumour get so big. Poor thing. I hope he can pull through this.
Sounds like Keifer and Sutherland will be learning how much fun it is to be a rat who is loved. I look forward to hearing how they do.
No problem!

I know. It is a sin. I will keep you updated as soon as I find out what is going on with him. His foster mom is taking him to the vet Tuesday for a consultation.

Well already they are starting to learn the good life...they still don't get hammocks and ladders,but I gave them a tissue box and Sutherland especially loved that. He would tip it over and climb under it and move around...too funny. At one point,Kiefer went over and seemed to be trying to lift the box over Sutherland...so I thought Sutherland was trapped. I went and took the box off him,only to have him seem highly offended and a few minutes later was back under the box...haha.

I gave them a treat too and at first they were unsure. But then they realize that treats = YUM. I also gave them jingle balls and they have been rolling them around a lot,all I can hear from their cage is bells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Thanks Lisa! I checked them out, I didn't know that MN had a guinea pig rescue!
I can't do bunnies or piggies though, because I don't have space for a large enough cage and I don't want "spray wars". If I did foster, I would probably want to have some ratties (I've never had them, and I want to see what they're like!) or a reptile (Another beardie? There are so many that are mistreated.) since I'll have a spare 40 gal. I could always put an add on CL too.

About the tumor, wow. Just wow. That's disturbing.
Your welcome! And you learn something new everyday!
Do you have another room you could put a cage? Yes,if you can...get rats...you will love them.

I see ads on the local classifieds for beardies ALL of the time. A few years back they were hard to come by. But now they seem quite easy to get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody View Post
A few days with you will teach them about human love, I'm sure. Keep us posted on the little guys!
They are starting to come around already...still unsure about hammocks and ladders and don't really care about me yet,but I know that will change soon. I will keep everyone posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Aww, they're all cute! I wish I knew which store it was!! lol Bring back 12 rats and tell them about they're "sexing" job!!! lol ugh. People.
Well these guys came from CBS,so I am not sure where the parents were obtained. But you knows how pet stores are,they don't care or know what they are doing and if you brought 12 rats back they would want them to make more money.

The thing is,even with several rats,you can take care of them properly...but I guess this person didn't want the work involved with caring for several rats and these guys were kept in little tanks on the worst bedding and probably the baddest food and Ryder with the growth in his throat should of seen a vet long ago before it got that big...remember Phyllis and her rat,Missy? Reminds me of them...

I have NEVER seen a growth like that in a male rat...poor guy. And also he is YOUNG...poor guy.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 10:54 AM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Your welcome! And you learn something new everyday!
Do you have another room you could put a cage? Yes,if you can...get rats...you will love them.
We'll se what all fits in my bedroom, LOL! I'm sure Smudge wouldn't mind some temporary buddies.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Betta Bomb

Yea I seen updated pictures today on facebook from the foster of the tumor rat, he was having a deal washing his face with that giant growth. Poor little guy. I hope the best for them
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yeah, I have been thinking about poor Ryder today also. I really want him to pull through from this. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Vanilla, your post about Keifer and Sutherland was just awesome. They are like two little kids who were never given the chance for love, toys and fun and now they are discovering the joys of the good life with you. That is so wonderful. Sutherland with his new box to play under and the sound of jingle balls...I just love it. They are SO lucky to get a second chance at a good life with you.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith