found 3 baby mouse 3 days ago - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

found 3 baby mouse 3 days ago

Ok so I am attempting to care for 3 baby mice. They are not pinkies. They had very very short hair when we found them in our house just under 3 days ago. They are now fuzzy to the touch and you can see little teeth.

I am really surprised at how well they are doing. I've been feeding baby bird formula which is what the pet store said they would do to hand raise them. Seems to be working really well. I feed them on their backs with an eyedropper and they seem to take well to it. With exception they are getting harder to hold still to feed.

I have them in a cage at the bottom so they can't climb out (one did and my cat got it since I guess they were just not moving as much before because of the lack of food and now that I am feeding them they are FAST!

I will post pictures at some point as I am hoping people might have an idea as to how old they are and when their eyes should open, also when I should start weaning them and feeding them soft food, also what to do for a water dish at that point as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Part of the Pack

are they wild mice or pet mice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Wild mice. They get into our house which was a problem until I got this house cat. I would think they'll end up pretty tame as I have been playing with them and feeding them by hand, also cleaning them and such the past few days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Part of the Pack

fair enough
im not so sure if keeping wild mice is such a great idea, but then again, i'm not the authority on rodents and there would probably be a bond if you raised them from tiny

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

yeah I don't think they are any more then a week and a half to two weeks old as their eyes are still closed. Starting to get teeth and hair is growing FAST. I want to know what type they are but have a feeling I won't know until they get a little older
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Will It Ever Change?

I wouldn't recommend keeping them. They could carry diseases that pet mice (fancy mice) are almost bread out of, or at least never exposed to. You can contact your local wildlife rehabilitation center, they can usually help

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:49 PM

Hi! I did the same thing. Found a pinky at a baseball game and raised her. Had for 2 1/2 years!!! Well, hopefully you've been feeding them a lot. Your supposed to get up and feed them ATLEAST every two hours (even in the middle of the night!!) and then start weaning them. And they can only have a lil bit at a time. Make sure they have a heating pad on the lowest setting with blankets or towels on top to make sure they don't get too hot...Ummm...I'm trying to find the site I used. I'll post the link when I find it...Any more question just ask me!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

mine aren't pinkies. I wasn't sure as to how old they were so I was trying every 4 hours, wouldn't eat, then every 5... still wouldn't eat every feeding. 3 times a day seems to be working nicely
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 10:48 PM

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/orphans.htm

Here's the site...Hope it helps...It did when I raised my lil Jackie...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

yeah I found that one, Found another one I found more helpful. What did you use for a water dish when they got a little older and their eyes opened? I can't keep mine int he blanket anymore... Little guys want to get around
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 05:41 PM

I used a lid. Like to a jar a butter lid. They're EXTREMELY shallow so they won't drown themselves or snuff it into their noses...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 03:04 PM

Feeding baby mice ( WILD )

I found 3 baby mice in our vacum bag.It is a small hoover that I had discarded into the dustbin.However my brother said he would like it so I retrieved it .I thought I would empty the waste bag in case he wanted to use it.Well I heard this squeaking ,I thought I was hearing things ,but no there it went again.I found 3 baby mice covered in dust ,dog hair ,carpet powder etc.How they survived I will never know.I took them indoors and put them in a small box.I put a peice of kitchen paper soaked with goats milk and water so they would suckle on the moisture.Luckily I found this site and they have had their second meal from a pippete.I have also put them in a fresh bed on a small hot water bottle.Their names are Tiny ,Micki and Rudi.They are so tiny ,about 1 -1/2 inches long.How old are they ? Their eyes are still closed.HELP PLEASE!LINDSAY JANE I am a new member.

Last edited by lindsaycaress; 07-30-2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: mispelling
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Part of the Pack

Hi baby mouse eyes open at about 2 weeks. I was reading and u guys are feeding ur babies goats milk. I have two little ones that i found a couple of days ago and i read on the internet to feed them kitten milk, so i went out to the store and got some of that.

For everybody who doesn't know how old their babies are, i found this site to be the most help:

http://www.thefunmouse.com/info/daybydaybabies.cfm

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:13 AM

Hi I actually put Princess Tania onto lactol, she started to thrive on that.Unfortunately she was mousenapped by a rougue mouse and killed. I was gutted and stunned I didn't think anything like that could happen I am still upset that she was taken so cruelly.I miss her she was such a sweetie and my baby.Lindsay
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Part of the Pack

What is lactol?? I have never heard of it.

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet