Found a tumor - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Found a tumor

So I had Fredi out today and I noticed a huge tumor under her left arm. I have no idea how I didn't notice it before. It's about the size of a grape. the only thing I can think is that she sits weird so it usually hides. Rest assured I'm calling her vet first thing in the morning. I'm pretty sure the growth is benign, she's hasn't lost any weight, she's hasn't lost interest in activities, she's not sleeping more then normal. I'm hoping she can live with it because I'm afraid for her to have surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

This is supposed to be in the mouse/rat section. Can someone move it?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 07:14 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Why are you afraid of surgery? Do you have a decent rat vet?

Armpit tumors are the easy ones, its the inguinal ones that can get ugly.

How old is your rat and how's her health?

I just discovered a small mammary tumor on my 9-10 month old girl. I am going to call my vet soon to have it removed and then Pocky can be spayed at the same time.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Rodentologist

I would say, without a doubt, please don't wait to have ti removed if you have a good vet. I tried to wait on my rat's last tumors and they became a nightmare to have removed because of the size. The earlier you can get them at the smallest size possible, the better off and quicker healing it will be!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

My exotic vet is awesome, he took great care of Tippy when she got a URI. I'm just concerned about her age I know it's always dangerous when anyone get surgery much less a two year old rat. I will most likely get it removed I'm just worried about her.

On top of Fredi's tumor, I think my Lab has an ear infection, so it's two vet visits for me this week.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Rodentologist

I know that feeling. My Cecilie is around 2 to 2.5 and she's already had 6 lumps removed and now another one has shown up and it's in an inoperable spot.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Poor girl. I hope it's not causing a problem for her.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

taking her to the vet today. i'll let you know how it goes.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Rodentologist

I have my fingers crossed for you!

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

She's having surgery today and my husband will have to pick her up when he gets off work tomorrow. He says that she appears really healthy but a little thin (She was the runt, she's always been thin) So as long as the tumor doesn't return she should have a good quality of life.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Fredi came home last night. (I couldn't go get her because I was working all day and then had a bachelorette party so my grandmother brought her home.) My poor baby has huge stitches all along her left side.

She's is very alert and active. She's drinking and eating just fine and she's in the quarantine cage so that her sister can't rip out her stitches. She'll go in to have the stitches removed in 10 days.

I'm relieved she's doing ok. I was a mess at work yesterday because i was worried about her.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Rodentologist

Congratulations! I'm so glad your little girl is ok. Make sure to keep up with her pain meds and antibiotics so she doesn't hurt herself if she feels bad and there's less chance for infection.

You're a great mom and did the right thing!

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Congrats to Fredi thats awesome!

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

CONGRATS!! yay for fredi

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

I managed to get some pictures of her.

There are better pictures in the album. The incision goes all the way from her underarm to where her knee is.

The big red spot is where her tumor was.

Tippy climbed up to see her sister. They've only ever been apart when on is sick.

'I miss you' rattie kisses. I feel bad for keeping them separated but Tippy would chew up Fredi's stitches.

Tags
rat, tumor, vet