Freaking money!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Freaking money!!!

The only thing that makes this whole rat thing difficult is the money. Especially with gas and grocery costs being what they are in the U.S. right now.

I was soo happy. We had just a little extra money. I was going to buy my own small digital camera so that I don't have to always borrow one, and I know I have one that works. I had picked it out and set the money aside. I'm going to need to be able to post pics a little more easily when the website's up.

But then there's Izzy. Izzy, our patchy hairless and one of my favorites, is prone to escape artist routines and she gets herself scratched up quite a bit, so last night I go home and her eye is swollen with some scratches around it and the eye itself is a little foggy looking. She seems to be able to see out of it. It's not slowing her down or making her feel bad, touching around it didn't seem to hurt, so I'm pretty sure it's just a run of the mill scratch and I put some moistening drops in. But we all know what an eye scratch means, possible infection if untreated. So tomorrow morning she goes to the vet for a check and some antibiotic drops, which I figure will run about $40 for the visit and about $35 for the drops, the approximate cost of my camera.

How do rats have such great timing? How do the little devils always know when I'm flat broke?

On a more positive note, Izzy is soo worth it. She's hilarious. She breaks out of the cage all the time, usually just to climb in and fall asleep in one of the empty cages. And her patches are migratory. This week she'll have just the face mask. Then next week there will just be hair in circles around her eyes. Then after that she'll have a little spot on her head and a hitler mustache. Then no hair on the face and light fuzzy body hair. Then the next week the full black face mask again. It goes in a cycle like that all the time, little weirdo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 06:54 PM

How cute! Thats too bad with the timing lol. At least you have the money though. I need $400 dollars to get my rat's tumor removed and I don't have that lol well good luck with her eye!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 07:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awwww...good luck with the vet appointment!

As for her being patchy,she is a "double rex".They are mainly hairless and go through hair patches like that,while hairless rats don't.
Just thought you would like to know.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah I knew the double rexes are patchy like that, but she's a little unique, not in the patchiness, but in the severity. You see she is not a double rex bred from two rexes, she's a double rex born from two double rexes, so she's even a little more migratory with her patches than most. What cracks me up is that it happens on such a dependable cycle. The lady I got her from had two males that she had to constantly mark to tell them apart because they both had the migratory patterning and they never looked the same!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Awww... how is she doing today?

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well funny you should ask that. We went to the vet this morning. Big scratch, no corneal damage, some infection, so she got ointment that has to be applied 3 times a day (she's loving that!!)

The really crappy part though is that rat fink (our hairless rescue) got some porphyrin and a few light sneezes last night so I figured I'd bring him too for a check. Turns out he has the beginnings of a URI and some weirdo bacteria in his fecal smear so we got two antibiotics for him too. Yay, for me! So my $80 vet visit has now turned into a $220 plus a check up for both of them in 10 days. So instead of going to the vet instead of buying a camera, we're no going to the vet instead of buying fresh food.

I just hope they're both better soon. They're both taking their meds like champs and eating and drinking and playing pretty well, so I have high hopes. Especially Izzy, Izzy just has an injury. I have to be honest I never feel very optimistic about URI's in rats from dubious background. We've had too many rescues leave us early that way even with excellent treatment. I really hope Rat Fink pulls through.

He's the one I posted about that this lady brought to me because he hated her and would poo and bite and wriggle whenever touched, but then we've never had the first trouble with him. He curls up on my shoulder and kisses my cheak. So I kinda wonder what was up with that lady and what his background was really like, poor fella.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 07:06 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awww...well I send good vibes your way for the little ones!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Poor little kids. I know it sucks when stuff like this happens, but Kudos to you for caring for them. I officially like you as a person

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks uhh I like you as a person too. I just hope everyone's okay and this URI thing doesn't spread any further.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:35 PM

Always hard to say how things like this are going but Rat Fink seems to be doing better and Izzy's eye looks incredibly better. That eye stuff is amazing. Was a bit of a strain on our already tight budget but hopefully it will help.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

One of the rats that was living with ratfink is having a lot of congestion. No lethargy at all, doesn't seem sick , no heavy breathing, almost no porphyrin, just the sound of congestion at times and some sneezing, so I've put him on the anitbiotics too just to nip things in the bud. These animals are like kitchen appliances that go bad when the warranty is up!

I keep them quarantined for weeks, then the second I decide it's safe to put them with other rats they start getting symptoms and spreading disease, little monsters!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

awwwww sorry to hear about that; for some reason I missed this post, unusual for me, but it's good to hear theres nothing to serious going on, but the money is a problem!
Well, I do think it's quite interesting watching an escape artists work, mine are to lazy to try, but when I forst had my hamster he could get out all the time LOL

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by laydeerodentzz View Post
awwwww sorry to hear about that; for some reason I missed this post, unusual for me, but it's good to hear theres nothing to serious going on, but the money is a problem!
Well, I do think it's quite interesting watching an escape artists work, mine are to lazy to try, but when I forst had my hamster he could get out all the time LOL
In my experience the boys are soo lazy you could almost leave the cage doors open and they wouldn't get far, but every single of my females is always trying to escape. Oh well, I just accept it and patch the holes when they finally get out. They have a lot of intellegence and all day long to use it to escape so there's no real foolproof way that I've found to keep them in all the time. Luckily they don't really get lost like escaped hamsters or mice. They escape, but as soon as you walk into the room they're hiding in they poke their little head out as if to say "Hey mommy look what I did!"
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:30 AM

Uh you said almost. You could almost leave the cage doors open. Seems I recall at least one play time where we actually had to drag them from the cage to play in the room. Rat Fink is the only male in the one cage that has shown any interest what so ever that a door was open.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Haha! Thats funny! Mine get like that when they are in the hammock and just don't want to be moved.. even if they arent sleeping heehee!
Mine would come out if I left the doors open... they love to steal things!
When my hamster escaped he was back on my bed at 4am in the morning and I could just put him back in his cage easy as pie, but when Rayray got out, he put up a fight and he was roaming free for four days because he wouldn't let us get him, so I've had it the wrong way aruond LOL
We did finally get him though... after we cut of the back of the sofa and he just sat there looking at us as if he'd done nothing LOL
But, I always say everything happens for a reason and If it wasn't for Rayray escaping, we would not have our lovely italian leather sofa... heehee!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10