Free range time with my new boys? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Free range time with my new boys?

well, I know it's been a week now and my new boys Husky and Arthur who I've had for a week today now need some free- range time. I've spent all week gaining their trust, handling them and letting them on my bed, but I want to take the next step and give them the run of my bedroom for free-range.

There is one thing though. Husky does not seem to like large open spaces, I mean, I had him on the toilet seat lid while I got a warm wet cloth to wash down his very dirty tail, I'd never put him there before and he started freaking out, I tryed calming him, but he fell of the toilet seat lid and onto the floor than ran up my sleeve and seems to be very attatched to me now ( he is fine). so I was wondering if it is or is not a good idea to do free-range yet because I dont want him freaking out ( he has only been on my bed in my room)
so, should I wait or just, like, let him go on the floor and see how it goes- maybe there is a way of helping him feel a bit more confident on the floor? He will be free-ranging with Arthur, so that could help his fear? Do you think I should start free-ranging in a smaller area?
thanks in advance!

(Piccies of all my ratties comeing soon... hopefully if I can get them on the pc!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 04-20-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Make sure he has a "safe" area to run to. I'm not sure where your cage is, but it's nice to just leave the cage open so they can come and go as they please. Also, they are less likely to poo elsewhere. If your cage is not where you want him to play, bring out one of his hides and start him out in there. It will be less stressful for him if he is the one making the choice to go explore the new area. Also you could sit on the floor with him and he can stay near you until he feels comfortable. Ultimately, his curiosity will win out and he will be happy running around the room.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

thank you, my cage is in the livingroom downstairs from my bedroom so I will have to take one of his hides out of the cage as you say. I have recently re-arranged my room so no wires are visible and no rats or hamsters can chew on them, thanks for your reply its a great help!
x

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

well nikita i had this same problem with toto he would not come out of his cage and if i took him out he freaked and he ran back in,
So what i done was,
I went into there room opened the cage door and i sat up against the oppisite wall and sat and spoke to them NOVO came out first jumping and skipping LOL it took TOTO an HOUR!! to even come near the cage door so i called him and i went over to the cage door and praised him.
So the next day i done the same thing and the next.. and soo on..
and NOW hes the first one out LOL !!

i just had to let him know that the area was safe try and sit away from him in the area and he will gradually want to get over to you and he will come over and see that the effort he made was actually fun ! LOL

Hope this helps x

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

yeah, thanks!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

well, I let them out today and it's going great! I've left them up there for now, but I did spend 15 mins with them and Arthur was the one who didnt want to leave not Husky LOL, anyways looks like its been a success, thanks for your help!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties