Fruit and Veggies.. Food in General - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Fruit and Veggies.. Food in General

Just wondering if I can feed my rats the same fruit/veggie diet I give my rabbits? The bunnies get celery, romaine lettuce, and carrots three or four times a week along with timothy hay and rabbit pellets (daily) and sometimes for a little treat they'll each get a grape or a couple of craisins (which they absolutely LOVE).

The rats are (currently) eating pre-mixed rat food from a petstore and I was also of thinking of making my own ratty mix at home here since a) it would save money and b) would have less fatty crap in it. Anyone have any ideas on what I should be doing to make a mix and what else they need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

well rats need a lot more protein than rabbits!
there are a lot of threads about this already, I'm sure if you do a search you'll find lots of good info!
I personally use SueBee's mix, but give lots of fresh food like eggs, fish, meat, all sorts of veggies, vegetables, nuts... also on the side.
A lot of people feed their rats Harlan Teklad blocs, I would do that but they're a bit hard to get especially when you don't have a credit card to order online!
The lab blocs are a complete food and you can buy huuuuuuges bags
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

How do you cook eggs and stuff for rats? I gave them some sliced turkey breast today, the kind you get at a deli. Is that the right direction for meat? And is Timothy hay good or bad or not really either?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

i've never given timothy hay and don't know much about it, so I can't tell you!
I just do boiled eggs
I think sliced turkey is ok... please tell me if I'm wrong other rat connoisseurs!
what you want to avoid is just meats that have too much sugar or salt or any sauce on it that might be too fatening for the rat. Just plain foods without seasonings are good!
My rat loves cucumber slices these days! Broccoli is good too. My rat doesn't like carrots, but all rats are different!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Official Loofah Tester

What I've had recommended is to give them 70 percent of their daily diet in the form of a quality lab block. Harlin Tekkled is considered the most complete and can be purchased cheaply online from a few places. The one I use is Mainly Rat Rescue: http://www.mainelyratrescue.org/rattieblog2/

Most lab blocks in stores are not suitable no matter what they say. I can't remember off the top of my head the names of the few that are considered adequate (someone else help?). The seed mixes you get from the pet store are unfortunately awful for them. It's sad, but even through they /say/ they're for rats, if you feed them that as their staple, you'll end up with unhealthy rats.

Suebee's Mix is a good mix, but it's not a complete diet, and you have to be proactive in providing the rest of their nutritional needs.

Here's one site's detailed description of rat diet needs, as well as suggested daily diet and foods to avoid: http://www.pxrats.com/ratfood.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for the link, I'm short on time right now but I'll check it out ASAP. =D

About the store food.. I was surprised when I got it ohme and opened it and it looked like hamster food. Rang a few bells that something wasn't right... I was pretty sure rats didn't do well with them.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Here is a great list of safe fruits and vegetables for rats, from A to Z:
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/communit...hp?f=7&t=64533

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well I learned last night that they both really love celery and red peppers.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

My rat LOVES celery...I've been wanting to try red peppers for a while but haven't...they are kind of pricey compared to some veggies and fruits like Parsley or Broccoli, they LOVE spinach.

We strive to make the safest products out there with the best customer service at unbeatable prices.

Serving the Exotic pets since 2005

Dogs, Cats, Ferrets. Rabbits, Mice, Hamsters, Sugar Gliders, Chinchilla's and more!

4 Rabbits
- 3 Gliders
-6 Ratties

2 kitties
- 1 dog

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I like red peppers myself which is why I have them in the house. Basically my animals like what I like haha. If not then too bad for them. =P I also read somewhere (can't remember WHERE) that rats like oatmeal.. is this true? Do they like it raw or cooked? Kind of confused me.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh and a late Merry Christmas to everybody!!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Part of the Pack

merry late xmas! i feed my rats mazuri personally, i also have a turtle though and i outfit her with all kinds of veggies like kale, carrots, and celery. they often times get the same veggies she gets. i just discovered that they dig cucumbers too so that adds to it

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

What about things like grains? Liam has been feeding Cocoa nibbles of crusts from his sandwiches and whatnot, and I told him that probably wasn't a good idea. I just figured it would be good to check first.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Newborn Pup

My rats love bananas. I get bananas for my parrot, and occasionally give them to my little gals. They also like carrots. I've tried parsley, and the eat it, but they always look a little disappointed when I give it to them. Last time I gave some parsley to Reggi, she grabbed it, sniffed it, threw it on the ground and then looked at me.

As far as lab blocs go, I also give my girls Mazuri and they seem to enjoy it.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayna&Liam View Post
What about things like grains? Liam has been feeding Cocoa nibbles of crusts from his sandwiches and whatnot, and I told him that probably wasn't a good idea. I just figured it would be good to check first.
Grains are actually very good for rats. I feed mine a homemade mix made up almost entirely of grains and supplemented by quality lab blocks. Try things like shredded wheat, puffed wheat, puffed rice, and whole wheat bread (on occasion--bread tends to have a bit more sodium in it than other forms of whole grain). When I give my boys bread, I dip it in olive oil, which is also very good for them.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Tags
rat food