Fun tricks to teach your rats? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Smile Fun tricks to teach your rats?

I'm starting to teach my boys a few tricks, and I thought it might be fun to see everyone's ideas for fun things to teach to rats to do! The only one I've done with mine so far is to spin in a circle on command, which they've now learned! I think the next one I teach them will be to stand up and beg.

Any more fun tricks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Adolescent Pup

I saw on youtube someone who taught her rat to fetch. I'd like to do that with mine but, don't know where to start.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

ooh fetch would be nice!
I started the swimming thing, but I stopped for a while, gotta get back to that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

how did you teach them to spin on command? i wanna try that!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh yeah, I think I saw that youtube video of fetch too! That would be really fun, though I bet it would take a LOT of practice!!

To teach them to spin around is actually pretty simple. Just take a little treat, call their name and when they see that you have food for them, turn the treat in a circle around them while saying "Turn" (or "spin"). They will turn in a circle with the treat, since they'll want the food. Once they have completed a full circle, give them the treat and make a clicking noise. (They'll associate the click with a reward.) Keep repeating this until you just have to make a spinning motion with your finger, tell them "Turn", and they should do it automatically with practice. The last step is getting them to spin without you even having to make any motion at all, just by telling them "turn". Mine haven't gotten to this step yet, but we're working on it!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 12:03 PM
RAT ADDICT

Several years ago I had a rat named Blueberry who would "dance" for a treat.She would stand up and do tiny hops for a treat when I gave her the command "dance".

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

Wow. I'm going to try that with my ratties.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Vanilla, the dancing trick is a great idea! I just might have to try that, too!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Mine all do tricks never had to teach them....... they are all natrually born and bredd beggers. LOL. Mine come to there name inteh cage oand on top but when on the couch they woudl rather exsplore or sleep. I ma wokign a a few at a time to teach them come when called and teach on to sit up the other to shack stuff like that. I'm workign on come as in now not 5 hours later and shake or give paw, btu they woudl rather not eat otu of the cage but taek it and got back on to the cage. some times they est out side the cage.
Diamond
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 09:43 AM
RAT ADDICT

Good luck! The "dancing" was actually very cute and rats seem to catch on fast.Aside from this and a few of my rats learning their names and coming when called,I didn't try anything else.

Something I would love to try when I have a rat that trusts me is rat agility.I have always loved the dog sport of agility and seen some rat agility videos on YouTube...so I may try that someday!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

oohhh yeah I seen that. One had raquel in is a very well know rat person on the new york citty rat meet up groups. She is so cool and I have only talked to her on the phoen nver in person but she heads big rat progests her name is Raquel Cintron. She is amazing. ever heard of her? but they had on a u tube with her is a breif agilety whith a hooded rat.
Diamond
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Curmudgeon

I used stand with my arms extended straight out from my shoulders. My rat would go from my right hand, ...across my shoulders to my left hand, then back to my right hand for a treat.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala View Post
I used stand with my arms extended straight out from my shoulders. My rat would go from my right hand, ...across my shoulders to my left hand, then back to my right hand for a treat.

Bob
Haha! That's a good one, too!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

A guy on youtube taught his rat to "open the door" - which involved the door to be cracked open, and the rat ran to the cracked door and opened it the rest of the way.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Adolescent Pup

I saw that one... I'm working on teaching jack 'up' hes getting so good at it.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.