Fur loss - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Fur loss

Hello, I am just after some advice about baby mice. I bought 2 mice both female. 1 was pregnant from the shop, gave birth 10 days later to 7 pups. 2 of the 7 have no fur around the face and eyes. and 2 others only have 1 eye opened up. the other 3 seem healthy. They are at the age of about 2.5 weeks. Will the abnormal ones get better or is this a result of inbreeding?
Thanks for taking the time to read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 06:23 AM
I am allergic to maths

Bump?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

no bumps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 04:55 AM
I am allergic to maths

I was bumping up the thread so you might get some replys
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Part of the Pack

It could be anything from mites to excessive grooming from the mother. I would wait a short while to see what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

The fur loss kept on spreading all over their heads. I was advised to terminate them. The other 5 pups are healthy and are on to solids now.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Could you put a picture in your avatar? And then when you get 20 posts try to get some pictures? I definitely don't think you should terminate them! Maybe quarantine at the most, but then you will have to hand feed the little guys. I would just leave them with the mama. If it keeps getting worse, it is probably mites and I am not sure on medication about that, but you could bring them to a small animal vet to be safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 01:52 PM

The fur loss could be an allergy to their bedding or something in their food... could also be that the healthier babies arent letting them get proper nutrition
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm sorry it is too late for pictures., but imagine a mouse with no fur from nose to the back of the head. This happened to 2 of the 7 pups. The other 7 are very healthy and growing rapidly and I didn't want them to infect the others. I clean the cage every 2-3 days fresh bedding and pine chips. I didn't really have the time to hand feed them also. Terminating was the safest option. Thanks again.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 05:32 PM

Pine and cedar are toxic to mice, if you didn't know already...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Yes, the only safe woodchips for them are aspen. I don't want this to sound rude by asking but how exactly did you terminate them? Humanly I hope...

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Humanely of course. I don't want to go into any details. I feel bad enough about it as it is.
I will change the bedding setup straight away. Don't you love store whichs give the incorrect advice just to make money.
Thanks all.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Humanly of course. I don't want to go into details as I feel bad about it enough as it is. I will change the bedding straight away . Don't you just love stores that give you incorrcet information to make money out of you.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Sorry I really didn't want to sound rude, but 'terminate' is such a powerful word.

Yes the pet stores will sell anything that will make them money. There are a lot of choices out there, Yesterday's news, Carefresh, etc. But aspen chips are probably the cheapest and they are safe. I hope the rest of the babies are all safe. Good Luck

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa