Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  candyraver 
#1 · (Edited)
My rat Sakura is litter trained (does #1& 2 in the litterbox),Tenshi was partially litter trained.(She occasionally did #1 NEXT to the litterbox instead of in.) Today I caught Tenshi going number 1 on a shelf! & some got on my carpet! & Just as a side note,I hate wire floors so my rats have carpet in their cage.So I had to clean their carpet as well.So I left again to volunteer...came back & there was pee AGAiN!
WHY is she doing this today? It's not like her.I know rats urine mark,but she's just peeing wayy from where she is supposed to.
Is there a product I can use to deter her from peeing where shes not supposed to?
They are female rats,& I never had a problem with either of them peeing on a shelf or far from their litterbox,& they are full grown& were since before they were mine.
Should I look into spaying...?

**As a side note,yes,I'm still on hiatus.Only for a couple months though.
When I return I'll probably be selling a few things.One of which will be my martin's rat tower (I want to sell it & buy a bigger one so I can get another rat & have more room for toys,since my rats are spoiled also :lol:) It's a new cage,not a year old yet! Only a few months& it's really clean& such.Like I said,my rats *usually* use the litterbox & the floor has carpet.& It's powder coated also.We'll see though.& It'll be going really cheap,like a few other things.(Maybe only $50,I paid much more for it than that as you can see on the martins site: Martin's Cages
)

See less See more
#3 ·
Have you made any major changes to her cage recently? If you have she could be upset about that. Or she might not be feeling too good, and didn't want to make the trip to the litter tray. Whatever it is, I hope she gets back to her usual habits soon.

#4 ·
Ah,I never thought of that. YES,I did change around some of the toys in their cage.Maybe she don't like the new locations of the toys .
She don't appear to be sick though.She seems as healthy as ever.& I changed certain things around in my room too.Maybe she hates all the changes I made.That never crossed my mind at all,thanks a bunch! :D

#6 ·
CaliforniaGirl said:
I didnt know you could potty train rats. I guess theres no exscuse for mine to be going where ever she pleases.
Yes,you CAN potty train rats.I don't bother...and also some rats are harder to train then others,but it can be done.

Melissa..if you sells your cage,I will definatly buy it off you! I was gonna look for some more cages soon anyway,so if you do...lemme know!

And yes,it could indeed be change and she doesn't like it.She might feel that she has to re-mark her territory.

#7 · (Edited)
I wish she never marked at all,she used to be good & not mark on the carpetting :lol: Oh well.She never marked within the last few hours,so,thats good.Hopefully she don't make it an habit.
You would want the cage? Ok,I'll save it for you.I'm not selling it right away,but within the next couple months ;) It'll just cost $50 maximum,maybe even cheaper,thats with shipping included...because well,it would just be in my way when I get a new cage [still from Martin's,love that site]:heart:

#8 ·
candyraver said:
I wish she never marked at all,she used to be good & not mark on the carpetting :lol: Oh well.She never marked within the last few hours,so,thats good.Hopefully she don't make it an habit.
You would want the cage? Ok,I'll save it for you.I'm not selling it right away,but within the next couple months ;) It'll just cost $50 maximum,maybe even cheaper,thats with shipping included...because well,it would just be in my way when I get a new cage [still from Martin's,love that site]:heart:
Maybe she wants to start being a rebel! ;) When you gets male ratties,just wait...they like to scent mark EVERYTHING.

Yep,I would love to buy the cage from ya!

#9 ·
Think spaying will help at all though?
Theres products out to prevent critters from chewing certain things,...no products to prevent going to the bathroom in certain areas? :worry:

I think I'm going to get a 2nd litter box in the near future though to put on the top balcony.That way,if she don't want to go allll the way to the bottom of the cage,she can use an upper level one :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.