getting rid of smell?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

getting rid of smell??

I had two fancy mice and well they did not really have a bad smell at all. I added 3 white mice a few days ago i got from my FL trip. Well there nice sized mice and are getting along good with my two fancy's. One of the white is a male. Well just a few hours after adding the 3 white ones i noticed a smell in my room. IT was a strong smell. I found out it was the tank i had them in so i cleaned it fully out wiped it down and every thing. The tank smelled fine. So i put new bedding and the mice back in. A few hours later i could smell it again. WHATS going on????

How do i get rid of that bad Oder??? I want to keep my mice. The mice are in my room and i keep my door closed so the smell stays in there. But i can't sleep in there with it. I really want to get rid of the smell but keep the mice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LOVE Inuyasha and my Boy friend 4 LIFE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Official Loofah Tester

It's your new male that's likely the culprit. Male mouse urine reeeeeeeeks. As far as I know, there's not a whole lot to do about it. Some people say you can add vanilla to their drinking water and it cuts the smell, but I'm leery about that. I know most people don't keep males unless it's as feeders or breeders for that very reason, and then, they keep them in a location away from where they have to smell it on a regular basis, like a back room or something.

Since you're keeping them together, I'm assuming that you are planning on breeding them? If you have one male in with four females, then all four females are probably pregnant. You'll want to remove the male before the pups are born because the females will get pregnant again within a few hours of birth.

Best of luck with your upcoming babies! Please post pics when they're born. If you need tips on baby care let us know. There's quite a few who've had lots of micey experience.

Oh...just to share. White mice are fancy mice. The term "Fancy" originally comes from the term mice fanciers, as in the people who like keeping mice as pets. Pet stores are responsible for the misnomer. Often whites are born in the same litters as the other colors/fur varieties. Pet stores know that people tend not to want to pay much if the mouse is white since it's so common looking, so they pull out the ones with the more striking coat varieties from a litter and put them up front, charging twice as much by claiming they are 'fancy', then they put their plain white brothers and sisters in the feeder bin. Doh!

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 03-18-2010 at 05:36 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

Ya im going to breed for my snakes and lizards. I need lots lol. I used to breed mice years ago when we lived in a diff house. Had up to 10 females and a few males. Back than i had a huge screen porch that we had fixed up and had a heater in there for winter and a fan in there for summer thats where i used to keep mice. I never had a smell problem. But now sense we moved i have a small screen porch but no heater just a small fan. I dont want to keep them in there cause im scared they would freeze or get to hot. So there in my room.

There not preg yet i keeping check on that. The fancy females i got were from a breeder here where i live and they kept females from males. The white mice i got from FL was from a breeder down there, they kept males from females. Now there all in the same tank here.

OH also i know all mice are fancy mice lol i just call the colored mice fancy and white mice just white mice lol it's just what i call them

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Ah gotcha .

I agree, it's a smart move keeping them in your room for the regulated temp, but ugh, I feel for you. I'm constantly surprised at what stink bombs the males are.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

ya lol

but ya i just got to see if i can get that smell way down. I love the mice i never hurt my breeders but i got to find out what to do. I just got this bottle of liquid stuff you put in there water it supposed to help with the smell in there pee. I going to see if that works but i really dont know if it will.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 06:17 PM
RAT ADDICT

Unfortunately male mice stink badly.I had to rehome a male a couple months ago cause I couldn't deal with his stink.So I just keep females now.I could not figure out how to keep his smell down,but I do know the more I cleaned his cage the more it would stink,because he would start marking everything as soon as it was clean.

I used to breed mice several yrs ago and kept males.They stunk out the room,but I had a room just for my rodents,so it didn't bother me too much.I have never tried the vanilla thing,so I do not know if it works.

Hopefully someone has some good suggestions for you.I wish I could help.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 PM
the rodent lover<3

I will be keeping an eye out on this thread, because I have 2 males, 1 in each room and they both stink BADLY. But they are my little men

I don't know how to keep the stink down. The pet store recommended this squirt thing called Bi-Odor, she said she had a mouse and it worked. I didn't use it because I don't believe a word the pet store people say anymore, they have given me too much wrong info in the past.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

I am trying out the Bi-Odor right now. I going to give it a few days to see if it helps. I got it from my pet shop i work at.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Playful Pup

I know, I have my micies in my spare room and it sure smells! I have only 2 boys too!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

well its ok at moment here, useing the bedding thats for horses lol

Tags
mice, smell