The Girls - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

The Girls

A thread for my little ladies and all that's going on with them.

------

So here's what I've been battling lately and why I haven't been on. My room happens to be in the basement. And it happens to have a large amount of bugs. House centipedes, silverfish, sowbugs, five or six kinds of spiders, a few millipedes and I've seen one dying tick.

But here's how this relates to me and my girls. We've been sleeping on the couch because of the poisons I'm having to spray. No other way around it, it's nasty and awful and well it kills the evil bugs lol I can stand a few bugs but trust me when I say this is more than a few.

So I slept on the couch last night (if you can call laying there staring at the ceiling for eight hrs sleep) and this morning after dosing I decided to go check on the kill rate. See what all had died.

And surprise surprise... Something big and black runs under a pipe that's against the wall. First thought, obviously, is omg that's the biggest bug I've ever seen!

EH..... Not quite.

It's a mouse. So I run upstairs and check the cage, all my girls are sound asleep where they should be. I run back down and it's sitting out in the light. A house mouse. Little pink nose and big ol' ears. I've lived with them before I know what they look like.

The only thing I can think is oh **** no. My dad was an exterminator for many many years so I know what this means. Unless I kill it it's going to keep coming back, especially since I can't find out how it got in.

So right now I'm mildly freaking out. I have to kill the mouse because if I don't it's most likely going to breed somewhere down there and I'm going to end up with my PETS sick from a diseased flea it carried in. But in order to kill it I have to set out something that if one of my babies got out it'd hurt it.

They're cage is great, there's no way for them to get out unless I'm just plain careless. But the fear is very much there. I don't want anything bad to happen to my babies, but that also means getting rid of the mouse that's most likely carrying disease.

I'm going to keep the girls upstairs and keep careful watch on their cage for now, but this is a nightmare to me. Not only do I have to sleep on the couch and keep THEM on the coffee table, I'm now having to do something I absolutely despise. I don't want to have to do this.

But it's also not my house. The choice isn't really up to me. Right now I'm living with my folks until my fiance moves here, we're trying to save money. I guess it's a good thing that my dad's an ex-exterminator, he'll know the safest way to go about this...

Sigh... I really didn't need this today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

oh hun, thats a horrible situation

Good Luck!!
x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Put out humane traps. If you catch the bad mouse, take it a few miles away. If you accidentally catch a good mouse just pull it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Will It Ever Change?

oh hun *hugs* i feel the pain, stress is ruthless!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 06:39 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am so sorry to hear about your situation.
I have some house mice here too,but I don't know how to get rid of them!

Good luck!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Just to let everyone knowww I think the mouse left of it's own accord. I REALLY hope. The poison hasn't been touched, at least it doesn't look like it.

The bugs have for the most part died, still finding silverfish but I'm about to buy some bait for them (perfectly harmless to other animals from my understanding) and some sticky paper to get the centipedes. (If a mouse gets stuck to one I just have to use vegetable oil to get them off.)

Besides that, I'm going to be gone for a month. I'm going to halfway across the country to help bf move here, and my grandma is having back surgery tomorrow and I'll be staying with her for awhile as she recovers.

Wish me luck and say a few prayers for my gran if you will!

See you all in a month!