glass, or bars? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

Question glass, or bars?

I keep my mice in aquariums and i was wondering if a cage with bars is better or if i should just stick with aquariums. this is the first time i've had mice, and i've had some of my friends say that aquariums are stuffy or something.......... and ive had a 5 year old hamster die four years ago (when i was 9) b/c his teeth got stuck in the bars of the cage and wouldnt eat, it was some sort of holiday weekend (cant remember which one) he died 2 days later poor chester! i dont know if a mouse could get its teeth stuck though......
also is natures gold, aspen bedding a good type? or should i change that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 04:44 AM

I've had many pet mice. They all had aquariums too, we used Aspen bedding and they all seemed to have a great time with it. They lived the average mouse lifespan, so I don't think there is anything on the health side to really worry about.

Peace to you,

Adam
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 11:33 AM

Nope, no health risks to them! And, if you are concerned about smell, aquariums are a good way to contain it (although they are extra stinky on the inside with no ventilation. However, in my personal opinion, one big stregth with bar cages over glass ones, is that the mice have a real fun time climbing up and down the bars. Mine love it! And it is fun to watch.

Let us know what you decide!
I still want to see pics, too! hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 08:01 PM

Open wire is always better as rodents have a high amount of amonia in there urine. An aguarium is not ventilated enough. I know it is an absolute NO No for rats, and also not recommended for mice. So I would definately go with open wire.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

the aquariums im using right now have screen lids, is that okay?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I always thought that bars were a no no where mice were concerned as they can escape through the bars if they aren't tight enough together, i always had aquariums with open mesh lids so they got plenty of ventilation and my mice lived long happy lives!

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

there are pros and cons to both. Mine live in bars and I had to buy wire mesh to put over them, because yes they could get out (it's a crittertrail one) when they were younger. They can't do this in an aquarium so that is an advantage.

In aqauriums the contain the smell better than the bars, but the smell can make your mouse sick, so you need to clean more often. Everyone has their preferences..I prefer bars cause I don't have to clean as often but as long as you don't let it get overly stinky they will be fine. I have two girls and I use a recycled paper kitty litter for their cage, it absorbs the smell really well and they love digging through it, and if they eat it it's safe. I clean their cage once a week. If they were in an aquarium I'd be inclined to clean them every four days or so!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 08:10 PM

The problem is even with a screen on top there is no cross ventilation, I only had one mouse ever it was a rescue anyway, the cage i had was a wire gerbil cage and the holes in the wire were really small. So if you could find one of those that would be good. I agree the yesterday's news bedding works well at nuetrilizing the amonia also care fresh works well. just do not use any softwood bedding i.e. pine or cedar.

Tags
kitty litter, pet mice, wire mesh