Good Bye Garth - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Good Bye Garth

Yesterday druing play time I took all the young males out to play 1st there so active. Them I get the old timers I call the older males out to play. Garth who is about 3 now was not himself. He would wander around and then lay there. I checked him out did the rat phone and all that but he was just not up to it. No bumps, Lumps, or anything. He would not even eat his favorit treats chees puffs.
Later on while relaxing I got him out for some one on one time thinking just maybe its his time. and he was crawling all over and eating his cheese puffs back to normal. So if figered that maybe the old man had an off day. But knowing he was old it still played in the back of my head. But he keep giving me the look.
So this morrnig while making my rounds checking every one for food water and play Garth did not come to the cage nore did he come when I called. So I got every one food in while still calling and noticed his sons Taj and Spud were not around either. but I seen then in the pop can box that I placed in there for them. As I pulled the box over no one moved and thats were I found Garth currled up next to his sons. It then dawned on me the look. And were I remember it from from a weird dream I had this summer.
Here is the dream I had I wrote it down after it happend.

I had a dream that Garth could talk to me and we were sitting on our couch in a beautiful feild that seemed heavly. In my dream I asked him Questions and this is how it went adn I hope that it brings you peace.

I looked at garth for a while and wit out words I knew he could talk and I 1st asked him if he was happy?
Garth: of course I have a big cage lost of buddys Plus you saved me from the pet shop and gave me the privlage to breed and give you some of my offspring that have filled your heart with joy like I have.
ME: Am I doing all things right by you?
Garth: Shure but it would be nice to sleep with you on your pillow or take naps with you liek before you got other rats for me to play with.
ME: Are you sick or anything are you goign ot pass anytime soon?
Garth: I dont feel sick maybe old at times but thats becuase the young ones wear me out and I dont know when I will go but I will let you know the best way I can when its my time.

I know that when he goes it will crush my world becuase there is a bond there like Willard had with his rat and he is my everything.

ME: What will I do with out you? how will I manage? I love you and I know that one day I will have to say good bye. And good things are supose to last forever.
Garth: Dont worry I'll always love you and be there in memories, offspring and in your heart. All I want in life is to be loved and feel safe and be reconized as more then jsut an old rat. You have given me all that. I will always watch over you. God made some of us with short lives and some with longer lives and all of us seirve a purpose that way and we all were created with and by love.
ME: What if you are in pain and I cant help you fast enough what if I missed something that could have saved you? I dont ever want to lose you.
Garth: You never miss a thing even when you think you have just think back. And even if you coudl have done something to help me earlier when its my time its my time. As long as you are with me in my time of need and hold me I will be alright and the pain will not be as bad if am in pain till you can get me help. You are being selfish by always wanting to hold on to me becuase when its my time I leave and become a rat angel to watch over other rats and be their Gaurdin Angels. When I leave I wont be able to talk to you like I am now but you'll know that I love you and understand and knwo that you cared for me. And I know that you will know that as well. Also if I am in pain like a lot and bite and you get mad at me I know that you still love me and wont mean any names you call me.

I told him I loved him in my dreams and knew that When I wake he coudl be gone or still here or that it was a really over reating imagination. Garth looked at me one last time and siad that every trear I ever cryed and when it was his time the ones I cry for him will help to keep the rivers filled in heaven and threw that river of tears he will always be able to look down on me. So cry and dont hold back weather happy, sad or what not becuase thats why there is no droughts in heaven becuase of all the love humends have for each other and animals that when you cry a little bit goes a long way and keeps heaven looking so beautiful in the tears of love that are shed.
I huged Garth and he started to give me kisses and it tickled and I woke up. there Jon my fieonce was with Garth as he sometimes brings him in to help wake me up. I had been cryign in my dream and he asked what was wrong becuase i was crying when I woke up I told him I would tell him later that it was ok just let me hold my Garth. I dryed my eyes and looked at him while Jon got me a coffee and laughted and though out loud nah it was jsut my emoptions making me have a really emotionla dream you were talkign to me and even thougth it seemed you were really their with me as in dreamign the same dream its imposible. Garth then winked at me and I was like ok imagination and again he winked and apeared to have a smile and then it poped into me head the Transformers fraze more then meets the eye. He didnt wink again but I feel as though I am closer to Garth and the others then before.
It is almost as if I dreamed the future and time was granted to me and its now the past. Although I cant say I that I wish I had more time, Granted I do wish I had more time but I mean time to do more with him. I spend every day with him and he was the 1st rat I had gotten in a long time since I lasy owned rats when I was a teen ager. He was a year old when I got him and was told he was old proably wont live long and I had him for over a year so he had to be 3 at lest or going on 3.
His sons are still in the box sulking and I know they say when rats are cage mates and close they get heart broken like we do and more for their companions. When I get them out they go right back in. I talk the box out they lay in that spot. I left him him there for a bit petting them so they could say good bye but there still sulking. The others will go over and clean them and lay by them but them come over and groom me and drink a little and take a peace of food and go eat it or some go lay on the leves or close to his sons. I am hoping that they will be ok. I know they are proably as upset as I am.
Garth is the Grand Father of Tattoie babies on the coutch play time photos. And Little Luke even though like mom in personality gives me that look at times that Garth seemed to Tattoie has the same look. I cant exsplain the look he gave me or luke in tattoue do. It a look that I seem and reconize like our bonded look you could call it. TO my other half there yes special like they are to me but to him he said he knows what I mean but has never seen the look from them like I do. Then again he could but to him its diffrent. to me its like we made a conection for a moment like a cord to a socket or cable to a tv to turn it on sorta feel then that it. Dont know if you all understand what I mean by the look or have ever had a certion pet in your life that has given you a certin look and you know. Almost like the movie Rattatouie were they bonded had that look were they understood. A conection.
Well I say my good byes and it sucks that its close to a holiday. I never have good luck on a holiday. I am either sick, get injured some how, or something happends. Last year the pond pumps froze and we thought all was shut off and it pumped all the water almost out of the pond so from 3 pm to 2 am we hald water from the creek to fill it back up after dad fixed the problem So got to eat dinner at 4 am the next day but we enjoyed the sleeping in. So I dont have to ask what can go wrong this year,
I am torn apart about Garth becuase he was not breathing heavy all things were better that eavaning. I to a point wished i was there with him but then again I dont think I could have handeled it as well as I am now.
I have tryed blocking it out knowing it was his time he is in a better place and going about my bizz getting things done that need done but it is slowly catching up and at some point I will deal with as in alone off somewere but I have to be strong and keep going for the other critters I can just quite now for a breackdown and leave my other half do it all. Besided Garth would not want me to beack down as in give up or since into a deep depreasion but to keep going knowing that he is with my other pets, and proably up there sitting next to my old dog and other pets by my grandfathers and other relitives fishen in the best fishen spot just waiting till its my turn. Besides Garht would look handsome with wings and a Haylo.
Diamond

LIFE IS NOT TRYED IT IS MERLY SURVIVED WHEN YOUR STANDING OUTSIDE THE FIRE.
Now your finally HOME old friend. Life here is Just a pit stop and a few advenchers along the way, Home is were the heart which is in the sky beyond the clouds. I'll never forget you nore all you tought me along the way.
Quote: The Diamond Never More.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh I am so sorry for your loss...he is a very pretty boy! RIP Garth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry to hear this sad news Diamond. Hope he is enjoying ratty heaven

Mister Winston Shiny-Sides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

When I lost my first rats to the heat, my sister's boyfriend went and buried them somewhere grassy and marked their grave for me so I knew where it was. I don't go and visit any more cause I don't live near where they're buried. But I cried for days. I was closer to them then I am to the two I have now. Thats not to say I don't love my current girlies. I'm sorry for your loss. He had a good life, I'm sure. He's had the same blaze my blue girl has

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)

Last edited by PitaPandora; 11-24-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Wanted to add something
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm sorry to hear that, Diamond. Garth was a beautiful boy, and I bet he had a really happy life with you. RIP

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

He will be burried at my parents in there pet cemetray tomorrow. I will take his 2 sons with me as they are still just laying there and I hope that they will be ok. I fear that they are what some have told me that they were so close as in closer then I thought at cage mates. I hope they snap out of it but I would rather have them with me since I will be gone over night.
I called my vet which will see them after thanksgiving to make shure they are alright. She thinks as I do that they are depressed and heart broken becuase his was their dad who is there buddy. Although the whole house seems calm and noiseless as all the rats even the females seem to sence a lost maybe they are picking that vib up becuase I feel upset and so they are just chilled out becuase they sence some thing.
I let tattoie and oreo, his daughter see him, his grandkids and Baton his mate who see each other from time to time (watched and made shure nothing has happed) and she seems to be like the boys are. So all the his kin folk is going with me to morrow. exspecilly the boys but this way they can attend the burriel if the weather is fair but its supose to rain. But at lest they will be with me and I will feel like a part of him is there as well since I do have a part of him that lives on in them.
I dont know how to exsplain Garth other to me he was speacil to me and his kids that I kept are as well. He was my buddy and best frined and part of the family.
When We 1st got him he was the only rat. and when we went to bed the next moring I would wake up to him on my pillow. so we put hooks on the tank we had him in which is all I had at the time. But he manage to get out. so at night we took the tank in the bed room and he stayed in it. After we moved we got him a cage mate then 2 more and then a girlfriend. but he would still sleep with me at night (never potty in bed and have no clue to this day were he went unless he held it.) take naps with me and as much as a picture taker I am I never once thought to take pics. even after the dream I figered I would have at lest time to do that. But I cant change the past but I can the future so me and my other half have set aside that at lest 2 a week or every other night we are gonna do pictures of all the rats so we make shure we always have enough.
But I can dwell on the past but I can remember and move on to the future. Hope you all have a happy thanksgiving. At lest tommor he will be burried and I wont have to do it on thanksgiving. so I have something to be thank full for. B/c that would really suck.
Diamond

Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.

Last edited by Diamond01; 11-24-2009 at 11:56 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sorry to read about Garth.

Play hard at The Bridge little man!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:26 AM

Im sorry for your loss.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Thank you every one. Sad to anouce that even with take taj and spud garth sons they did not make it. They refussed to eat or drink even when I used and eye dropper and just layed there. Not hard breathing or laybord like they were in a trance.
Also Baton Tattoies mom has passed this morring. She was old as well and for a while was not acting her self getting very slow and she was starting to have laybord breathing from time to time. She a week ago had a lump that developed right under her armpit were there is a teet. But it was small and with in 3 days seemed to disaper. I planed on after thanks giving to take her in becuase i have to get Woverine or take him in and poop sample for the meg and get his checked out since he is a high white and Baton is as well Thinking it was mega for her but she showed only once in a while the laybored breathing. For thanksgiving she was up and about adn had some trukey, sweet potatos, and cranberries and bread with a little gravy as did the rest. But that mornign she was gone. She was not breathing heavy that night when I went to bed or when having her thanksgiving meal. She had to be about 2 becuase when she came to me I was told her was 6 months old and so was cheyenne but I knew diffrent which Cheyenne she showed her age then but batton did not I pegged her at maybe 6 months or older close to a year.
I think maybe she had an abses or a milk gland infected and it ran quickly the infectiong threw her body but she only showed signs just recently and then better and poof gone. I hate when you have a bunch of older pets all close to that same age. Like my mom took the 3 dogs in and one have or is starting to have liver failer and had a couple moles this passed year that keep breacking open but are tumors but not canerouse yet and something like crons dessieas. My mom and i cant pronouce it or say it right. Also his mother is completly deff know and has the same thing the crons thing.
But when you have a bunch of oldes thats what happends. The only old one i have left are Cheyenne Meat loaf, Goblin and chupracabera. and the are looking there age and mostly just stay to them selves and keep to them selves they remind me of old men setting around playing chest. I look for them to pass as well becuase lofer is almost or is 2 and goblin the same they were both rescues from snake food. Chupracabera was just a miss treated poor rat that was told to me to be 2 and use to be nice then got mean. But I think he was abused by the lady who gave him to me husbend becuase he was afraid of him which he told me he was but never why.
I still miss Garth and am tore up and exspecially his cage mates his 2 sons. And I new that baton was only a matter of time as well and that hurts as well. I wish his sons would have snapped out of it but I think they were attually heartbroken becuase none of the others acted this way. Although to be on the safe side when I make Woverins opointment I will take over poop samples of some of the other rats to see what they can test from them and see if he wants me to bring any others in and test a few out that are none related and related to make shure all is good. But I think its like my vet said they died of lonly ness which rats can with a really bonded cage mate. I hope all my oldes live a little longer but I know I should prepare my self incase. but I hope that when they go its strached out a littl from one another. Although when it is there time its there time.
Diamond

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

i'm so sorry for your losses Diamond
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Thanks. I know my oldes are goodies but they are old and rats dont live that long. I hope that Wolverine when I take him to get him checked is ok. He is showing no signs now with the mega but better safe then sorry. He is 4 months old know and passed the 3 month stage but I know there can be the late onset of mega.
Although I have had my losses of the oldes I know that I have a part of them in there children and personalitys that will live on and when I look at them I see a part of them looking back almost. Well Its supper late and way passed feed and water check one last time before bed so I think I will go tuck every one in and pray that any more old ones pass any time soon that its in there sleep and painless. Which so far all have seemed to go that way. What was hard was watch Garths sons who were young yet slowly slip away.
Granted we may not get them with us for long and they are short lived but the joy and love we get from them in that time last us forever.
Diamond

Tags
rat passing