Good Vibes Needed for Cecil, Melvin, Waldo & Yara on Wed. - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Melvin's fine but I won't be...sigh, got some not so good news. These 4 are so genetically prone to these eye issues, that they are going to need special care for life. They found more debris under their eyes since last week, and they examined it and found it to be mostly material. And I am going to need help with suggestions and possibly hammock makers help?

Basically they have to be in as lint free cage environment as possible.

1) no fleece, regular cotton, flannel, etc...I can put them on lint free cloths, or high thread count sheets *ouch* They have said 50% cotton/50% polyester blend is fine.
2) no litter...so no Yesterdays News, and as most of us know, nakies are Elmination Machines which means changing their cages as often as I can.
3) flushing eyes daily
4) their laundry will have to be washed separately from anyone elses
5) worst of all...Yara is going to have to be taken from Sage I am going to have to her spayed (ovariectomy) and get her in with Norby.
6) there will still be occasional visits to the vet for eye flushes like with Lilith...

My poor poor babies I am going to have to do a lot of things JUST for them, like buy this high count cotton and send it to hammock makers to make hammocks...could they be made in lots of layers for extra warmth for chilly nakies?

Anyone have any suggestions on anything I would LOVE to hear it.

Melvin's incision looks great, there's no post-surgical swelling at all

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Melvin's eye looks great! Tell him he is a very handsome boy for me.

Lilspaz, did you consider possibly making hammocks yourself so you don't have to have the material sent out and made for you? I was just trying to think of a suggestion about those. I bought myself a grommet "gun" or whatever those are called, from the fabric store, and some grommets, and just made my own fleece hammocks that way. But you might be used to much nicer, fancier ones for your kids? Mine worked great for my boys, but they were essentially two pieces of fleece with four grommet holes in each corner and voila, up they went in the ratty house. Nothing fancy, but I thought it might work for you if you wanted to avoid having to send your material out to a hammock maker?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina View Post
Melvin's eye looks great! Tell him he is a very handsome boy for me.

Lilspaz, did you consider possibly making hammocks yourself so you don't have to have the material sent out and made for you? I was just trying to think of a suggestion about those. I bought myself a grommet "gun" or whatever those are called, from the fabric store, and some grommets, and just made my own fleece hammocks that way. But you might be used to much nicer, fancier ones for your kids? Mine worked great for my boys, but they were essentially two pieces of fleece with four grommet holes in each corner and voila, up they went in the ratty house. Nothing fancy, but I thought it might work for you if you wanted to avoid having to send your material out to a hammock maker?
I cannot sew for the life of me, plus there's no extra time for it. I am not allowed to use any fleece at all...they were on fleece and got lint in their eyes from it in a week. if I can figure out what fabrics my hammock makers can get for me, they might just be able to buy it and keep it in stock. I don't have a car so finding fabric in toronto would be difficult, we don't have anything like Joann's or Hancocks here. We have this nasty expensive thing called Fabric Land.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a regular person you get stuff made from, I'd talk to them about the possibility of them picking up the fabric for you. That way you wouldn't have the extra cost of shipping it to them.

My mom is a seamstress, she makes clothing mostly and not much pet stuff, but it's pretty regular practice for her clients to ask for certain types of fabrics and she'll pick it up for them, make whatever they want out of it, then ship it out to them. If the people you buy from make a lot of stuff to sell, then I'd bet they are making a lot of trips to the fabric store already. So picking up one extra type of material hopefully wouldn't be a big deal.

I'm sorry about the ratties eye issues, but they are certainly lucky that they are with you!

post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I am a lousy sewer too Lilspaz...I never even sewed my hammocks for the boys! I am so bad at it, I would just use the grommets in the corners to tamp off the ends of the material. Probably the worse made hammocks in the world! But I am glad my boys did not mind that I couldn't sew.
I can totally appreciate how little time you have for making hammocks so it is understandable. I don't even know how you make the time right now to do all that you do for your babies, so hats off to you.

I hope a solution will present itself and save you some hassle. I wish I could think of something else to suggest!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Well actually one of my local hammock makers (and friends) came up with broadcloth. They bought some solid colours of it and are making the nakies hammocks out of it. This broadcloth is supposed to be durable and a tight weave, little lint, and its 35% cotton/65% polyester which isn't the most ideal but fits the parameters.

As for Cecil Man

Here he is last night, bright, active and quick!!

He loves to groom which means that sparse harsh coat is just going to have to shine one day

and especially loves to groom his belly...he actually has changed his grooming pattern...its normally lick paws, groom over head, turn to side groom flanks, etc, then belly and finally the tail (a lot of rats stop before the tail )...Cecil's is head grooming, then belly...then he might go on to the rest or he starts all over again

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Playful Pup

Cecil

Cecil just warms my heart!! Such a brave little guy!!
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
If you have a regular person you get stuff made from, I'd talk to them about the possibility of them picking up the fabric for you. That way you wouldn't have the extra cost of shipping it to them.

My mom is a seamstress, she makes clothing mostly and not much pet stuff, but it's pretty regular practice for her clients to ask for certain types of fabrics and she'll pick it up for them, make whatever they want out of it, then ship it out to them. If the people you buy from make a lot of stuff to sell, then I'd bet they are making a lot of trips to the fabric store already. So picking up one extra type of material hopefully wouldn't be a big deal.

I'm sorry about the ratties eye issues, but they are certainly lucky that they are with you!
It seems my regular hammock makers are all willing to do this, in fact the nakies are getting some hammocks made from a broadcloth blend as we speak

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I just showed my husband Cecil's new photos and he said, "Hooray for Cecil!!" We are both so happy for him and love seeing his new photos, grooming happily away. I bet Cecil is really starting to enjoy the freedom of no big tumor to lug around. What a brave and sweet boy! We just looooves him. Way to go Cecil, keep it up!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

OK multiple posts going up for updates. First Norbert' critter pod arrived...he loves it. Also at the same time a wonderful friend sent me this stuff to try as a "bedding" called Vet Bed...it looks like a stuffed animal fake fur, but boy does it work!!

Then 2 days later the broadcloth hammocks arrived from the Cozy Corner. I couldn't wait to put them in!

All the boys are done

Nasty Boys first...have this revolting habit of pooping on the top shelf, I clean it twice a day... *gag*

They are thrilled with the hammock and the soft cushy stuff in the bottom

and Norby in his teeny cage (temporary til I sort out Yara's spay and she can join him in a bigger cage)

I barely had the double decker in place before he was diving in LOLOL

He wants to thank everyone for their kindnesses

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 01-16-2012 at 07:46 AM.
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

And finally the girls...

and this blooper shot

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

So I try very hard not to obsess over Cecil too much, and was away for 2 days at my Moms for my birthday. Took out the entire crew of 4, but realized that Cecil looked different, so I weighed him....300 grams! He looks very funny because his fur is thinning everywhere but both of the beige boys have the same thinning fur on their backs.

Lovely Cecil

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wonderful!!! That new cloth looks soooo cozy and soft! If I were a rat, I would want to lay down on that too.

The houses look great, with all the new hammocks, and the critter pod...critter pods are great aren't they? They remind me of a futuristic Jetsons hanging club house or tree house.

Cecil looks wonderful too! What a happy boy! Thanks so much for the update photos!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Newborn Pup

Awwwwe Im so happy for you. ALl these stories on here have me cuddling my babies with teary eyes!