Goodbye my sweet Windham 1/26/10-10/9/10 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Goodbye my sweet Windham 1/26/10-10/9/10

I hate to come back from an absence to write this kind of thread. But I know you guys love my boys too, so I had to share.

My little guy Windham is gone. About four or five weeks ago, he injured himself somehow. Possibly a fall or possibly getting tangled up in something. I'll never know how he hurt himself. I just noticed that he'd stopped coming out of his den for play time for a couple of days. I took him out to check on him, not thinking anything was wrong, and found out that he had lost the use of his front paw. A vet visit found nothing structurally wrong in palpation, and he kindly suggested against an x-ray as it would only be a diagnostic tool and wouldn't be any help in improving a course of action for treatment.

Nothing improved his situation. Then last week he started losing weight, going from a robust two lbs to a little over a pound. He also started showing weakness and muscle degeneration all along his injured side, affecting his ability to hold himself upright. The doctor is pretty convinced it was a spinal neck injury that had somehow gotten aggravated. I spent this week nursing him through his last regimen of steroids, pain meds, and antibiotics, but watching him struggling gamely around his cage last night, I knew it was time.

He could probably go for another three or four months like he is, but I couldn't see him lose quality of life. Better to say goodbye sooner than later. I took him this morning to have him humanely put to sleep. I cried like a baby and kissed him goodbye, leaving him with a little cup of his favorite treats. I couldn't be there with him as I had to go to work, and his doctor wouldn't be able to be there in time, nor would I be allowed back into the surgery area for the anesthesia and final injection.

The vet's office was so wonderful with him. They worked me in quickly, in spite of several emergency cases filling up their time, and they went above and beyond to help Windham and I through the whole day with thoughtfulness and love. Thanks to them, I now have a little plaster disc with Windham's name and paw prints on it. We'll add a ribbon for hanging, and we'll put it on the wall above the boys' cage.

My entire family helped me dig a little resting place for him in the rocky, hard B'ham soil. Even my rat curmudgeon husband, who delights in very poor taste 'jokes' about my boys, bent his back for 30 minutes to get the bed just right for a comfortable rest. We picked a nice shady spot with lots of trees for climbing and exploring for him. His marker stone came from 'Pooh's Hollow', a family camping site and no better place for exploring critters ever existed than that.

Windham made me happy. He was the gentlest little soul who despite being the biggest of my three rat boys, was the bottom of the pecking order, unless food was involved. He was destined to be a big round squish had he been able to continue on. He was my shy boy, who preferred his brothers to me. He'd changed in the weeks of his treatment. He started seeking me out, and seemed to enjoy sleeping in my lap while I worked. Yesterday, he bruxed and boggled for me when I talked to him. Others owned by rats know what a huge thing that is for a ratty owner.

And you know, as I said elsewhere, I smile at the idea of a real little 'ghost' boy running through my house, unhindered by pesky moms or blocked doors. Bye bye sweet Windham. Thanks for teaching me to be a better ratty owner, and thanks for just being you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

ohhh story, I am sooo sad to hear this!
RIP little Windham.
And hugs to you.
You got him from a breeder, right? did you tell her about it? because it sounds like he may have gotten a stroke?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

So sorry to hear about little Windham, Storyseeker. I know you gave him a great life, and it is so heartbreaking to hear about him having to leave this way. I know you did the right thing, though, by making sure he wasn't in pain anymore. I hope you, your family, and your other two boys--his dear brothers--are adjusting to this loss. I'll be thinking about you all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Storyseeker,
I was just stunned to see your post tonight, especially after receiving your very touching condolences about my two boys.

I am SO very sorry about Windham and I just can't believe it. Marc and I both read your post and we kept saying over and over, "We know exactly how Storyseeker feels." That is what this forum is for, for support from other people who know all about the wonderful joys as well as the heartbreaks we deal with when it comes to our beautiful rat children.

I totally feel for you right now and your post sounded so similar to what we just went through with our boys. So much crying and heartache, wanting to get them out of their pain and let them rest, and losing a baby at such an early age.

We can relate to every aspect of what you are going through. We know how much it hurts and it is so obvious from you post that Windham was very special and sweet and very, very loved. We all love each other's babies on this forum so you are among family here and not alone with your grief.

Just like you, Marc and I are ALSO comforted by knowing that Klausse and Wolfie are still here in the house with us, running around and visiting with us to cheer us up, in between hanging out and having fun in Ratty Nirvana where I know they are having so much fun with their cousin Windham right now. I hope that thought comforts you a bit.

Our thoughts are with you and Windham right now and I hope, when you are ready to do so, you will be able to post some photos of Windham so we can honor him. Take care and feel free to come to the forum whenever you need to talk with your fellow rat parents.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
ohhh story, I am sooo sad to hear this!
RIP little Windham.
And hugs to you.
You got him from a breeder, right? did you tell her about it? because it sounds like he may have gotten a stroke?
Hey Dustette,

Yeah, I've been in contact with the breeder through all stages of his decline, including asking her final requests on euthanasia and such. She's been such an awesome font of rattie wisdom through everything. Like you, I wondered about a stroke, simply because I hadn't seen him fall or anything that could have pointed to a fracture. I asked the vet about the possibility and he said it just didn't look like that to him or the clinic's other exotics vet.

Thanks for your hugs. There's never enough of them when you're missing your little ones.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 10-13-2010 at 07:38 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
So sorry to hear about little Windham, Storyseeker. I know you gave him a great life, and it is so heartbreaking to hear about him having to leave this way. I know you did the right thing, though, by making sure he wasn't in pain anymore. I hope you, your family, and your other two boys--his dear brothers--are adjusting to this loss. I'll be thinking about you all.

Thank you Breyer. I was expecting to say goodbye much too soon with my boys, but so young. We're pretty peaceful about it now. I think the best thing that helped all of us was an off hand comment on another forum, where they said he was a real ghost boy now. It just made me and the boys smile to think of him still running around, happy he wasn't confined to the floor of his cage any more, and even happier that he wasn't being limited to closed doors.

The funniest thing about my boys is that they are masters at the bait and switch to try to help each other distract me by an open door. Windham would almost always elect for wall duty by the door, waiting until I was distracted to dart for the opening. I know he's giggling to himself as he zooms right through hands, foot, door, and all.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I do really like that thought about your real "ghost boy" now, as well. It's comforting to know that he's still there with you, getting into mischief and probably whispering little secrets into his brothers' ears to give them ideas about how to get into trouble next.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina View Post
Storyseeker,
I was just stunned to see your post tonight, especially after receiving your very touching condolences about my two boys.

I am SO very sorry about Windham and I just can't believe it. Marc and I both read your post and we kept saying over and over, "We know exactly how Storyseeker feels." That is what this forum is for, for support from other people who know all about the wonderful joys as well as the heartbreaks we deal with when it comes to our beautiful rat children.

I totally feel for you right now and your post sounded so similar to what we just went through with our boys. So much crying and heartache, wanting to get them out of their pain and let them rest, and losing a baby at such an early age.

We can relate to every aspect of what you are going through. We know how much it hurts and it is so obvious from you post that Windham was very special and sweet and very, very loved. We all love each other's babies on this forum so you are among family here and not alone with your grief.

Just like you, Marc and I are ALSO comforted by knowing that Klausse and Wolfie are still here in the house with us, running around and visiting with us to cheer us up, in between hanging out and having fun in Ratty Nirvana where I know they are having so much fun with their cousin Windham right now. I hope that thought comforts you a bit.

Our thoughts are with you and Windham right now and I hope, when you are ready to do so, you will be able to post some photos of Windham so we can honor him. Take care and feel free to come to the forum whenever you need to talk with your fellow rat parents.

Vladina, this is yet another reason I feel a bond to you. Loss surely does bring people closer, as it should. I will have to keep a look out underfoot as now I'll have two extra visiting little 'cousins' flitting past my toes out of the corner of my eye.

Though no longer on this plane, all our boys will discover a way to take over the world yet.

I could never get many good shots of him, though I tried. He was always my shy boy. Just for you guys though, some of my favorite shots and almost shots.

Baby Windham at 5 weeks old, still with his greyish babyfur, and telling me even then, he would prefer privacy please.

My twin boys Tucker and Windham showing their tight bond. The only way I could tell them apart, as even minute details of their fur patterns were identical, was that Windham (on the right) was developing into a fatty pudge, and Tucker had his tail dyed green.

Windham showing he, like Pooh, was stuffed with fluff.

Another shot that same night. Windham loved the top of the toilet lit. I'd originally attributed this and the above pic as Tucker on another thread, but realized that the proporin on his eye proved me wrong as he'd had a bit of a problem with eye boogers in that eye during that time.

Squishyball!

Windham, proving that while he was shy at most things, food turned him into a pushy bowl horder.

This pic always makes me smile. My rats playing shoulder shrug. That's Windham goulies and tail in the middle.

Peek a boo.

He loved wall pockets. This picture was Windham's personality on display more than any other I own.

You do that my sweet boy, you do that.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 10-13-2010 at 08:33 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
I do really like that thought about your real "ghost boy" now, as well. It's comforting to know that he's still there with you, getting into mischief and probably whispering little secrets into his brothers' ears to give them ideas about how to get into trouble next.

Oh gosh, you get it!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awww, what fantastic pictures of your boys, and Windham was soooo beautiful, Storyseeker. What a gorgeous dark pudgy bear he was. The shy personality is so apparent in the pictures. Thanks for sharing those with us, I loved them!

Yes, agreed, our boys will all take over the world, I do not doubt it!
And I will have to keep an eye out for Windham as well, at our place, running willy nilly all over the place with Klausse and Wolfgang, for sure. That makes me smile. A happy thought!

Hats off to Windham, our beautiful, sweet pudge-pudge boy. We love you!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Adorable pictures, Storyseeker! He was a beautiful boy. Rest in peace, Windham!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I love the pictures!!!
And I too like the idea of a real "ghost boy"
And I am sending more hugs your way, as many as you need, and Louna sends loving licks.

He was such a fluffy pudge!

Tags
alabama ghost boy, windham