got 2 little boys :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

got 2 little boys :)

Well the lady contacted me today and she said she was keeping the little boys for her daughter which kind of annoyed me !
So we went out to our petstore which i got my toto and novo from and see these TINY little babies they where 8 weeks old and WOW how friendly they where so yes i had to have them LOL!

So i brought them home into my spare cage with small bars LOL and they are fine tho a few sneezes and coughs don;t know if its anything serious but we arnt letting novo run around with them until i see if their sneezes and coughs go away!
So i showed novo them like holded one of the babies and GOSH he got so excited he wanted to grab them LOL he started bruxing and grooming one of them so hopefully thats good!

They are browny black hooded boys they are GORGEOUS!!!
One is very shy and squeeks when you lift him or move your hand over him but he should come round!!

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awesome, Claire!! It sounds like Novo is ready to accept the babies as his new brothers. I can't wait to see pics.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

YAY!! I'm sooo happy for you Claire!!
It's a shame you couldn't get those other boys, but I'm sure the ones you have will be just as good! Anyways, any name ideas??
Sounds like everything is going to be great! I think that when new rats are welcomed, a few sneezes are normal, unless it's exessive
Good luck hun, luv ya xxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Adolescent Pup

Now, I am very happy for you but all I can think of is, WHY DIDN"T YOU WAIT? Now, I say this because of the time frame of your posts and threads, you have not had them for long.

They need to never come in contact with him until it has been a few weeks. Not having indirect contact is good too. (Meaning you should wash your hands after doing anything with them, even just feeding them.) You yourself said they were sneezing and coughing. What if it is not just because of the move and they are sick? Every time you get a new rat (or most other pets for that matter. I even did it with my kittens) they need to be quarantined for at the very least a week, but best for two or three weeks. I am not trying to be mean, rain on your happiness, or scare you. But, quarantine is a must, if they have some, Novo could get it. Especially since he groomed them. He has possibly gotten their salvia in his mouth and picked up anything they have.

I will be nice to the pet stores and say, 8 out of 10 rats from a pet store will be sick. Most times with a RI. You need to keep a close eye on them. Sometimes it is hard to hear their breathing if the RI is just starting. Since you can not ask them to take a deep breath, you must make them take a deep breath so you can listen. Hold them in your hand around the middle section; making sure your hand is behind their front legs, around their chest and stomach. Squeeze gently. You will be contracting their lungs so they have to breath deeper and this will let you hear any small noises you would not have heard other wise. You're not hurting them, it is as if someone gave you a hug and squeezed a little too much and you had to put more effort into breathing. You do not have to do it for long. It actually works better if you squeeze a second or two, let go, and repeat a few more times. Just about every time with this technique I can diagnose a RI, even when it is just starting.

So, keep them away from him for two weeks, or more. Rushing into it is not worth it. It will cost you heartache, money, and worry time. Keep an eye on all three of them, watching and listening for signs or RI. I know you said Novo has already had a problem. In the rats I have taken in, the ones with RI’s are more susceptible to them, and the more likely a little cold or allergy when turn into an RI. You may need to take them to the vet or get some medicine for them. I would have them diagnosed by a vet if their symptoms get worse. Better safe then sorry.

I have had so many rats I have fostered that have been sick that the vet leveled with me. He told me that they give Tetracycline for RI’s, and instead of coming in every time (paying the office visit and the jacked up medicine price), to just go to the pet store and buy the one marked for birds (that is the only antibiotic they sell), make sure the dose is right, and follow the directions. But, he also knows I am a vet student and I have had so much experience with RI’s, that I can be sure not to give them medicine for every little sneeze. So, for years, I have been doing that with sick rats I take in and it works, I would have to say better, than the antibiotics the vets have given me.

I am sorry if I upset you or anything. I just do not want to see you or your ratties get hurt. I really am happy for you and I wish you the best.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Thanks everyone,
Anya thanks for your advice! i never let him play with them i let him see them for like 2 seconds and took them away,
I have no experiance with rats and i honestly didnt think a 8 weeks old rat could get a RI so im sorry if i done the wrong thing.
But at the end of the week the girl at the petstore says if there is any problems to bring them back in and she will check over them and see if i want to keep or return them but i think it might just be new home sneezes.
There breathing is fast and a little squeak but i think they are just scared and panicing a little when they are running around.
They are sniffing alot of the cage and thats when they sneeze so i think it might just be new home sneezes thats everyone.

No i havnt thought of any names yet incase anything goes wrong because after all novo still might not take to them.
They are in different cages and i wash my hands and everything.
I will be keeping them seperated for 2 weeks or so.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:29 AM
RAT ADDICT

CongRATS!

However,keep them quaratined in a seperate room for 2-3 weeks! Even just letting them sniff can pass on any illness (if there are any).RI's are passed through saliva and the air,when they sneeze.And yes,an 8 week old rat can get it just as a 1 yr old can.RI's are highly contagious.

Some sneezing is normal when rats are in a new enviroment.However if it does not go away or is excessive,then that normally means the rat is sick.

Anyway good luck!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *