Greenies/Nylabones for Rats OK? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Greenies/Nylabones for Rats OK?

Hi all,

Quick question came up when I was shopping for stocking stuffers for my two ratty boys.

Do you know those chew sticks for dogs called, "Greenies"? Are those okay for rats as a chew toy? What about Nylabones?

I thought I may have heard someone on the forum talking about giving those to their rats for a treat but I did not know if they are safe for rats or if there are any issues to be aware of?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well, I learned my lesson! Research and try to find an answer yourself before posting on the forum, ha ha.

I read up on some posts and articles on Greenies and Nylabones and I found my answers! Sorry about posting first without trying to find the answer myself!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Hahah I was trying to remember the huge debates we had on greenies from years ago, and I think some were an "okay" treat if you found the ones with low protein? *scratches head*

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ha ha! Yep, the general information I got from some research was somewhere along the lines of, "welll....they are too high in protein for rats, but for a very once in awhile thing (like a stocking stuffer, and if the Greenie is a TINY one) then it won't be the end of the world.

Some others were like, "Oh yeah, my rats love those!" but, high protein, no, that scares me. I have a tiny sample size one I picked up while shopping for stocking stuffers for my sister's dog so I will let my boys have a lil nibble on it, then call it good. Just for a one time taste treat for them.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I actually tried to give Russ and Stan one of those when they were less than a year old, but they actually didn't like it! (Much to my surprise!) It shouldn't hurt them as long as it's in small quantities, and under supervision.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes, agreed! My boys really don't need yet another treat (they have more than plenty, the lil chub monkeys) but just for a taste, for something new for them to nibble, just for the holidays.

And yes, with supervision, you betcha! (I have hawk eyes when it comes to stuff like that!)

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 AM
Newborn Pup

Rats also LOVE rawhide dog bones too. My girls gnaw on theirs all the time. I'm sure they are high in protien but seeing as it takes them a few months for them to chew it up completely, even with 3 working on it, I don't think it's too serious a problem.