Photos! Gretchen is having her babies! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Gretchen is having her babies!

I was giving all the preggo moms some treats before I left, and I looked in Gretchen's cage and she popped out her first baby right as I looked in! So I took a pic, first little one born. Only a minute old. <3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Hello Earthling

Oh so cute!!! Hope she has a smooth delivery.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

She has 5 babies out now. One in the back looks smaller and it might be dead, i didn't see it moving at all, but I really can't tell. I'll find out later when she's done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

It's a little bloody, if anyone doesn't want me to post pics, I won't anymore lol.

You can see the one in the back that I mentioned in this pic, and the 6th one being born.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Ahhhh Oh my gosh!! How exciting! Good Luck Gretchen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

She has 9 babies now. Not sure if shes done yet or not, but she still looks a little plump in her belly. She was taking a break and she came out to go potty and get a drink so i gave her a grape to nibble on. She's so cute with her babies.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Well I went to check on my other girls, and one of the females that didn't look so heavily pregnant, is having babies too! Woo today is a great day to have kids for my rats lol.

My husband thought it was odd that one of the igloos was stuffed with tissues in the doorway, so he was pulling out some of the tissues to look inside and see who was hiding, and Beth bit him! So I said "maybe she is having her babies..." But I didn't think she was... I was just making an excuse for her biting him so he didn't start hating her lol. And I lifted up the igloo and sure enough, she has one baby in there!

She's in a large 6ft x 5ft x 2ft cage with 4 other rats, and none of them are bothering her at all, so I think I'm just going to leave her for now.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Yay! Can't wait fro more pics!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Well, 4 are dead , but 5 are alive.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aww, I'm sorry some didn't make it. The pics are great, though!! Thanks for sharing the excitement with us!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 05:45 PM

How did they die? Did she eat them or did they just die from trauma of birth?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

As far as I know, they were born dead. Could have been some kind of complication during birth, but the whole process went pretty quickly and smooth as far as I could tell from watching through her igloo door; no babies stuck in the birth canal or anything like that. They came out looking dead, their color was dark purple, as opposed to the other healthy babies that were pink.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 07:47 PM

Poor babies. Ce la Vie... better to be still born than suffer and die young though.

I'm glad you have healthy ones and I hope we see more pictures of them soon.