Grooming my Rat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Grooming my Rat?

Hi well sometimes my rattie smells so I give her a small bath is that ok?

I also have another question her Nails are so long I tryed cutting them but she moves too much and they grow SO FAST!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Muffin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dutchess

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Take a 2 liter bottle, cut it open, and line the inside with some sandpaper from the hardware store. Then, put her in it and just slowly change the axis of the bottle by rolling it around and rotating it and turning it so they have to keep walking and gripping it. I think this'll wear their nails down in not too long a time. I also think this was originally mulder's(?) idea...before I heard this I wondered how to do it myself.

edit: Oh, I think you can also bring in a rough rock from the garden that they would enjoy climbing all over...I know people who keep rocks in their cages and it keeps the rats nails at an acceptable length.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks....Turkeyman
Thats a good idea WOW this website is so helpfull because I went from owning a Cat to a Rat I had to get rid of my cat because my Apt. wanted a 500 dollar payment on our lease!!! YIKES! Thanks for your help if you think of any thing else let me know please!
Thanks for your time!

Muffin

Dutchess

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Adolescent Pup

I was wondering that myself. I was afraid to cut her nails because her little toes are so tiny and she moves around so much. So, thanks for the info.

Kila The Rat Faced Girl & Baby Cheyenne

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:22 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

can you do this for mice too as some of mine have sharp nails

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

My rat has ungoddly sharp nails I cant pick her up with out her practily peircing my skin!!

Muffin

Dutchess

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyman
Take a 2 liter bottle, cut it open, and line the inside with some sandpaper from the hardware store. Then, put her in it and just slowly change the axis of the bottle by rolling it around and rotating it and turning it so they have to keep walking and gripping it. I think this'll wear their nails down in not too long a time. I also think this was originally mulder's(?) idea...before I heard this I wondered how to do it myself.

edit: Oh, I think you can also bring in a rough rock from the garden that they would enjoy climbing all over...I know people who keep rocks in their cages and it keeps the rats nails at an acceptable length.
That's a really good idea. Putting the sand paper in a 2-liter bottle and slowly rotating it.
My father holds a large piece of sand paper in one hand and then holds the rats over it. They try and walk and it files down their nails so they don't hurt. Rats’ nails do get sharp. They'll make you bleed every time.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I was thinking do you think that the sand paper might hurt the pads of her paws????

Muffin

Dutchess

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Adolescent Pup

I know I have all kinds of scratches on me.

Monday I took Moe to the vet and he was so nervous that my wrists are a mess.

I'll probably put some rocks in the rats cages. I do have a clay pot saucer under one water bottle but it doesn't seem to be working.

Redsweettart

boys: cadoo, cosmo, jinx, moe, ziggy
girlies: sox, chops

gone: Inky--2/7/07 Oreo 4/1/07
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 01:56 AM
RAT ADDICT

Ratty nails do get incredibly sharp! I have many scratches and scars to prove it!

Anyway giving your rat a bath occassionally is okay.However rats do not need baths very often,as they are very clean animals.The only times you should bath them is when they are extremely dirty or got into something messy.Or when they are sick or older and have trouble bathing themselves.

Do NOT use human soap on your rat.Use mild kitten shampoo or you can get actualy shampoos made for small animals.

As for the nail thing,I put rocks or bricks in the cages often and they trim their nails by walking and climbing over the rocks.I do the same for my mice.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I have to make a bigger cage first... I cant afford to buy a 150 dollar cage so i'm gunna make one but until then i'll have to atempt (sp?) to keep cutting her nails.

Muffin

Dutchess

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:58 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymuffers
I have to make a bigger cage first... I cant afford to buy a 150 dollar cage so i'm gunna make one but until then i'll have to atempt (sp?) to keep cutting her nails.
Check out Martin's Cages...they have some good prices for decent cages!

Martin's Cages Inc. - The source for all your pet cage needs.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymuffers
The sand paper never hurt my Dad's Rats' paws. I think it should be fine. Plus you only have them walk on it for a few seconds. That should take away the sharp points. You might accidently hurt her if you keep trying to cut her nails.