Grotto style cage question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Grotto style cage question

Hey, I'm very new here, so I'm sorry if this question sounds stupid. My boyfriend and I are trying to build a 'grotto' style cage for our two boys. We have all the materials we need EXCEPT a waterproof seal for the shelves. I'd expect that most of the sealants are poisonous for ratties, so what I'm asking is what should I use? My boys aren't litter trained YET but I've heard that its hard to get boys to pee in a litter box since they try to keep their cage their scent, so this is why I want to waterproof our shelves so their pee won't corrode it.

Thank you for any help!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

When i made my grotto styler cage i just used sticky back plastic to cover the shelves! You can get it in all stationery shops and you can even buy it in col colours and patters to brighten the cage up even more and it works wonders for stopping pee soaking into the shelves and makes for easy cleaning coz you just give it a wipe over AND best of all it's not toxic to your babies! xx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

do you know how much that would be? thank you!!!

Last edited by pfftitskat; 03-01-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

i think im going to use polyurethane. does anyone know if that is poisonous? i found it on a list to use, but im not completely sure if its nontoxic or not.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Part of the Pack

someone used (or suggested to use) that paint they paint the bottom of boats with, but i think that's quite expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail

Tags
cage, poison, rat cage, waterproof