Haha! Louna in heat!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Haha! Louna in heat!!

So this is the first time ever I caught Louna in heat!
I tried to grab her from inside my sleeve, and i felt her do a weird pelvic movement. And she did it again when I pet her on her back... I thought... hmm maybe she's in heat! And then I pet her again, and bzzzt bzzzzt, ears shaking like crazy! haha!!
It's funny!
But I'm wondering if like female cats it's annoying to them and if it's better to not handle them too much when they're like that? She seems more fidgety and stands still less.
So yeah basically, should I treat her the same as when she's not in heat, or it's better to not touch her too much so it doesn't make her buck and buzz for no reason?
And will I now see it everytime? It's the first time and I think it's because I don't have her out this late usually!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

It feels so weird when they are in heat. My fieonce says there little viberaters (perverted mind he has lol) I have handeled some of mine when in heat and they act the same others that are in heat they come to me but dont like picked up and buck or want back down in the cage. I would amigin they go threw what we do when its that time.
If she seems fine then you could have her out they come into heat for a day every 2 to 4 days. Some of mine are 4 to 6 days. But if you want to leave her alone till its gone then I dont think it would hurt her. Just pet her in the cage and let her in their. I have one rat when in heat trys to hump my hand which is really anoying becuase she sweeks and all that and I'm like eeeewww. stop it. so she gets left alone when she is viberating. But when I do find they are in heat I ushally let them be. the ones that dont mind handeld I pick up and hold a bit then put them back. I also let them in the cage during playtime becuase not that they dont play but I let them be incase they are like us chicks when we are that way (when mother nature calls).
You could ask your vet but even on some other rat info sites like the AFRMA I havent seen it but that dont meen there is not an atrical on it. you could also check with them look up rat in heat on their in the search part. I hav not read all of their articals becuase most dont aply to me but I have been latly reading any and all info.
Diamond
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 06:54 PM
RAT ADDICT

Rats are funny when in heat!
Don't worry it is perfectly fine to handle her while she is in heat.Rats go into heat every 4-5 days.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 05:03 PM

Oh geeze! I knew it was often, but not that often!
Do any other animals go into heat that often?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

i knew it was every 4-5 days, but i had never seen her act it out before! but since it was after midnight, i'm guessing she's usually in heat at night!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 06:02 PM

I wonder if that is just her preferred time, or if other females go into heat at night because they are naturally nocturnal.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 PM
RAT ADDICT

Mice and hamsters also go into heat this often.I think gerbils do as well!

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 07:47 PM

Wow. I can't imagine how many babies that would create if left unattended.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 02:21 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

A HOLE LOT. Babies are cute but to much back to back breeding can really were the female out and then if their are other males they can breed with their siblings and granted that is called line breeding but that is also another touch subject that you aprotch cousesly.
I was mistaken I said 2 to 4 days I was thinking mice. But yes 4 to 5 day. Mine are all at night or I catch them really early in the morinig but later in they are not viberating, so I catch them going out. Most sites i have read say that they ushally go in to heat and have their litters under the cover or darkness as in at night but some dont they have them during the day or brred then as well.
I have one old rat that goes threw a heat but she dont produce babies she is to old its called a menipaze for them. I forgot how it goes but the old rats can still come into heat but just have dont have babies and some don't apear in heat and get prego. I think that was onthe ARFMA or Egeal Eye Rattery.
She should be fine to hold unlike a dog in heat their will not be a mess. lol but if you want to wiat and leave her run her short heat you can.
Diamond
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:16 AM
RAT ADDICT

When a sister and brother mate,this is called INBREEDING.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah, Linebreeding is for "milder" inbreeding. I think it starts at 1st cousins.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

you can also breed son back to mom and dad with daughter and its called line breeding but again a touchy subject. Cousints is more so what I have read that most breeders do.
But rats mice and even cats and dogs left together unfixed can produce lots and babies and some of them will more less be unwanted or foudn in shelters or strays, well cats and dogs I never seen a stray rat but have seen them in the last year here a few ending up in shelters.
But yes linebreeding is Inbreeding becuase you are taking relations and breeding.
Diamond
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

girly rats go into heat usually later at night...which is when the wild rats would've been active.

Louna may be an obvious girl in heat, others are very very quiet and you only know by their "hoohoo" being open and sometimes purplish or bluish from blood flow.

As for older rats, since you cannot tell when a rat goes into menopause its always best to keep intact males from intact females of any age. The older they are the more likely the pregnancy could kill them. Or they might reabsorb the litter but do it incorrectly and die of sepsis.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 07:40 PM

I'm never up that late with my rats. I doubt I'll ever notice it, but I'm sure it is funny to watch!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

the ear buzzing is so funny and cute! but she seems to be kind of freaking out about feeling like that, like she doesn't really know what to do with herself and she's a bit hyperactive.

Tags
rat in heat