Halfies - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh my goodness!!! Glad hubby has such quick reflexes and didnt have more damage then what he did. I am glad the lady is coming to take them to her place tomorrow, I just dont have the means or knowledge to house these guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzysangel View Post
Oh my goodness!!! Glad hubby has such quick reflexes and didnt have more damage then what he did. I am glad the lady is coming to take them to her place tomorrow, I just dont have the means or knowledge to house these guys.
Is she taking the boy now too?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:58 AM
Adolescent Pup

This might sound ignorant, but I get that a halfie is half wild and half domesticated....but my question is...How does that happen? How does a halfie get into a pet store or anyones hands at all? I'm so confused :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 AM
Adolescent Pup

I was kind of wondering the same thing, Pseudo. Never heard the term halfie, or even knew that anyone bred/raised them as it doesn't sound like there'd be any good reason to do so. Why not just release them instead of raising them, also? They can't survive?

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Halfies happed to me about the same way as when people cross dogs with wolves or coyotes.....to mostly say they have. But there are also times a wild male rat can sneak into your house if one happens to smell your females. As for these guys the lady I rescued them from was breeding this stupidly on purpose. She found 2 halfies and stuck them in a cage together to breed rapidly and to make money. She told me it makes the rats healthier, but thats not true. Most wild rats live a year at best. As to letting them go, I would say no, because now they have human dependency.

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Unless a halfie has a wild mom and is brought up and taught everything on how to be a wild rat, it would be a death sentence to release them. They would be killed by predators, real wild rats whose territory they are in, starve to death not knowing how to find food and water, and die from the elements.

It's always a domestic mom that escapes and gets bred by a wild male. She goes back home, or is re-captured, and 3 weeks later a whole pile of little agouti bubs are born. Surprise!

My first time I had NO clue they were halfies...I was helping out a woman in a different city online, with her domestic rat living in her backyard (someone dumped Rennie). Finally she caught her, I sent money to have her taken to the vets to have bot fly larvae removed, and a week later she gave birth to 8 little babies. Rennie was agouti hooded so agouti babies didn't surprise me.

But Bev never socialized them and when a rescue friend picked them up in Ottawa and took them home to foster until they could come to me...this is what she had.

They can jump like deer, startle easily, and that often means a bite if you aren't careful, can bite through leather gloves, are unhappy being caged but unless you socialize them heavilly and work around their issues they may never have a regular Out time like our domestics. They will break your heart as a lot of vets won't treat them, and they can have just as many issues as domestics.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thank you for giving a much better explanation then I did LOL

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Thank you for giving a much better explanation then I did LOL
No worries I have been through this several times. Talking to people online who are rehoming babies but put a comment in their ad that made me suspicious. "My girl got out in my old house, and i cuaght her a week later, then she had all these babies...they will make wonderful pets"

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Those poor unsuspecting people

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Those poor unsuspecting people
exactly! And even most rescuers cannot deal with halfies...I do better than most.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah I agree, I know hubby or I couldnt handle them. And yes, the lady is going take the male to. We can raise domestics bUT not halfies.

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I have 9 halfies still at home right now, 2 I raised from birth myself (these boys are huge and 1 is relatively good with me, and the other is a doll), and the other 7 were born at a unsuspecting fosters and she didn't have the ability to deal with a a litter so they weren't socialized. Their mom was a very nervous, nippy thing, and they followed in her footsteps, and even now I only have 2-3 of the 7 girls who can be picked up at the age of 14 months. Unfortunately the others will bite and they are very difficult to tell apart LOL

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I can imagine, a bunch of all agouti its like playing Russian roulette LOL

Tags
half wild, rats