Harness for my rat. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Harness for my rat.

Hey everyone I am looking into a harness for my rats and I was wondering if anyone know of anyone that makes them or anything like that.
I found 2 on goosemoose pet portal thing
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/...opic,4045574.0
And
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/...opic,4021597.0
( I like the first one better )
I've emailed both of the people but neither of them have gotten back so I'm starting to give up hope on them and I was wondering if you any of you good people know of anything.
So ya any help would be great.
Love ya all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I have been thinking about getting my girls a harness too!
I don't know of anyone who makes homemade ones, but I have found this one that I have been looking into...
http://www.petdiscounters.com/c7/c5/...all-p4243.html
or
http://www.petdiscounters.com/c7/c5/...ash-p7634.html

With shipping they are probably about $10! I really like the first one though Here's a tip, I would let them get used to the harness in the house first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
I have been thinking about getting my girls a harness too!
I don't know of anyone who makes homemade ones, but I have found this one that I have been looking into...
http://www.petdiscounters.com/c7/c5/...all-p4243.html
or
http://www.petdiscounters.com/c7/c5/...ash-p7634.html

With shipping they are probably about $10! I really like the first one though Here's a tip, I would let them get used to the harness in the house first.

I have one just like those and while they be made for rats there not good for them, they can slip right out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:43 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Really?
Oh my, thanks. thats. good. to. know!

Maybe you could try to make your own?
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/...88.msg4460006/,

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Rat-Harness

Good Luck!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Last edited by CrWoodyspets; 02-21-2010 at 01:49 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:19 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I have used a ferrte harness but its the pull string kind were its more like 2 loops you can adjust which works for me with them better. I cant remeber what they are called I could take a pic on some time later on today and post what it looks like and maybe you will all know what type it is. I got them for free and can only find the one I think the other is at my parents some were.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:04 AM
I am allergic to maths

Are harnesses for rats safe? The only small animals I think they are approiate for are rabbits and ferrets. I have seen them markated for hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, mice and rats but I researched them, alot of people said that animals like this are to fragile. I like the idea of walking my rodents but I put their safety first. Plus, they wont like it, they like being free. Im not sure if they are safe for rats but I wouldnt risk it, why pay money for something your pet wont like and may put it in danger?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:06 AM
Official Loofah Tester

I've heard of other people walking their rats. I suspect common sense comes into play, and knowing your rat's personality.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I have two harnesses. I bought one and one was given to me. They are different types. Out of the 9 rats I've had, I haven't been able to get any of them to wear either one. They HATE it when I put it on and get visibly upset, usually squirming their way out of it. Even my calmer rats would not put up with it. It's cool to see the rats that do wear them well but I haven't had any luck with mine.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

mine dont seem to mind them. If I go to a freinds house or something they stay on my shouler and walking around my parents and here even out side they are relaxed but like if I go some were more crowded like when I hold the animals edjucation at the local fair if I go away from the cage they go on a harness.
This is a small down and most towns have leash laws as for rats I dont think they do but I always try to keep all pets out on a leash/harness that way they are safe and no one can yell. Although I hate when I see people walking their dogs down the street with no leash and we are walking our dogs on a leach and they come up to my dogs. Freindly or not I have no clue what they are going to do.
Rats ushally stay by you and you can train them to stay with you. But some people are better safe then sorry and would rather be on the safe side. My ferrets hate harnesses and they have been trained since young when I got them. the rats are more like on mom put it on so will just go with it. but every ones pets are dirrent.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:19 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

To the OP-I speak to the person that made the first thread quite often. If you are interested I can contact her and let her know that you are interested.
The person that made the second thread doesn't post anymore.

IMO making harnesses to walk your rat outdoors isn't a good idea. I am so afraid of something happening to the babies, like them getting hurt or even a hawk swooping out of the sky! I just don't like the idea of rats outdoors. If you are really interested I can contact her though.

*Missy*
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i used to take mine out side but with out a harness, i say 1 rat per person taking them out, so that 1 rat has your full attention. They aren't that fast.

But you have to be careful of any predators such as hawks, cats, dogs, people... that could harm your ratties.

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
To the OP-I speak to the person that made the first thread quite often. If you are interested I can contact her and let her know that you are interested.
The person that made the second thread doesn't post anymore.

IMO making harnesses to walk your rat outdoors isn't a good idea. I am so afraid of something happening to the babies, like them getting hurt or even a hawk swooping out of the sky! I just don't like the idea of rats outdoors. If you are really interested I can contact her though.
That would be great, I sent her an email but got nothing back. But ya I am interested and I would be very thankful for you to do that.
Thanks.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

To everyone that says its dangerous or not a good idea::
Yes it can be dangerous if your not careful and don't use common sense, walking a rat isn't like walking a dog. You can't pull on them like you can a dog and you cant lead them like you can a dog. You have to let them lead you and you just have to pay close attention. The odds of a hawk swooping out of the sky are very low because the hawk would be scared of you and with other animals like cats and dogs you just have to keep an eye on them, I mean in the long its you choice weather you want to do this with you rat or not but if you use common sense and keep an eye on them they it is more they not going to be ok.
Also no not all rats are gunna like it. Some will and some wont but that's for you and your rat to deiced. It'll take them a little to get used to but if it looks like their not going to get used to it them its your choice to not use it anymore.

So ya. Had to get that out.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

For me, I would worry your rat may catch something. Your rat isn't vaccinated. There are probably wild rats/rodents that pass anywhere you'll take your rat and it may get a disease.
it would be unfortunate for your rat to catch something!
unless that's not possible, then someone please correct me
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

That's a good point. I'll have to ask the vet next time I go.

Tags
harness, rat