HATE petstores that sell mice too young - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Angry HATE petstores that sell mice too young

I've always bought my mice form petstores, usually because I can't bear the idea of what that mouse's life will be like otherwise. What absolutely disgusts me though, is when they sell mice too young. I usually try to buy adults, or adoloescents for that reason. One day, however, I wanted to add a couple of females to my home, and all the older females were pregnant, because they weren't separated from the males (which means major inbreeding) I had been waiting forever to get a few more, always checking in at my local petstore (I don't know WHY, but I always get feeders, I always feel bad for them). I hadn't been there in about 3 weeks though, and SUDDELY they had about 4 litters, all in one cage. I SPECIFICALLY asked the girl working there if she was SURE they were old enough, and she SWORE they were and that they were just a little small because of the large litters. THEN I specifically asked her to check and MAKE SURE the ones I'd chosen WERE infact female, as I hadn't handled them and couldn't tell, seeing as i hadn't had babies in a WHILE. She said they WERE, so I took them home, even though one of them looked to be about 2 weeks to be exact. I hoped for the best, but sadly button did NOT make it past a week. I don't CARE if they're running a business. I firmly believe that baby mice should be with their mothers for at LEAST 4 weeks, and I'd keep the girls with mom for as long as possible. ARE there laws for basically ripping pups away from their mothers too young? Isn't that neglect? I mean, EVERY petstore I've been to that sells mice has sold them too young. Why isn't this being corrected? I DO have to say, however that even though my other mosue from that particular petstore WAS sexed wrong, he's WONDERFUL and PERFECTLY healthy. Glossiest coat I've ever seen from a feeder. It's also the same stoer I got my other mice from, and they were all very well socialized. I understand why people buy from breeders, but I always get suckered into getting feeders out of pity, and I really DON'T see a difference in temperment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 08:45 PM
RAT ADDICT

Most pet stores only care about buisness and money.They shouldn't sell animals so young as pets.They should not leave the mother until at least 4 weeks,but I prefer 6 weeks.When I have litters,the young don't leave me until 6 weeks.I am not against feeders,as snakes and other animals need to eat too and in some cases,they need to eat baby animals...but for pets,they honestly should not sell them so young.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

feeder mice are sold as food. pinkies are hairless mice sold to lizards and small snakes..ect due to size. these are feeders they dont care how they sell them bc they are labled as food. Just like crickets. I have always adopted feeder mice and raised them. I have learned that pet stores dont care about how they treat their pets...except petsmart,petco..ect who make an effort not to sell feeder animals.

but honestly,,what are you expecting out of this store??? how can the dealer tell if its a boy or girl unless they care? one way you could have found out was to compare two different looking genitals on the babies. However, they arent expecting this to be a pet so they dont care if the animal lives or dies or if you get the wrong sex...they are feeder after all.

I buy feeder mice bc it breaks my heart to see these animals living out their lives in cramped disgustiing roooms...sometimes in a closed box with no visible light---waiting for death and treated as if they were already dead. But as much as I try to save the feeder mice I cant save them all and I cant make these people feel the same way I do.

I do save as many feeders as possible...however i take in micee that are sometimes 4 to 6days old and i dont mind it one bit. I have adopted baby rats that were 2 days old and have raised them all by myself. Either way, whether I buy the animal at that age or not its food..so at least i have a chance to save it first. If you know what you are doing then why not adopt so young? Mothers milk is the best and formula barely cuts it...however people do the exact same thing...decide not to breast feed and go to formula...so i dont see the difference. My babies grow up to be very sweet and very tame and the lifespan and intelligence show no difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Angry

"but honestly,,what are you expecting out of this store??? how can the dealer tell if its a boy or girl unless they care? one way you could have found out was to compare two different looking genitals on the babies. However, they arent expecting this to be a pet so they dont care if the animal lives or dies or if you get the wrong sex...they are feeder after all."

WTF????

Well actually, the store presents them as pet mice. Yet, they treat them with the same horrible neglect as any other feeder. And it's of MY OPINION, that if a petstore KNOWS they're selling mice to someone as PETS, then they shouldn't be selling them mice that are too young and sick!!! I EXPECT them to have some HUMANITY and not pass off sickly animals as pets! MAYBE I'm expecting too much, but I HIGHLY doubt it. I believe in backing up your products. If the mice aren't good enough as pets, WHY should they be good enough to be sold as pet food? I don't CARE if they're going to be used as food. That's absolutely NO reason to mistreat them. ALSO, if a person working at a petstore DOESN'T know how to sex an animal, then they SHOULDN'T sell it as a pet!!!! Most of the mice aren't even feeders. I've bought a glossy coated mouse from there, in the same cage as the baby feeder that died. If you KNOW that the mosue is going to be a pet, then you shouldn't sell it too young!!!!!

I EXPECT some FuDGING class!!!!!!!! That's what I expect!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 07:45 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

"wtf"- i dont appreciate that comment...this is my opinion...if you dont like it fine. But keep the f-word out of it please.

second, ummmm all the pet stores that I have been to, the mice ARE sold for as food.....LABLED-FEEDERS. Im not trying to be rude....but this is MY OPINION....petsmart has pet mice. on the other hand..and sometimes the people dont know how to sex them there either...human error and not enough experience or maybe pasion...however, since you have owned mice before...why didnt you confirm the sex?

either way, the pet stores i see have 40 mice jammed in a ten gallon tank...sorry not all pet stores are as nice to have mice labled as pets...here where i live people dont generally consider them as pets and laugh at the idea...no matter how much arguing i do with these people it doesnt fly with their ignorance...not all people can be as compassionate about animals as you or i

dont expect too much out of people...bc to them the business is business...and im sure the people working there got the just for the heck of it...not like it s their dream job so they probably dont care...dont you see how many animals are often neglected in many pet stores??? even pets like lizards are often dying of hunger...open your eyes..

i expect class to however...how many people are that educated in what they are dealing in a petstore? from what i have seen- not many.

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Last edited by Skratikans; 11-08-2006 at 07:47 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

I've NEVER seen mice labeled as feeders. even when I ask, they'll still say they're pet mice (and they usually were at one point). As for why I didn't check- I've already SAID it, but I'll say it again. I haven't HAD any baby mice in a long time. I've NEVER bred mice, as mine have all been sold from petstores. I always try to buy adolescents or adults. Plus they were still so young that I really couldn't tell. I did look, I just took the girl's word for it since she SEEMED to know what she was talking about.

And once again, I don't CARE if it's just a business or job to them. I treat my animals as if they were my children. If I worked at a petstore, I wouldn't sell pets under false pretences. People don't just sell babies to anyone when they're going to die (not legally, at least), why should they do so with pets?

And your opinion is more than welcome, I WAS rude and I apologise.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

even thought you haven t had baby mice in a long time...nipples are a dead give away to a female...also compare the two babies...that is the best way to tell sex...even if you have or havent had baby mice but have some knowledge of them in general..i have had the same exact thing happen to me and i dont trust their word anymore

i used to go to a petstore to get baby mice from a breeder...and you know what she sold many of them as feeder rats and mice!!!!! she would always be sad that some person would take 8 or so rats at a time to feed to their snakes...yet she let them! so
that blows my mind away on how easily she could throw away her so called "babies"- that really disillusions me

im sorry if i misunderstood you...i am in no way saying that their nasty behavior is ok...it just kinda hurt me to hear the wtf about my comment...but i was just trying to explain the mentality of most pet stores...i agree with you 100% that pet mice whether they like it or not should be treated like any other pet like a dog or cat...but their just arent many people that have that compassion and it is sad that they treat them like this

believe me it royally angers me to see it and it hurts even more to see mothers with multiple tumors have litters and babies being picked up like a piece of garbage thats why i even started to adopt mice in the first place..im so compassionate for animals and i know it doesnt really show it when i try to explain a pet stores pt of view...its sad bc in sc 90% of the mice i see are labled as feeders and the funny thing is that when you tell them you are buying the mouse as a pet the price goes from 50cents to four dollars...its sad.

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:33 PM

If you don't like what petstores do, then why support them by buying their product? You make think you are helping, but your not. Temporarily maybe, but not in the long run.

The only way for things to change, is if noone buys from petstores that sell animals.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:04 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10
If you don't like what petstores do, then why support them by buying their product? You make think you are helping, but your not. Temporarily maybe, but not in the long run.

The only way for things to change, is if noone buys from petstores that sell animals.
Exactly!

The more people buy from pet stores,the more they will STAY in buisness.Buying ANYTHING from a pet store is supporting them.Even when you "rescue" a feeder,you ARE supporting the store,therefore they will continue to sell feeders and everything else.

I have bought feeder rats and mice from stores before for pets,but I don't call it a rescue.It is in some way a rescue,because you are making it a pet and not food...but still,it cannot be labeled a rescue,when they will continue to sell feeders.You know what I mean?

I am not against feeder animals for any reason.But live feeding is not safe for both the snake and the rat.I am all for frozen/thaw feeding.Snakes eat live food in the wild,but thats because they need to survive.In OUR care,it is safer to feed F/T.

This thread is not about feeding snakes tho.

But really...if you want pet stores to stop selling animals for food or anything,then STOP SUPPORTING THEM.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

I know, but at the same time...boycotting just means that animals aren't getting sold. They'll still be bred, and then the stores will be even more overcrowded. I don't think that boycotting solves the problem. We need stronger regulations when it comes to pet stores.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble_b18
I know, but at the same time...boycotting just means that animals aren't getting sold. They'll still be bred, and then the stores will be even more overcrowded. I don't think that boycotting solves the problem. We need stronger regulations when it comes to pet stores.

If there is no need for animals, they won't keep getting more. That just takes up more space and more money. I used to work at Petsmart . We didn't order more just because the ones already there weren't getting sold. If there wasn't a demand, they didn't order. Ordering more means spending more money on animals that arn't getting sold. Thats not very good/smart business.

Im not saying that its that way for all stores, just the ones in my area.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i dont mind pet stores like petsmart..they make it their business to find homes for rescues like cats and dogs and they dont sell feeder mice you have to sign a contract that claims you are not...also the prices for mice are meant to discourage buying them to harm them...we need pet stores for their supplies, food and other useful services that are being provided

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

I agree...Petsmart DOES seem to have it together. But then again, they work hand in hand with the local SPCA or Humane Society, don't they? Maybe more petstores should do that.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10
If there is no need for animals, they won't keep getting more. That just takes up more space and more money. I used to work at Petsmart . We didn't order more just because the ones already there weren't getting sold. If there wasn't a demand, they didn't order. Ordering more means spending more money on animals that arn't getting sold. Thats not very good/smart business.

Im not saying that its that way for all stores, just the ones in my area.
I think she means stores that breed them on site. We have a store in town that doesn't separate the males from the females, and just let them breed, if they stopped selling mice as much I really doubt they'd do anything to keep them from breeding.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

yes, that's exactly what I meant. The ONLY petstores in my area (within HOURS distance) that separate males from females for any rodents are Petsmart and Pet Value. They're also the only petstores that buy from breeders. All the others just let their animals interbreed with each other, which is how they keep them in stock. If no-one buys them, they'll just overcrowd the cages/tanks they're in.

Tags
baby mice, baby rats, humane society, pet food, pet mice, pet store, pet stores