He bit me! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

He bit me!

My newest rat just bit me!
I have never been bitten by a rat like this in all of my years of owning and raising rats! It hurt alot and is bleeding alot.

I cannot handle him at all,he runs away and if I talk to him,he freezes.If I attempt to let him sniff me or I try to pet him,he runs away.I tried to pick him up once and he jumped from my hands.

He is scared to death.And in all my experiance,I don't think I ever had a rat that was this bad.And I certainly didn't have a rat bite me this hard.I do know it takes some rats some time to get used to their surroundings and everything,but he is a baby...he should be more open to taming then an adult!

I am under alot of stress lately for something totally unrelated,but this is adding to my stress.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

aww, don't worry!
Try the bathtub method put on a shirt you don't like, wear it all day and leave it in his cage so he can get used to your smell! then take him with you in the tub, and give him treats! perhaps put something in the tub with you from his cage so he can feel safe.
He'll get used to you!
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:42 PM

Aw calm down sweetness, I know how you feel. I've gotten a bite like that and it's no fun.

Dustette has a very good idea - put an old shirt or two in his cage that smells like you, so he'll get used to your scent.

Will he take treats from you? If he will, start trying that. I'd suggest using a spoon with some baby food or avacado on it - something he can eat without running away with it. Talk softly to him while you do it. If he's scared of the spoon, get a small bowl or something, and put the yum-yums in the bowl. After maybe two or three days (long enough to get him addicted), try the spoon thing again.

Good luck and don't get discouraged!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I agree with Dustette--don't worry too much. I'm sure he will come around, though it might just take him a little longer than normal. Try to spend as much time near the cage as you can, talking to him and letting him get used to your sound and smell. Give him different types of food to see which ones he likes best, and then try coaxing him out with that. Also, just try to hold your hand very still in the cage for several minutes at a time without trying to touch or hold him. Hopefully he won't bite, and maybe just sniff or even just ignore you for a while, but then eventually he should get more used to you.

Where did he come from? If he was from a pet store, it might just take a little longer...I had a rat like that a long time ago (got him out of the feeder bin!), but eventually he was really sweet and very loving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

No,he will not take treats from me.
He is eating his food,but won't touch any treats.
I tried granola,tiny bit of cheese and apple and he ignored it all...had to remove the cheese and apple because it wasn't touched and going bad.

* Lisa *

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I am trying not to let it bother me,as I know he is atressed in this surrounding right now.This is only his 3rd day here.But because I am stressing out for other reasons,this is really bugging me.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:48 PM

Oh - and also if you're worried about bites but want to pick him up or something, hold your hand out with your knuckles showing the most - your knuckles have less nerves and less skin to break, so it won't bleed or hurt as much.

Since you're feeling stressed right now, I'd go off and do something relaxing. That stress you're feeling will just make him even MORE stressed.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
Where did he come from? If he was from a pet store, it might just take a little longer...I had a rat like that a long time ago (got him out of the feeder bin!), but eventually he was really sweet and very loving.
Yes,unfortunatly he was a pet store rat.The small animal rescue here only had one male rat and he was appending adoption.Clearly my little guy was not handled,because he is afraid of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodieylia View Post
Oh - and also if you're worried about bites but want to pick him up or something, hold your hand out with your knuckles showing the most - your knuckles have less nerves and less skin to break, so it won't bleed or hurt as much.
I am not too worried about biting.It does hurt,but I don't fear him.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodieylia View Post
Since you're feeling stressed right now, I'd go off and do something relaxing. That stress you're feeling will just make him even MORE stressed.
I am leaving him alone for now.
I am also sick with a cold (sore throat,headache...etc) and I cannot relax...I tried already.

Guess I just needed to get it out of my system,since I have never been bitten by a rat like this.I used to do some rat rescue and took in alot of unwanted rats,many who were scared...but none of them bit me and the majority were adults too! So I am just a little suprised,thats all.

Thanks everyone though!

* Lisa *

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:59 PM

It's no problem. I'm sure no one minds.

I'm sure he'll calm down and be cleaning out your ears in no time.

Hope you feel better soon Vanilla. Colds are icky!
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks!
I hope this cold don't last too long too...my daughter got it from school...I didn't catch it.She passed it on to my mom and I caught it from my mom.

Armin is a young rat,so hopefully he comes around soon.
*fingers crossed*

* Lisa *

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

he will! especially that it's only been 3 days!
Hugs to you, i've been fighting a cold for the past 2 weeks. It got better after 10 days, but i still have a stuffy nose, arrrg.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Get better everyone!~ And best wishes for Armin (:

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Oh i have been there with biting rats mine were more adults that were not handeled and peopel got them thought they were mean and they were but only becuase they were feeders adn not socilized. there was a lot of rolling them on their backs witha glove to show them I can take a bite (becuase of the glove) but I was dominet. there was a cople times they got threw the glove.
animals can pick up on your stress if he was an older rat he might try to comfert you but since he is young he is shy. The 1st day I get mine weatehr feeder bit or not I smother them with love that day and cuddleds so they associate me with safety like their cage. basicly you need to bond and imprint with one another. One of my frineds got a rat from me 2 and the one she is really bonded with the other likes to nip her harder but that is becuase he is trying to be dominet and with me he knows not to but I raised him. With her he is testinghis pations he is 4 months old. We have been trying for an hour or 2 a day with only him. She loves him and dont want ot trade him for another that is relaxed aroudn her becuase she has knowen him since birth. But its more like play for him he jsut dont relized that all humends have softer skin then a rat and cant take ruff play.
I do wish you luck with him and I hope he dont have amean streck if he was from the pet store and is siamese then they have been know to be a little mean not shure why but siaemes tend to be meaner then others froma pet store. I have never seen one in the stores aroudn here but have heard from others and the AFRMA have stated that they are not a mean rat but when they are in pet stores they tend to get on the nippy side. So you may have your hand full.
I wish you the best of luck and hope you feel better soon. I hate being sick and that your ratty comes around.
Diamond
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I have had several siamese rats,a few from pet stores and a few rescues.NONE of them had a mean streak.They were such sweeties.
A siamese rat is just the colors/markings and they are no different from a black rat or a blue rat.It all depends on the rat's personality and if you had more mean siamese rats,I am sorry to hear that,but they are all not mean.Armin is young and only been here a few days,I am sure he will be fine soon.

Thanks everyone!

* Lisa *