Help!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
mmc

Help!!!!

Ok i found a baby mouse today in my basement. i left him there for a while because i figured his mom would come and get him but i eventually had to take him because of my cat. he has a full coat of hair but is very small. he shakes alot, and is very slow moving. i tried giving him some regular milk that was warm....he had some but it cant be the same as his mothers milk. does anyone have any advice for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Warmth will be your primary concern. If you have a small aquarium, that will probably work best as a cage for now. You can place a heating pad on low under half of the aquarium, so that if he gets too warm, he can move to the other side.

I don't know how often a mouse will nurse, but goat's milk would probably be the best milk to give him. I wouldn't think more than a few drops at a time would be needed. Make sure to just drop it on his lips and let him lick it off.

You may want to call a wildlife rehabilitator in your area and see if they can offer any advice. He may very well be old enough to eat solids.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
mmc

do you know where i can get goats milk?
thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:07 AM
Lor
Playful Pup

Most grocery stores sell it now as an alternative to cow's milk, just check in the dairy section, or if they don't carry it, ask which stores do or if they can order it in for you specially.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Most have it in the baking section, actually.

Stephanie

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Newborn Pup

I agree that if you have a wildlife rehab in your area, take the baby there. I'd give them baby mouse kitten formula found at most pet stores. It will have more nutrients that the mouse can digest.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

You should find the canned goats milk right next to the evaporated milk in the cans in the baking aisle.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I suggested the goat's milk as that's what I use with my chinchillas, who are also rodents. Cats are carnivores and therefore the milk geared for kittens has more protein. A mouse will primarily stay away from carnivorous food, so they need different nutrition than a cat will.

Stephanie

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Newborn Pup

There is nothing wrong with the goat milk. Protein is good for growth. I feed my mice a high quality dog food with beef being the first ingredent. Along with lab blocks and mealworms, which have good protein. In the wild, mice will eat insects that it can catch.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
mmc

Well guys, thanks for replying. It was sunday night when i was setting up help for him so i couldnt get the goats milk. i grabbed a heatmat and put it on one side of his cage, gave him drops of warm milk(cows, which was all we had). Unfortunately when i got up in the morning he had died. so thanks anyways.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Newborn Pup

Sorry to hear that. You tried your best, the baby was just too young.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 10:52 AM
Newborn Pup

Usually if a mouse or rat (wild) is shaking and slow moving, it has been into mouse/rat posion, or got it through the mothers milk. The posion attacks the nervous system.That is probably why the mother was missing, she probably died.

Tags
dog food, heating pad, high quality dog food, lab block, lab blocks, pet store, pet stores, quality dog food