Help. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Help.

I need some advice.

A week ago, I had my beautiful black and white hooded rat 'Diablo The Razor Blade' put down due to a brain tumour. She was only 7 months old. It took a lot of guts to do this as I have never put an animal down before, I watched my late 'Spike' carry a tumour her the size of her body around with her until she died because there was nothing that could be done about it, I didn't want to watch Diablo die in pain. Problem is, she was one of a pair. Had spent her entire life with her sister 'Necro', who is too a beautiful rat. Necro is now not as active as she was, she is only 7 months old and acts like a little old lady since her sister died. She is never active, spends all her time sleeping in her dark corner. Even at night she isn't active, I've had her checked and she is as fit as a fiddle apart from some allergy sniffles which have calmed down since I changed the brand of her bedding. I give her all the attention I can and spends at least 4 hours a day running around outside her cage.

My guess is that she is lonely. I don't know if it would be a good idea to get her a new friend or not. This is what I would like some advice on. I've never introduced older rats to one another before.

I can't bare to see her like this any longer.

Any advice would be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

I think it's a good idea to get her a friend. I don't have experience with rats, but I've seen what just a month of lonelyness can do in a gerbil's mood (gerbils are social animals too). Rats are even more intelligent than gerbils, and need even more estimulation from the environment. No matter how much you play with her, you can't replace a friend from her own species. You can't groom her, sleep with her or be 24 hours with her. From what I've heard, introducing rats is pretty easy, as long as you do so in a neutral environment and clean the cage (and accesories) really really well, to eliminate the smell of your rat (making the cage feel like a new territory for both rats). Of course, don't take my word completely, since I can't speak from experience. There are some other rat owners here that will be able to tell you exactly how to do it, but I'm sure that they'll agree with me that it's the best thing to get her a friend. Good luck!

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 08:06 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

I agree, I think a friend would surely boost her spirits. And with her being a little older, she may even act as a mother to a littler rat, and that would give her a good feeling and a purpose, I think. Also, I don't know much about this sort of thing, but I do know there are rat rescue shelters, etc. that probably have older rats that old owners had abandoned for one reason or another, and maybe you could try and find another seven monther or so!
I hope I could help, and I am very sorry for your loss. You are a concerned mother, and I wish you the best of luck doing whatever you decide!

-Tare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

First off I am very sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to make that decision. It definately sounds like your rat is deppressed. She really needs a friend. I would suggest taking in a rescue, or if you choose to get a baby, I would suggest getting two, possbly litter mates. As your rat is 7 months, (not to be deppressing) you don't want to have this same problem in let's say two years. If you need help finding a rescue or a reputable breeder, let me know. What area are you in?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 01:09 AM
Playful Pup

I don't have rats but have an older mouse who had a new friend introduced a week or so ago and the new one is younger and after a couple of days they now get along fine

Rene

Mom of two daughters.
Pets: Sweetheart and Sally the mice and 4 baby mice, Jack the dog, Buttercup and Shadow the cats and Rocky the horse.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Playful Pup

it is highly advisable to get her a new friend, as in what SugarLoveRats said, possibly 2 (but only if you have room for 2 more). If you have a hard time finding a rescue, check your local shelter> You'd be surprised how many pet rats who people tire of ditch in the shelters.

My regards to your loss.

~Jennifer & The
Ratties de Shika

-------------------------------------------------------------------
www.freewebs.com/shikasrattierescue/
www.ipolity.com
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Sorry for your loss.. Its always tough, when you have to make that kind of decision.. I think it is a good idea to get another, good luck ..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

Tags
litter mates, local shelter, pet rats, reputable breeder, social animals