Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Help!

My rat has been ill for a while with a chest infection and was on medication, which I stopped but started again. She has been very floppy these past days and today I noticed blood coming out of her genital's, I had noticed a sort of scab over it a few days before but thought it was nothing, does anyone know what to do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vixen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Zoo!!!

Polo, Pepper, Solo, Bullet, Trigger, Bandit and Gem

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
(Chickens) Persephone, Penny, Pandora and Pansy
Giant Afircan land snails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 03:31 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

take it to the vet

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

More details needed.

What type of chest infection? URI? (upper respiratory infection...rats get them often). What meds? I take it you got them from a vet? How long was she on them, and when did you stop and start? How long after you stopped did the symptoms start? 2-3 days after?
Blood from the vagina can be serious. Blood from the urethra (in the urine) could be a UTI and is very treatable.

How old is your rat, does she have any other symptoms? Porphyrin around the eyes/nose, puffed up fur, lethargy, not eating or drinking properly, etc?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'm not sure what chest infection, he just gave it to me, it wasn't very helpful he said it was a bit like phumonia. They are on baytril 2.5ml a day. She had it for a week and I stopped for 4 days then noticed her symptoms coming back so I started it again, I don't think it was the medicine because I noticed the bleeding just after I had given it to her. She has puffed up fur and lethargy, she's not as active as she usually is, I'm not sure about her eating or drinking but she seems reluctant to a bit of buiscuit I gave her.

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Still need age.

It sounds like myco, and myco can be respiratory and genital as well. Baytril twice daily for 2-3 weeks is a normal course of meds. One week just tamps down the symptoms (like a fire that seems out but is still smoldering underneath), and then they flare back up when you stop the meds prematurely. How bad is her breathing? If she was really improving on the baytril you need to continue it (get more from your vet) to give her 2-3 more weeks on it. If she doesn't improve you may need to add another drug to the baytril like doxycycline.

Is she bleeding a lot?

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

OK I am off to my vet to pick up Zithromax for my rat kids. Hopefully others can help you out.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty

Tags
respiratory infection, upper respiratory infection