Help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Help

I have two pet rats, they have been in the same cage for a year now. There both sisters && love eachother to death. They always cuddle and clean eachother. One of them has a tumor && the other one is making this really weard sound;; at first I thought it was nothing (Like it was sneezing alot or starting to catch a cold etc..) but then today is the third day && it has not stopped. it's making like a ginny pig sound and its getting worse.. I don't have the money to take her to the vet.. can someone PLEASE help me asap!!! Because she is like my daughter (I know it sounds weird, but idk what I would do if I lost one of them) give me advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well, you may have seen this slogan on some of the forum members' signatures and it says, "If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet" and it is not meant to point fingers, but you have got to get your little girl to the vet somehow, as she is in trouble. Those guinea pig sounds are almost definitely wheezing and breathing problems. Rats are very susceptible to respiratory problems.

She needs medical attention right away, as well as her sister. When our boy rats needed vet care, we just put the bill on one of our credit cards and worried about it later. And we all DO understand that your girl rats are like your daughters...not silly in the least...we ALL love our rats like they are our children, believe me. Please try to find a way to get your girls to a good small animal vet right away! Keep in touch and let us know how it goes?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yes, Vlad is absolutely right. There isn't much that can be done except to take them to the vet. One will need medication asap for a respiratory infection and the other might need surgery on her tumor. You will need to find a vet in your area that will see rats, and get them there right away.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Call your vet and try to arrange a payment plan. Also look into Care Credit. Either way, they need to see a vet right asap. Rodents can go downhill very quickly.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 07:16 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

There is no at-home treatment for a respiratory infection and your rat could worsen and die without treatment

AS for the tumour, its likely not life-threatening and removal is only an option but not necessary.

Is she stil making those noises? Can you lift your girl up and put her side (lung) to your ear and listen for any noises? Do both sides and tell us what you are hearing?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Part of the Pack

hey playboy, i'm curious to know what happened, did you take your rats to the vet? are they ok? it's been about a month, did you follow up at all?

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Newborn Pup

Wow, posted once then disappeared before or after all the responses??

Lol
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Part of the Pack

yeah, i wonder if its because they didn't gt the response they wanted...

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That's probably exactly what happened. Some people come on the forum, ask for help, and when they are told something they do not want to hear, they leave.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Newborn Pup

I feel so bad for the pets of people that know how to ask for help and get it, but simply don't.... Animal Cops is a great show, but it does show that abuse and neglect is a lot more rampant than we realize.

I love the show, because the good-tempered rescued animals are nursed back to health then adopted to a loving family at the end. =)

Hope this worried person did get to the vet, and was just so happy to get vet help they never made their way back to the forum. LOL
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Part of the Pack

have you ever seen rescue ink? i love that show, i especially love the episode where they shame a pit bull owner into caring for his pet. The dog actually ends up staying with the guy and happy. i like that show a lot better because thee guys are volunteers and just scary dudes.