Help!!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Help!!!!!

My rat is only like 3 months old and I just noticed a lump on her neck. It is about the size of a pea. I have no idea what this is can somebody tell me and give me some more information.

Last edited by hunter292282; 03-21-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

and at the at the part were the lump is connected to the body its easy to move around. Then it gets stiff

Last edited by hunter292282; 03-21-2011 at 03:31 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I'm sure you already guessed this, but it could very well be a tumor. Do you have a local small animal vet that you can take her to? It really should get looked at.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yes, like Vlad said, you'll need to take her in to see a vet. Be sure it is someone with experience treating rats. Tumors in female rats are fairly common, and depending on the type of tumor, surgery often successfully removes the tumor and prolongs the rat's life. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well is there any chance that it could go away by it self? Cause my parents do not have the money to get it surgically removed about how much do you think it would be? Then again how long does she have to live if we don't get it removed
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

If it is, indeed, a tumor, it will not go away on its own. Does it seem to be growing bigger? Does it seem to hurt her? If you could get a picture of it, we might be able to figure out what it is...

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well I just took a look at it and it doesn't realy seem to be bigger but it seems to have a scab onvitand looks like it's leeking fluids does that sound like a tumor?I do not think I'll be able to get a pic though she is very squirmy.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

If it is leaking fluid, then it might be a cyst or a puncture wound of some kind. Either way, you need to get her to the vet, because she'll at the very least need some antibiotics to prevent an infection, which could make it much worse. Antibiotics and a vet visit will not be too expensive, and certainly cheaper than a tumor removal. Please call your local vet and see if they take rats as patients. You can call around to the clinics in your area to get price quotes for the checkup as well as antibiotics.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well I just took a look at it and it doesn't realy seem to be bigger but it seems to have a scab onvitand looks like it's leeking fluids does that sound like a tumor?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Could you give a price range
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

It is too hard to estimate a price range for different medical problems unless you call and talk to the vet or medical assistant at a local small animal vet to get a price range. As Breyer said, look for a local vet who is knowledgeable about small animals/rodents and has treated them before. Don't just take her to a regular dog and cat place as they will not be reliable to know what they are doing when it comes to rodents. Your girl is probably not having a good time and she needs to see a vet as soon as possible. You do not want her to be suffering. Not trying to lecture or anything but the saying goes, "If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet." Peace.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

clean the wound everyday with some warm water, and watch it.
getting your rat to the vet is the wisest option, but please take good care of her and keep the wound clean, if you do so and it is only a cyst it might heal without getting infected. Watch it evolve, if it gets bigger or stays red and ugly or with pus, get her to the vet ASAP, that's your only option anyway, no matter the price.

Tags
rats