help with aftercare? and wish oscar luck - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

help with aftercare? and wish oscar luck

after work i let my rats out like usual, but oscar got his head stuck in one of those food stagre containers you can pour out of and once i'd helped him get his head out he moved away for a second, then looked back and his eye was POPPING OUT, like right out of his skull. i had to call the emergency vet at 2.30am and he said his eye needs removing.

so everyone wish oscar luck for his op tomorrow.
it's such invonvenient timing as well, i'm supposed to get my giant african landsnails tomorrow. but that's why we love rats i guess, they make everything difficult but we love them for it.

my second thing is that i know a good few of you are really experienced with rats. do i need to do anythign special for aftercare? or would it be the usual hospital cage, whatever the vet says and loads of TLC? would he have trouble adjusting to only having one eye? do i need to rearrange my cage to make it easier for him to judge things because he won't have depth perception? i just don't really know what to do now, one of my babies is in trouble!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh no! I don't have any experience with eye removal in rats, but I hope everything goes well. Best of luck to you and Oscar.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thankyou. he seems a little more chilled now that it's gone and he's away from all those hormonal women and closer to treats. he gave me that "but you gotta make sure i'm eating" look which i willingly fell for

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 02:54 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh my, Good luck. Please keep us updated

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

i thought he'd pulled out his stitces today, but it turns out they don't use subcutaneous (sp?) stitches on rats aparently and there was just a bit of discharge. he's got a follow up appointment on saturday, so i'll let you guys know how it goes.

he's nowhere near as cute anymore, but he's my little soldier, even if he's a bit of a wally

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim

Tags
aftercare