Help on deciding on this cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Help on deciding on this cage

Well, I just got a new rat yesterday after Rocky, my male fancy of 5 years died. She is fine in her cage which attaches on top of a 10 gallon tank for now. We got a bird cage that was never used from my aunt, it's around a year old, and maybe 3 1/2 feet tall by 2 1/2 sq feet. It's a very nice cage. The only thing I need help with is deciding if I could use it. There is a grate at the bottom which is removeable, and if I removed that and put wood there or just put the bedding on top of the bottom, would that work?

The first idea would save me a lot of money on bedding, but I just want what's best for my rat. I was planning on getting a second male. I am pretty sure I'm going to use it, I just want some more opinions. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Hello Earthling

Are you planning on breeding? You said she or is that justs a typo?

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Kind of hard to explain... I guess I have to plan on it if I were to get a male.. I want a male because they seem to get along better with females. I guess if it happens it happens, and I'll do what I have to in order to keep them healthy. If you have any good instructions on taking care of pregnant rats and pinkies then that would be awesome

Proud owner of 4 pets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=Buddy - American Shorthair=
=Chloe - Brown Mackerel=
=Gotto - Burmese Longhair=

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=Callie - Belgian Malinois=

=Star - Hooded Black=

¤RIP Rocky¤
¤RIP Biscuit¤
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Hello Earthling

Well i don't have any rats, but if I were you I would stay with same sex in less you have the time, money and homes for all the babies.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

See that's the thing, I've heard that 2 females don't get along as well as a male and a female. I would probably have enough money and housing, because one of my friend wants a rat. I would probably wait until I was sure I had everything ready, or enough money to get things ready before I got my male. The cage I was talking about in another post is big enough to hold around 3 rats, and then I could hold the pinkies in a 10-20 gallon tank with a hermit crab heater most likely. I still have a ton of research to do though.

Proud owner of 4 pets

=Chloe - Brown Mackerel=

=Star - Hooded Black=

¤RIP Rocky¤
¤RIP Biscuit¤
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Rodentologist

That's not true at all. I have 6 groups of females living at my house right now. Males are actually harder to introduce than females, in my experience, since they sometimes have hormone related aggression/territoriality problems.

If you want a male and a female, then neuter the male, but don't let the female breed over and over again. There are tons of homeless rats (especially in your state) and it will kill her to be pregnant over and over and over again. It's not healthy for them!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks very much for all the info. I will truly consider that. I have heard of people with your situations, whilst I have also heard of people with the opposite, which is why it makes it so hard. I think I will go for another female first. Thank you again!

Proud owner of 4 pets

=Chloe - Brown Mackerel=

=Star - Hooded Black=

¤RIP Rocky¤
¤RIP Biscuit¤
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Part of the Pack

I just want to make sure you realize, that if you put a male and female together, you will have LOTS of continuous babies. Rats mate often, and the female can get pregnant again within 24 hours of having a litter. Plus they have anywhere from 6 to 12 or more babies in each litter. And babies are sexually mature at 5 weeks. Also the female is only pregnant for 25 days. So if you're not very careful about keeping the sexes separate, you will have alot of rats on your hands. Also, I just have to add that keeping ANY rats in a space as small as a 20 gallon tank is cruelty.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by geegeorge View Post
I just want to make sure you realize, that if you put a male and female together, you will have LOTS of continuous babies. Rats mate often, and the female can get pregnant again within 24 hours of having a litter. Plus they have anywhere from 6 to 12 or more babies in each litter. And babies are sexually mature at 5 weeks. Also the female is only pregnant for 25 days. So if you're not very careful about keeping the sexes separate, you will have alot of rats on your hands. Also, I just have to add that keeping ANY rats in a space as small as a 20 gallon tank is cruelty.
Thank you very much for your reply.

I wanted to add, just so you don't think I'm being cruel, the 10 gallon tank has a wire cage extension that fits over the top. Plus, it's only temporary.

Proud owner of 4 pets

=Chloe - Brown Mackerel=

=Star - Hooded Black=

¤RIP Rocky¤
¤RIP Biscuit¤
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Rodentologist

Aquariums are not appropriate cages for rats at all, just to add in. They're very prone to respiratory problems, and the ammonia buildup that's possible in an aquarium, even a very clean one to human noses and hands, is dangerous to them and may trigger respiratory infections and other problems.

A nice, well-ventilated wire cage of an appropriate size is a much better choice. Even with the aquarium topper, you're making a glass fumigation box of ammonia at the bottom!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Ok thanks. I'll try and get this cage set up ASAP

Proud owner of 4 pets

=Chloe - Brown Mackerel=

=Star - Hooded Black=

¤RIP Rocky¤
¤RIP Biscuit¤
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Alrighty I finally got the cage set up with my new female rat Thanks for all the help!

Proud owner of 4 pets

=Chloe - Brown Mackerel=

=Star - Hooded Black=

¤RIP Rocky¤
¤RIP Biscuit¤
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

The birdcage you have will work fine, just take the grate out of the bottom and add some levels.

I would definitely advise not getting a male if you already have a female also.

*Missy*
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 02:30 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I also had 5 rats that were all females. They intro-ed extremely well. I didn't get them all at once i got 2, then 2 later, then 1 later. All accepted each other. My first dominate female then became 2nd in command after i got the second 2 and there weren't any real scuffles.

[/CENTER]

Tags
cage, decide, rat