Help! Fighting mice! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Help! Fighting mice!

I have two older mice, One is almost two years old, the other several months. My older mouse is getting old so I thought I'd introduce a new one into the mix! I have introduced other mice to them in the past with no troubles. But I brought home this small baby mouse that barely looks four weeks old. It eats food and the people at the pet store said not to worry. I introduced them on neutral grounds. At first it was just the little mouse squeaking and getting scared. I waited and watched about two hours before putting them into the cages I usually keep the ones I already have in. But the little on kept getting attacked! No blood was drawn but its non stop fighting. I got worried and separated the cages in fear this mouse was just too young and would get hurt. I cleaned all the cages very well before placing them all in them. They are all female too.

I am unsure of what to do with this situation. I've never had this problem.

Last edited by Almari7; 08-11-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: To add more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Adolescent Pup

Unfortunately I don't know much about mice but there are several very nice people here who do. Hopefully they will be along shortly to help you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where all pets are special!!
(New members welcome and always appreciated!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pop in and give us a look, and if you like what you see, we'd love to have you join our wonderful community
!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Are they males ? If so its not uncommon that they fight

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

None are males. I re-introduced them, and everything was fine. Until my older female started chasing the young one around. I know that's normal, but the little new mouse squeaks and gets so scared. As long as no ones getting hurt its okay though right? I just wasn't too sure. She seems to really chase her down, but I've never seen her catch up to the small one.

Last edited by Almari7; 08-15-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Newborn Pup

Its hard to say whats causing the fighting, could be any number of reasons so its hard to say without observing them myself but a couple of ideas.

1. The old female feels invaded, she has a newcomer in her cage and without any of her toys with her scent on it identifying it as hers she may feel the need to assert her dominance in her cage - suggestion - temporarily separate the two mice a couple of days and again clean the cage, in the cage you put the old one in make sure she has her wheel and a dwelling that has her and only her scent on it....replace these items in the cage unwashed (so they smell of her). This will give her a sense of possessiveness when she's in the cage with the newcomer.

2. They have to work things out....if the little one isn't physically getting injured (no blood) its probably a dominance thing and the little one needs to learn her place. (Its the old mouses cage). I would let them work things out. If things get to hectic....you can get a water bottle and spray the mice (they wont like this but its a humane way to break up the fight) (don't do this in a cold room)....but this is an extreme measure and shouldn't be used unless absolutely necessary.

Remember to re-introduce them on neutral ground before putting them back into the cage again.

Bottom line - Just like people, different animals have different personality's and just like we don't always get along with everybody.....neither do they. Consider the possibility they will not be compatible roommates