Help Help Help :( :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Unhappy Help Help Help :( :(

OMG i am crying my eyes out the worst thing has hapened to me
i give toto and novo each a biscut and they ran off to their spots in their cage and then as novo was eating it toto ran down and tried to get novos off of him and then toto attacked novo there is no blood but i seen the attack and i mean i am really shaken i took novo straight out and brought him downstairs with me i am so scared what can i do omg this is so bad i cannot stoop crying i put them back in together and toto is still trying to steal food of novo but they arnt fighting what am i gunna do i have no spare cages to seperate them please help me !!!

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Please someone i know it has only been a few minutes but i am freaking out

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hun, relax. Don't freak out yet. Toto must think he is dominant to steal food from his brother. I'm pretty sure you got them young? Many male rats go through an aggressive time where they have to prove their toughness (I think it's usually supposed to occur between 3-6 months). Toto is trying to establish himself as the alpha. For now just separate them to give them treats and they can hopefully still live together. It will most likely settle down.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

They are still like play fighting at the moment but like toto has always stole food and if he thinks you have food in your hand he wont leave you untill he realises there is no food there. i found a wound on novo about a week ago its healing now but these are my first rats and i am really freaking out i am so scared to go near them incase they fight they are my whole world and thank you for getting back to me hun x
So should i feed them away from eachother eg. treats and that ?
Also toto is ALOT ALOT fatter then novo but novo always tries to hump toto but he never steals food

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 06:02 PM

Don't know about rats, but when my two female dogs hog treats and food from each other, I sneak and give the other one and equal share without the other noticing. hehe Maybe you can sneak some treats to Novo by hand if his get taken away. Hopefully they wont seriously hurt each other (I can't give advice about that part). Good luck!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

And yes i got them when they where about 8/9 weeks and they have never been agressive only toto by stealing novo's food .

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks fluke.
Yeah i try but toto takes his treat and hides his then takes novos and eats novo's but wont eat his own novo is much thinner then him aswell im just really freaked out and scared out of my mind

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well, I don't think there is any real danger in the situation, as long as Novo is still getting enough to eat. You say he's thin, but I'm sure (I hope, lol) he is not skinny to the point of being unhealthy. Take the rats for some one-on-one time to give them their treats. That way Novo will at least get some yummies, and Toto may become more relaxed about it if his bro is not around.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot no hes not skinny LOL hes just alot smaller then toto.
Also its funny because 24/7 novo tries to hump toto and always starts the playfighting he pounces on him and annoys him LOL but man that really scared me to death thought i was gunna die of a heartattack thanks again i just hope it doesnt happen again x

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 06:51 PM

I have to separate my two boys when I give them treats. If I don't, Kenshin will attack Yuki and steal whatever he has. I usually hold on to Kenshin while Yuki eats his treats. I just want you to know that your rats are not the only rats that do this!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Thats really reassuring to know thanks alot !
Has your rats ever attacked one another ?
x

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 03:39 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

my rats can be noisy and get a bit silly when there is food around. my rats do squeak quite loud sometimes and if Arthur squeaks, it's normally just because another ratty has gone near him, all Rayray has to do is give Arthur a look in the eyes when Arthur is eating and Arthur will give a high pitched squeak and turn his back LOL
Don't worry hun, they are just going through one of those stages and you could try to set a certain time for them to eat in the day, take Novo out for his share and than put him back and get toto out for his share and do this like 2-3 time a day and you could also put a few bowls of food out when they are free ranging so they have a larger space and they can get away to their own hiding places.
Good luck hun, please don't freak out to much lol
xxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks people it was really bad tho the way he attacked him i just seen all the aggression come out that i never new they had it was really scary thanks i will try just hope it never happens again

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Will It Ever Change?

oh miss claire, you must relax! rats will annoy each other just like humans with siblings. they will test or alternate dominance just like human teenagers. remember no blood no foul, period.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Jird Jostler

Dont freak out just make sure that there are no bad injuries and you'll be fine. Check them regularly though 'cos this happened with my two male jirds ( Tom and Jerry ..hehe) and Tom bit two of Jerry's toes off, off course this meant i had to separate them .. I am sure this will not happen with rats though 'cos they are meant ot live better together than jirds..

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.

Tags
male rat