Help I am new! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Help I am new!

Hi guys,

I joined the forum as I've just bought my first mouse. Mister Winston Shiny-sides and I want to make his life as good as possible. Since most of you are very knowledgeable about rodents I thought I would ask your advice.

I have had little Shiny-sides for two weeks now and he seems happy and healthy enough, he eats, drinks and runs in his wheel every day. But he is increasingly making funny little squeaks that sound like sneezes and his head kind of jerks when he does it. He doesn't seem unwell. Could it be allergic reaction to something in his cage? I use toilet paper and kitchen paper nesting and sawdust bedding for the cage. It is the recommended brand which I believe has no oils in which would irritate him but it does smell quite woody. I am considering replacing the sawdust with hay next time I clean him out. Do you think this is a good idea? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:05 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hi there and welcome.

The sawdust is most likely the problem.Sawdust is usually very dusty,not to mention could be very harmful.Depending on what kind of woods were used.

Aspen is a good idea and what I use.I have never had problems on aspen.Sometimes I mix Yesterday's News with it.

If he continues sneezing and gets worse,he will probably need antibiotics from the vet.But make sure you find a vet that specializes in rodents.When I had mice,I was turned away! I do have a rat vet now though.Dog and cat vets usually don't know rodents.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks a lot, I know it's not cedar or pine sawdust but other than that not sure what it is. I will try some shredded newspaper and maybe some hay and see if that improves him. Thanks again Lisa, I hate being new and ignorant about rodents but really want the best for my little mouse! There is a lot of conflicting info on the net :S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:44 PM
RAT ADDICT

Your welcome.
Shredded newspaper works too.
No,your not ignorant since your asking and learning.
Good luck!

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

You can also use care freash or critter care as well as news paper. Also you can train a mouse to use a litter pan sice you only have one to work with. They love hamics and fleece stuff. You can buy or make your own.
Some people use soft wood bedding that has been dryed and all oils removed and is not as dusty as sawdust. Ceder and pine can cause problems on thier respatory system.
The fun Mouse and the AFRMA are great for finding info on mice. Also so new smells will make them sneeze and stuff but if his head is jerking and he is doing it a lot them I would change the bedding. The best thing you can do is ask questions to people who know about these things. And yes some sites have some bad info but also some sites I have found are very old and have not been updated in a long time.
Diamond

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you all very much, loads of useful into there! I am going to find some new bedding for him today, although he did seem a lot better yesterday there is still the occasional squeak and I don't want him to be uncomfortable. I read about Pine and Cedar so I knew not to get him that but despite the fact his wood bedding says its safe for mice, I'm not sure what kind of wood it is or whether it's okay for little Winston.

I would love to train Winston to go in a litter pan! The first cage I had for him was kindof big (I think more of a hamster cage) and he wouldn't go down the steeper tubes so just used them to pee down. The smell got unbearable so I got him a Habitrail Mini which is specially for mice I believe with a few add ons. Now he seems to pee in his den! I clean it out every three days but would like to leave some familiar nesting stuff in there for him but can't due to it being so smelly and wet!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 03:41 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Mice and rats ushally dont potty were they sleep but some do I think this is to say mine. I have had both mice and rats do this the more thier is the more that this ushally seems to be the case for me but more so with my males in both mice and rats then the females. It could be a male thing or he could be senting all things so it smells like him. There should be stuff that tells of why they may potty in their dens or nesting area. I know that sometimes if they dont like it they will as well but there is so many things that it can be and why they do things that some times is not listed we humends just have to learn to listen. BUt I belive your little mouse is happy in his home.
You have to have 20 post I think it still is before you can post pics of him and his place but you should beable to put some up of him on your profile. Is he a satin? is that why he has the shiny sides part to his name? I bet he is a little cutey.
Diamond

Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hi Diamond, your babies are so cute! Yes he is a satin mouse, I put a little pic in my avatar but it's hard to see. I tried to post a link from photobucket but it says its invalid. Maybe due to the 20 post quota you mentioned. He seems really happy today, I spent a few hours making him a cardboard maze in a giant shoe box and thought it was a pretty good maze but he sussed it out and found the prize in about 20 seconds lol. He still wanted to keep doing it though, maybe just enjoying the new scenery hehe.

Thanks for your helpful advice about his den problems. His nest seems dryer now but still slightly scented. Ill try leaving a little layer of old nesting when I replace some to reassure him of his scent.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 PM
RAT ADDICT

I love satins! I used to have a couple of satin mice before.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Thanks mice are so cute the satins to me look like were either just painted or not real becuase of the matalic shine they have. They shure do stand out from the plain ones. Mazes are great excersize for them and stimulization pardon my spelling. Mice can be tought to do things like rats and dogs can. making them diffrent mazes and things like even a little agility course and stuff is not only fun for you but for them.
Diamond

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I read something quite disturbing on the net today about satin mice that they have been so inbred that they are plagued by illness and premature death. I really hope that is not true of Winston Shiny-sides. I have only had him three weeks but love him to bits already. When I bought him I was very ignorant about mice, he just looked the healthiest and shiniest and most lively of the bunch so I chose him. I had no idea that the satin ones were poorly bred

Tags
mouse, sawdust, sneezing, squeaking