HELP! I think my pet mouse is dying!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

HELP! I think my pet mouse is dying!!!

I have a female white mouse named Milo who is a little over a year old. I went to check on her this morning and found her to be swollen and her pink eyes are now mostly white. She won't eat or drink anything, even her favorite treats. All the vet offices are closed today! She's very cold and I have her on a towel on top of a heating pad to keep her warm, not hot. The swelling has gone down and she looks skinny everywhere except her face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Try to locate an emergency vet in your area, they're open when the other offices are closed. If you call the regular vet, they might even have a recording that'll direct you to one that's open.

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

It does sound like she is "on the way out".
I am sorry.You can try calling a vet,but there just might not be anything you can do for her now,except try to keep her as comfortable as possible.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

I don't think there's anything anybody can do at this point. I was just hoping there was a miracle trick to try :'( I'm trying to keep her warm, she's had a bit of water but not much. I think one of her lungs has collapsed because everytime she breathes I hear a clicking sound. I feel so bad that there's nothing I can do to help her; I mean she has to be in a great deal of pain
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

You could try to syringe some water into her, but at this point it would probably be uncomfortable and I would just leave her.

I'm very sorry.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

She is progressively getting worse. Her eyes are getting very glassy and turning white and her movement is even more limited. She's barely coming out of her house. She'll come to her water dish but I don't think she's drinking anything. She puts her paws on the edge of it and just stares blankly. I wish I could do something for her if she's in pain
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:23 PM
RAT ADDICT

If she is suffering,then maybe you should make the decision to have her humanly euthanized.I know it is hard to do,but sometimes it is for the best.

* Lisa *

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

She made some improvement today, not sure if it is significant enough though. She ate a couple yogurt chips, a cheese curl, and some granola along with lots of water. She is moving about her cage sniffing around and wandering. She even ran on here wheel briefly tonight. I'm hoping this means she is getting better. She cleaned herself a lot today but her fur still looks somewhat stringy and not very smooth and shiny. Her eyes are still white but were more open today and alert. She still seems weak but not as much as she was considering she ran on her wheel today. I hope she gets better in the next few days and if she shows no sign of improvement I will make an appointment with a vet that a co-worker told me about near where she lives. I'm hoping I don't have to take her because I may not be able to afford a vet bill. Wish me (and Milo) luck!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Good Luck!
I hope she is getting better, but sadly sort of same thing was happening to me with my mouse, she seemed better with the stringy fur. I didn't know any better at the time It sounds like a possible URI.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 AM
RAT ADDICT

Well good luck,but even if she is improving,this may not mean much.Either way good luck and I do hope things look up.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some answers as to whats wrong with her. Hopefull doc can fix her!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 08:47 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica11327 View Post
Thank you! I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some answers as to whats wrong with her. Hopefull doc can fix her!
Oh good luck! Keep us updated.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

I have awful news :'( Milo died tonight. She began having seizures around 8:30 and there was nothing I could do to save her. She had seizures for about an hour and then passed away. Thank you everyone for your advice, thoughts, and well wishes. I know she is in a better place and is not in pain anymore. Best luck to all of you with your pets!

Squeaks,
Jessica
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I was really dreading opening this thread to see this. I'm so sorry for your loss, but she is happy now.
You probably couldn't have saved her at the vet.
Rest in Peace Milo

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry for your loss.
R.I.P Milo.

* Lisa *