HELP...I've run into another problem:( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question HELP...I've run into another problem:(

Okay, now that Pearli has taken over mothering this other litter (6 - 6 week old babies, 4 girl/2 boy). She been a MUCH happier rat. Now...they were roomed at first with my daughter, in her room ( for the past 2 weeks), and I let my daughter allow Pearli to run-free in her room. Well, today, my daughter got grounded, for not being nice to her sisters (lol, I know), and I moved Pearli out of her room (that she was used to running around, every other day...free) to my room. All of a sudden she doesn't want to stay in her cage, but she doesn't want us to hold onto her either...she wants to be let down either on top of, or next to her cage.....and she behaving VERY determined!!! She's demanding that we get her out, but she's trying so hard to show us that she wants to be let down outside the cage, that she's almost falling off of us Its hard to even put her back in her cage...she tries to jump up in the top of it....HELP! She's obviously wanting so badly to do SOMETHING....BUT WHAT?!? I'm confused My husband and I took our door off the hinges like a year ago because our middle child kept trying to lock our youngest out....so I don't feel comfortable with her running free in a 3 br apartment...she could get lost or hurt...any ideas to calm her desperation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 04:00 AM

She might want to run free in the girls bedroom. :C
Unfortunately mum rats arent found of change, they sometime can get severely agitiated when their surroundings change. Its very important to her that her area is navigated and mapped so she can decipher whether she needs to move the nest or stay put. Its possible she just wants to check her new area out to check for danger.

Unless shes aloud to run about, I doubt that shell rest untill she feels her brood is safe.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I hope the male babies are separated from the females by now. At 6 weeks they are old enough to get their sisters or Pearli pregnant.

As for Pearli, she wants to explore and have fun. Try getting her a playpen with a cover so that she can't climb out. The Marshall's small animal playpen is what I have, but the bar spacing is 1" and if she is very small she might be able to squeeze out. She should be supervised while in the pen, even if you think she can't get out.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Remove those 6 week old boys ASAP...they are almost fertile and you don't need more

You conditioned Pearlii to all this freedom and you are actually punishing her along with your daughter. I think you should let Pearlii go back to your daughter's room and figure out something else you can remove as punishment.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 05:43 PM

she only has the female pups. her other thread says so.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuza View Post
she only has the female pups. her other thread says so.

I just went by the info in this thread

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Tags
mothering problems