HELP ME! Need Advise! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation HELP ME! Need Advise!

Okay....I think I may be in over my head. I first got one rat (pearli) for my daughter a little over a month ago and she has been sooo attached to her to the point that she won't let me hold her for more than 5 minutes. So after careful consideration and much discussion with my husband, I decided to get myself a rat. I wanted a young one...like 5 to 8 weeks old. I answered a Craigs list posting that a man in my area (city) had a litter around the age I was looking for. So we packed up the whole family and headed to get [JUST ONE]. Upon arriving my oldest daughter hopped out of the car with my husband and I to look at the little cuties. The man said that he was REALLY needing to get rid of at least a whole litter (6) because he had over 36....so he managed to talk us into taking all six (4 girls, 2 boys). When we got home I planned on putting them in my cage in my room....BUT upon introducing them to Pearli (my daughters rat), she decided that she wanted to keep them and she immediately grabbed them and took them into her cage (she's a wonderful mother)....So once again MY CAGE IN MY ROOM WAS EMPTY. So....I did something that I'm not sure is "smart" or "stupid". I went on a search for a Dumbo (I've wanted one for quite a while, but couldn't find any), I finally found 2....I got 1 for me and my daughter threw a bloody fit for one so I got the other for her. NOW I HAVE A GRAND TOTAL OF NINE (9) RATS! My big concern is this: 3 are Very skidish, 2 are a little skidish, and 2 are sweet as can be. I find that the 3 skidish ones don't seem to be calming down and the two sweet ones keep getting sweeter...Oh, we handle each rat between 30 minutes to an hour each....but I do admit that Pearli gets much more than the others because my daughter loves her SOOOO much and she's been with us longer). Anyways, I can't figure out why the 5 that aren't as comfortable with us AREN'T loosening up, yet the two (Pearli and one of the abnormally sweet male babies) keep improving daily....HELP!!!!! Advise PLEASE!!!! By the way...I've attached some pics I JUST took of Ms. Pearls and my new Dumbo Luna. Hope you enjoy the pictures!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 213216.jpg (43.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 213357.jpg (41.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 214616.jpg (32.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 214337.jpg (38.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 214842.jpg (35.9 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Get those males out of the cage with the females!!!!!! You will have MANY MANY more than 9 soon.

Each of your girls can have any where up to 13ish babies.

Just keep working with them offer treats sit in the bath tub with them with out water and they will explore you.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Just keep it up and you need to be patient with them and hopefully they will eventually calm down...but it will take some time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Males have been in a separate cage for a few weeks now.....I knew the dangers of thats early on....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

We keep the baby male in a large cage RIGHT NEXT to the others so they're all close (but not close enough to get anyone pregnant )
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

*males
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

then steal the boy cage for your room

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:31 PM

They just need time and love, from my experience, to calm down and start being just as loving. I had a rat that was VERY skittish for the first 5 months of her life, but with patience she eventually came around. Now she's (Bella) one of my most loving rats, she kisses constantly and won't leave me alone when she's out haha.

I used to take Bella out with her sisters and her mom when she was young and scared and she would start to come out from behind the pillows when she would see that the other babies were loving my attention. But if I tried to pet her or made any sudden movement, she was back into hiding. So I found that when I would let her approach me, she was much more comfortable with being petted and loved on. And after time, she is just as caring as the other ones.

So I would say to just give them time, and let them become comfortable on their own time. I'm sure they will come around, they are very young. They might not have been handled as much as they should have been, since the guy had so many babies at once.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:37 PM

I agree with Shannon, with my rats i sit my hands inside the cage, and when they are out I lay next to their hiding spots. I dont move and I let them come to me and play with my hands and shirt ETC. Most of the time its takes a bit of patience but after a while they eventually just sit on top of you. XD

Tags
rat help!