Help--Mooshoo and Pancake have mites?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Help--Mooshoo and Pancake have mites??

Hey, all.

So, yesterday, we noticed a little scab near Pancake's neck. Today, we noticed two on Mooshoo. We first thought they were fighting (though, they get along really well), but after a quick internet search, I now think they have mites.

Here's the question: HOW did they get them? Their cage is kept meticulously clean. We have a huge metal cage (the 2-story Critter Nation cage just for the 2 of them) and only a very small litter pan. Other than that, there's no bedding aside from a couple of cubes and some felt blankets.

Here's another question: it is Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday. That means we can't talk to our vet until Tuesday. Is there any way to treat them/help them until then? Will they be okay if we don't get medicine until Tuesday?

And finally: If it is coming from the litter (Yesterday's News), are our bunnies in trouble, too? They use the same litter.

Thanks for your help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by emiliewasmyeve; 05-26-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 05:47 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

So no paper or wood based beddings or litter besides YN? Its possible its the YN, but have you added any new toys like that?

Your bunnies will be safe as the buggies only like rats.

Here is an article I created on ectoparasites...

http://lilspazrats.wikispaces.com/He...toparasites%29

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Nope--nothing wood or paper. Though, every now and then, they steal a paper towel from us and drag it into their house.

We're going to try freezing this batch of YN before using it and see if that helps.

Thanks for this info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Could it be food allergies instead? I've read that the symptoms of both are very similar
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

What I do when my rabbits get mites is use vegetable oil. I would imagine this would work similar for your ratties. If anything, try it. I see this post was posted at least a week ago so i'm hoping you already found a solution but if not, try this, not to much, just enough to suffocate the mites.Goodluck.

We strive to make the safest products out there with the best customer service at unbeatable prices.

Serving the Exotic pets since 2005

Dogs, Cats, Ferrets. Rabbits, Mice, Hamsters, Sugar Gliders, Chinchilla's and more!

4 Rabbits
- 3 Gliders
-6 Ratties

2 kitties
- 1 dog