HELP! never seen this before - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

HELP! never seen this before

I've owned tons and ton of rats but i've never seen this before. My 8week old girl is opening and closeing her mouth. Almost acting like she's going to puke and theres a small "click" nosie each time she closes her mouth? I've tried giving her water, I'm tryed Sucking over her mouth in case something is down there. I've tried rubing her throat and holding her upside down to help it possibly fall out. Is she choking? she must be breathing or she would be dead? Please someone help, i've called the emergency vet but they are dealing with a colicing horse and wont be ready for an hour! and they don't even know if he sees rats. PLease can someone tell me if i'm worring over nothing?

My Kids:6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

OK...is she standing facing forward. does she reach down her head, stretch back her ears, and open her mouth? This is choking. Let her sort it out herself. The only thing you have to worry about is if it goes on for more than 4-5 hours, or if she stops breathing (very rare). they don't want to be comforted, they just want to get it up themselves. They also may drool as well...horrid to watch but normal. You do not need a vet...

They can choke on things like bread, peanut butter, lab block they inhaled etc...

I think I have a link of a video of a rat choking., I'll go look for it.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Courtesy of Steph and Elmer...classic choking. Once they recover they are just fine while you are all stressed out and scared.

They work very hard at moving whatever is stuck. You can see him drool and do the funny eye/ear stretch (think of it as a retch).

Steph offered me this link because I was telling her I keep videos adn pics on all sorts of things to help other people (especially in situations like this), but my rats hadn't obliged me with choking yet.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

It's almost just like that... *breaths* I feel better but not at the same time. I've also take a vedio, I do believe she is choking but I can't think of what she got a hold of! I'm waiting for the darn movie to load , I think she is choking.... wow Lord I hope she's ok *holding her in lap at the moment*

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

YouTube - Xandria She's not making those loud noises and isn't really twiching as much.. just a constant little click noise.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Last edited by uMgaziRatRescue; 05-20-2007 at 08:56 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Is the click when she's opening her mouth?

Does she do the stretch down like she's trying to puke or gag?

Open mouth breathing is a severe sign or respiratory illness but usually builds up into this rather than suddenly like choking.

Its most likely choking and she needs to work it out herself. I never figured out what Frigg choked on when she choked for 5 hours...I stayed up all night with her. The next day I was exhausted and she was happily eating her food with bright eyes...ugh.

Its a horribly extreme thing to see, but its how they work stuff out themselves since they can't vomit etc. The drool always scared me.

How long has it been now?

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I cleaned cages today and she was fine then (about 3ish hours ago) Her ears don't move at all. The click is when she closes her mouth kind of like: *open mouth, starts to close *click* closes mouth, Opens mouth etc* Thnx for your help lilspaz, i'm keeping an eye on her. She's running around her cage and climbing the walls which seems sort of wierd to me but at least she seems to be feeling better. Still making the gag/puke movements though. Did the movie help at all?

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

wierd
let us know how she is tomorrow
just weird

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by uMgaziRatRescue
I cleaned cages today and she was fine then (about 3ish hours ago) Her ears don't move at all. The click is when she closes her mouth kind of like: *open mouth, starts to close *click* closes mouth, Opens mouth etc* Thnx for your help lilspaz, i'm keeping an eye on her. She's running around her cage and climbing the walls which seems sort of wierd to me but at least she seems to be feeling better. Still making the gag/puke movements though. Did the movie help at all?
You have one of 2 things going on right now.
1) Choking....which she'll work out herself
2) Open mouth breathing - bad sign Is she running around frantically or is it rather normal? They often like to go the the top of the shelf or a ramp and hang their head down...it seems to help them breathe. they usually stay really still then run frantically to breathe. I hate this.
I am adding 2 videos of open mouth breathing.
Rafiki (chronic respiratory)

Maya (PT and developed resp. problems that night)

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

She's not frantic, She'll crawl up the side of her cage when I walk in and out of my room. Then just stop and breath , Thnx again for the help. The vet called back and said he wouldn't know the first thing to do about a rat (just great huh?) so I'm stuck till tomorrow morning.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I'm sorry you are going through this. See if she will settle down and rest. If she's back to normal in the morning it was a choking session. If not you'll have to get her meds for respiratory.

Good luck, my thoughts are with you.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

thank you so much Lilspaz, I'm probley going to end up staying up with her. She seemed to stop but I think I was just thinking I saw her stop. Thank you again so much!

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by uMgaziRatRescue
thank you so much Lilspaz, I'm probley going to end up staying up with her. She seemed to stop but I think I was just thinking I saw her stop. Thank you again so much!
Here's a tip for staying up with a choking rat. If you have to sleep (she needs to rest too since its exhausting) then keep one hand resting near/on her body to make sure she is breathing and doze a little. thats what i did with Frigg and it worked well.

Good luck and I am hoping it has stopped.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Yea my scofield would climb on top of his cage right before he was dying and looked down (he was a 3 year old rat battling a URI...the vet wanted to treat it but it kicked his butt) Jack would run up on top of him and look down too to see what he was looking at.

Take her to the vet to see what they say.

Scofield choked onces before too but it was for a second....it happened so quick, I couldn't even yell my boyfriend's name.

*Missy*
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

When one of my females died just recently she was doing the same thing. I've also had another female die like that a couple of years ago and they both did the "gasping" or open mouth breathing with a distinct click...I'm fairly sure that in most cases it has something to do with a respiratory infection that's gotten out of hand =[. Keep us updated.

Tags
emergency vet, lab block, respiratory infection, vet visit