Help orphaned babies :( - Page 5 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Im still not sure about this, to be perfectly honest she seems ok on her own. Im very worried that in getting a cage mate I could end up with one of the opposite sex, which as it would be a differant breed of mouse, I would be very worried about them breeding.
To be perfectly honest the last thing I need is a litter of more baby mice! lol

Saying that I would hate to think of her being bored and lonely?

What do you think would be best, as I have 0 experiance of mouse ownership.
Also will she use a hamster wheel if I put it in for her?

proud owner of
Sam......3yr old pedigree whippet male
Jasper ande zee......hand reared male feral cats, both black, both brothers, both ENORMOUS 6yrs
Tinkerbelle.....hand reared female tabby cat 2 years, too intelligent for her own good
Cisko.....chinese dwarf hamster app 5 months and very cute

plus 3 baby mice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 07:02 PM
laugh often

Most pet shop mice are older and you can see the testicles clear as day. It would be very hard to mistake them as long as ong as they are older and not just weaned kinda thing. But I do understand your dilema since she is a wild rescue. I have never adopted a mouse from the wild. But most females are quite social by nature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #63 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

You also have to remember; there is a difference between pet mice(which are domesticated house mice), and the typical orphaned wild mouse, which is typically a field or Deer mouse as those are the most wide-spread. Their groupings work completely different, and you can't attribute female house mice workings to other female wild mice. Female pet mice are communal nesters, and thus very gregarious. Wild mice like Deer Mice, or White-footed mice, may have over-lapping territories, but don't intentionally nest together. Bubbles : Is this for sure a FIELD mouse, or a Deer/White-footed mouse? Because even Field mice probably have different gregarious levels in comparison to Deer mice and pet mice. If it's a Deer mouse, I spoke to an infrequent member here who had success with female Deer mice living with other female pet mice, but personally, even if my orphan had been female, I wouldn't have taken the risk with them being different species and all. Personally I'd say given she has wild heritage, she might agitate a female roommate whose personality has been tamed down due to domestication. But that's just my opinion. If you have uncertainty about it bubbles, don't do it! Listen to your gut instinct.

In any case, the first step is to identify whether your orphan is indeed a Field mouse, or a Deer mouse. And then look into the behavioral/gregarious patterns for that species. I only know of the gregariousness of Deer mice, so..

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 02-28-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

WELL......LoL

I just went on google images to look at pics of both mice, um.....needless to say that didnt help, they look the same! lol

So if ok with you guys I am now going to nip upstairs and take her pic, and see ifany of you can help determine what she is!

proud owner of
Jasper ande zee......hand reared male feral cats, both black, both brothers, both ENORMOUS 6yrs
Tinkerbelle.....hand reared female tabby cat 2 years, too intelligent for her own good

plus 3 baby mice
post #65 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Deer mouse : http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...jpg/medium.jpg They have unmistakable large, upright ears, and their face is straight.

Field mouse/Wood mouse : http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/photos...mouse-3794.jpg Appear to have much more relaxed ears and a downward sloping face

Apparently Deer mice are the prototype for Field mice. I didn't know that, sorry! Apparently the Field mouse's more accurate name is the Wood mouse.
post #66 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

OOOOO the top one the top one.....totally her
So sweet.....x

Thank you for adding these.

Some things I have noticed, one in particular, she is like a very very small kangaroo? If that makes sense? She has very very big back feet and seems to hop as opposed to walk.

She is adorable, and I love her too bits x

proud owner of

plus 3 baby mice
post #67 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yup, Deer mouse. That's what my orphan was. They only cross each others' paths if their territories happen to overlap, but beyond that they're not intentionally gregarious. They do kinda hop - they're VERY good at jumping, which is how I lost track of my Muse the first time, because I left the cover off to do something real quick and figured there was NO way he'd make it up there. ..I was wrong, lol. They live up to about 5 years in captivity.

My Muse loved almonds and cherry pits. We actually buried him with an almond so he'd have it to enjoy in the afterlife,

There's something about them..everyone here misses Muse. And from time to time someone will say, "Boy, I really miss that mouse." They seem to be easy to love to bits,
post #68 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Oh how lovely that you berried him with an almond

And I am so so pleased she can live so long in captivity, as I was a bit upset thinking I only had 2 years with her.
Have been shopping today and bught her some yummy treats and some meadow hay to have as bedding. Have also put the hamster wheel in today, so hoping she will learn to use it so she can get some exercise.

Thank you so much for all your help and advice these past weeks. As soon as I can keep her still long enough I will get some pics

RIP muse xx

proud owner of

plus 3 baby mice
post #69 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

This is cute: the other day my fiance's dad was cleaning out one of the rooms, and picked up a rolled-up carpet that was resting vertically against the wall. A stock-pile of about 40 almonds fell out.

LOL! Apparently the mouse that I've heard scurrying around up there raided my fiance's mom's nut bag of ONLY the almonds to store them in his cache. So yeah..Deer mice REALLY like almonds!
post #70 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That is so adorable! Out came the almond stash! What a cute story, ha ha!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #71 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
This is cute: the other day my fiance's dad was cleaning out one of the rooms, and picked up a rolled-up carpet that was resting vertically against the wall. A stock-pile of about 40 almonds fell out.

LOL! Apparently the mouse that I've heard scurrying around up there raided my fiance's mom's nut bag of ONLY the almonds to store them in his cache. So yeah..Deer mice REALLY like almonds!

So sweet
I have not been shopping yet this week but am definately going to treat my little girlie.

I bough both her and hammy so chewy sticks, and though to make it interesting for her I would hang it from the top of the cage so she has to work to get it.
I was thinking of moving it lower as she didnt seem to be eating it but
Last night I popped into check on my daughter and she had managed to not only grab on to stick but was right at the top and eating the very top of it
She is a real pleasure to watch, and literally runs ALL over me when I get her out, I have to be careful or she goes down my top or round the back of my neck and in my hair hehe.
She can run on a flat surface almost vertically too, which is pretty impressive. Def the best pet ever

proud owner of

plus 3 baby mice

Tags
baby, mice, orphaned