Help please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Unhappy Help please

I've had one rat, Daisy, for about 8 months.
I am starting school again soon and so I figured since I wouldn't have as much time to be with her at home, I would get her a friend in time for school.
So I started looking for ratteries in Georgia, and found a very reputable breeder.
I filled out all the necessary paperwork and brought the new rat home a few weeks ago. I waited the necessary three weeks for quarantine and then introduced Daisy to Minnie (the baby) on my bed.
I bathed them both, put a bit of vanilla on each of them, let them sniff each other out for a while, and then gave them a can of tuna to share (which they thoroughly enjoyed).
I let themselves get used to each other for about 6 hours before putting them in the same cage. (Yes, it is big enough for two, and yes, I washed the cage and rearranged the items in the cage before putting them back in it)
Everything seemed to be going well at first, just as planned (Minnie sometimes tries to burrow under Daisy, although I've heard of that happening before).
They've been together for a couple of days now, and I'm a bit worried about Daisy, my oldest. She sometimes grooms Minnie a bit too hard (I've heard that's called power grooming) and she seems a little more tired than usual.
I know that Minnie is a lot younger than she is, so my question is this:
Did I wait too long to get Daisy a friend? (She's been alone in her cage since she was 2 mos.)
Was it a bad idea to get her a friend so much younger than she is?
Or is this normal behavior for a rat adjusting to a new roommate?
Thank you so much for reading all of this, I know it's very long, but I am worried for them; they're my babies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 04:53 PM
is a little "special"

Although Ive never bonded rats (or had any of my own), their behavior seems pretty normal for newly bonded animals too me.
Daisy is probably just tired from what a couple of big day shes had, meeting a new friend and all.
Its never too late to get your pet a friend, and its acually better to inroduce a yougner animal to a smaller animal, because there are less dominance issues to sort out (oldest is automaticly dominant).
Good luck, and I hope I helped!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
rat depression new baby