Help please! My mice are so scared! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Help please! My mice are so scared!

My mice Maggie and Maya are so scared and unsocialized and I don't know what to do. I play with them and sit by their cage and talk to them, but they are really skittish and I can hardly catch them.

I got out Maggie today and I set her on a blown up air mattress and I was just going to play with her, but she was running around very fast and trying to get off the mattress. I laid a blanket for her to play on with a paper towel tube for her to hide in. She climbed underneath the towel. So I just decided to put her back and try again later, but it took me about 15 minutes just to catch her and I finally had to give up and grab her by the tail. I was trying to pick her up by her waist and she started squeaking. Is it just because she's scared? I was thinking maybe she was scared because she was alone without Maya and they are hardly apart. Is there any good ways to help them get socialized? Should I let them run around on my floor or something? Thanks in advance. I truly appreciate it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

How old are they? What age and where did you get them from?

Well personally i would try the bathtub method everyday until they trust you.
Just pop them into the tub and you sit in the middle and they will need to go to you to feel secure, try this everyday and keep making it longer, and start trying to get them to take treats and leading onto you touching and then picking them up.
They should warm up too you ! Good luck.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 05:03 PM

lol joke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAG1992 View Post

lol joke
???????????????????????????????

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

?? Ok thanks so much. I was thinking about the bathtub, but I wasn't sure. I can't really let them on the floor in my room or anything because they are very fast. Thanks again

Well I have had Maya since about August this summer and when I got her she was just a baby. Wow, I just realized she's about a year old! Then Maggie, I got her in June and I have no clue how old she is because she is an adult.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Sorry I got Maya from petsmart and Maggie from a non chain pet store. A really good store where they take great care or the animals.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:48 PM

I would try the bathtub method cause there isnt anyway they can escape and run from you in there.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Thanks Thanks Thanks

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

I sorta have the same problem with my syrian hamster. She isn't skittish, but when I get her out to run around all she does is try to escape and hide from me. Should I use the same technique?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:33 PM

Yes, try that with your hammie too, some rodents respond pretty well to it, its really all about patients with them! Good luck.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Thanks...again

I will keep you updated!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 03:25 PM

one of my mice are really scared to. i don't have a bath tub would it work like if i went in the shower and closed the door?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm sure it would, just kinda the whole idea is to get them used to you and more confident in a safe area where they can't get away Good Luck

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 AM

ok i will try it.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Updates~ Day 1

First I put a few peanuts in the tub and a tube and their little igloo. Then i put the girls in and let them explore on their own. Maya went in the tube right away, which didn't surprise me because she is very skittish. Maggie was running all around and it seemed like she was actually having a good time. I reached my hand in there to try and pet her and she got scared and ran into the igloo. That's fine baby steps!! I didn't want to put them in there and have no where to hide if they got scared, that could be stressful for them.

I don't know exactly how long I was in there, at least 30 minutes though, I will time it next time. I was talking to them and then I climbed into the corner. At first they were both hiding and then Maggie was trying to climb all over me and she was exploring behind me and everything. I didn't expect her to like it so much. She sniffed all of my toes and I was so scared she was going to try to bite me, but she didn't. Maya stayed in the tube the whole time, except for once, she climbed out and was shaking so bad but she sniffed me and ran back into the igloo. I am so proud of her though, I didn;t except her to do that at all. I'll try some more later and tomorrow too.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

Tags
mcie, unsocialized