Help! poorly mousie! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Help! poorly mousie!

Heya everyone! Im new to all this so youll have to bear with me!

I recently got 3 new female mice (got them from a pet shop in May), recently one of them has developed what appears to be a tumor. Over the past couple of weeks its got quite large, but she seems in perfect health running around as normal and generally causing as much mischeif. However the lump is getting bigger and bigger, ive searched for local small animal vets and I took her to one locally but he just said that the best thing to do would be to leave it as shes too small to operate on!

I don't really know what to do, at times she seems quite lethargic such as during the day and things, but other times shes as hyperactive as the other too! her coat seems in good condition and her eyes are all sparky as normal, but I dont want her to get uncomfortable. Is there anything that anyone can suggest to keep her comfy? I understand she probably hasnt got long left but I want to make sure the time I do have with her shes happy. Also are there any foods that can give her immune system more strength? Any suggestions would be helpful!

Love to all

Cath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

She probably has a benign tumor, and the reason your vet can't operate is that the tumor needs blood and a lot of vessels have developped around it to keep the tumor alive so if your vet removed it, he would cut off the supply, but since it's big it would probably take too much blood from your pet
I don't know about the food, but if you keep treating her nicely, spoil her and all that good stuff, i think that's the best you can do!
And take her to the vet the minute you see she's in pain or uncomfortable, that's the best thing you can do for her!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question

Thanks! I think thats probably why he wont do it, I would have taken her sooner but its appeared so quickly! she seems alright now though, shes doing her normal trick of sitting on my shoulder and watching me type, and seems to be perfectly happy. Im just really worried I wont be able to recognise if shes in any pain tho. Does anyone know how to spot if mice are in pain? xxx xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 01:59 AM

Usually, they make very little noise, barely move around, and generally, you will notice their eyes are always half closed.

Tags
health, mouse, tumor